Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
dealers don't need to "earn their money" as sales are given to them on a plate, so they can just sit back and grin whilst watching the orders roll-in. 🥴
Well they could, but they might get more sales and hence a larger profit if they were to offer an incentive. What is the dealer margin on these cars - £1000? Then there is the opportunity to build a relationship for future sales and servicing.

If a dealer was for instance to offer free mats and boot liner that might have a rrp of £150 but in reality only costs them £50 they might attract buyers who might otherwise go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,851 Posts
I wonder how the RWD option performs in snow. Conventional wisdom is that 4x4 is required for good snow handling, but my experience of a FWD Nissan Leaf is that it handles OK in snow, and I put this down to the weight of the batteries. There is only a £3,500 price increase for AWD over RWD so that makes it tempting (but one has to offset the range reduction).
Tyres are the biggest factor in driving on snow. Weight might help with traction/grip, but it’s a double edged sword, you’re carrying more momentum if grip does let go.

AWD will also get you better traction, but braking will be as terrible on snow as any other car.

My own RWD ID.3 was pretty poor on snow over the winter on the factory tyres, but a pair of snow socks had it almost unstoppable.

Winter or all season tyres are what I use, and the latter are what I’ll fit when I’ve worn out the factory tyres that came on the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Spoke with dealer today as have others.
Common theme emerging of dealers not having much more information than us. So no dealer accessory list yet, no definite service schedule or cost, no real details about the inside of the car other than look at existing Kias for things like sunroofs.
The Kia Connect is an app that will allow charging set ups at home, pre--conditioning etc, free route planner. Its free.
KiaCharge is as others have said - what is the advantage over a credit card for most new chargers?
Sat Nav will do chargers on route but not availability - use Zap-Map was the suggestion.
No finance illustrations yet as waiting for CAP Valuations - probably June.
RAC membership included.
Yes you can assume highest NCAP rating due to the fancy electronics and driving aids.
Open Day in June/July unlikely to have drivable cars. Those will be here September/October and until you have driven a test car you can cancel and get your deposit back.
I've paid a £500 deposit to the dealer and I gather Kia will refund my £100 reservation fee by end of June at the latest as its now a dealer/customer relationship. So its a AWD red GT-Line S but no heat pump. My driving is likely to be mainly from home so can pre-condition and being on south coast unlikely to be that cold for long.
my dealer seems to think he will have all three models to drive and that includes the GT end of june

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any one want to take a guess as to what insurance is going to cost on the EV6 all wheel drive this will be this is my first EV but was considering a Tesla model 3 long range got quotes went from £400 to £1100 direct line being the cheapest and LV most expensive.
No point looking for quotes yet as the car is not in production

·
Registered
283 Posts
those who have visited dealers...... is there any info on what the default colour is on the GT S line?

·
Registered
283 Posts
OTA updates?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,851 Posts
OTA updates?
I wouldn’t get too excited about OTA updates a’la Tesla, at least not for the near future.

It’s really not clear if OTA updates outside of navigation and infotainment stuff is strictly legal under homologation and CoC rules.

Changing anything that alters the original specification strictly speaking requires the manufacturer to obtain a new type approval/CoC. Not impossible, but it’s the reason why manufacturers aren’t falling over themselves to implement it wholesale at the moment.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any one want to take a guess as to what insurance is going to cost on the EV6 all wheel drive this will be this is my first EV but was considering a Tesla model 3 long range got quotes went from £400 to £1100 direct line being the cheapest and LV most expensive.
No point looking for quotes yet as the car is not in production
A couple of days ago I obtained dummy quotes from Insurance Companies by using the nearest equivalent Tesla model. The lowest figure for an AWD Performance was from Direct Line @ £533 (Protected). The equivalent EV6 may or may not be in that region, especially as Direct Line have (or had) an arrangement with Tesla which resulted in lower repair costs and therefore lower Premiums. That said, Churchill was not much higher and in fact had much lower Compulsory Excess rates.

My local Kia Dealer would have me believe that the Group Ratings for the EV6 will be known shortly. My experience purchasing a Kona EV from sister Company Hyundai at launch in 2018 leaves me a bit sceptical. Likely Insurance Premiums are an important consideration for me because at nearly 80 years of age I am seen by many as being a much higher risk.

I previously carried out a similar exercise with the new Ioniq 5 and used a Broker in the belief that additional Driving Qualifications and accident free record would result in a lower Premium. Wrong - £1,800 Annual payment with a £1,000 Excess!

Judging by recently released statistics reporting average Insurance Costs it seems that I am out of touch with modern reality. In fact the figures reminded me of the eye watering Premiums that my Grandchildren have had to pay.

As an aside, I read recently that Elton Musk is thinking about setting up an Insurance Business to cover Tesla Cars. This would no doubt put the cat among the pigeons with established Companies. It would likely be beneficial to safe drivers due to the constant and comprehensive electronic monitoring of a person’s behaviour behind the wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A couple of days ago I obtained dummy quotes from Insurance Companies by using the nearest equivalent Tesla model. The lowest figure for an AWD Performance was from Direct Line @ £533 (Protected). The equivalent EV6 may or may not be in that region, especially as Direct Line have (or had) an arrangement with Tesla which resulted in lower repair costs and therefore lower Premiums. That said, Churchill was not much higher and in fact had much lower Compulsory Excess rates.

My local Kia Dealer would have me believe that the Group Ratings for the EV6 will be known shortly. My experience purchasing a Kona EV from sister Company Hyundai at launch in 2018 leaves me a bit sceptical. Likely Insurance Premiums are an important consideration for me because at nearly 80 years of age I am seen by many as being a much higher risk.

I previously carried out a similar exercise with the new Ioniq 5 and used a Broker in the belief that additional Driving Qualifications and accident free record would result in a lower Premium. Wrong - £1,800 Annual payment with a £1,000 Excess!

Judging by recently released statistics reporting average Insurance Costs it seems that I am out of touch with modern reality. In fact the figures reminded me of the eye watering Premiums that my Grandchildren have had to pay.

As an aside, I read recently that Elton Musk is thinking about setting up an Insurance Business to cover Tesla Cars. This would no doubt put the cat among the pigeons with established Companies. It would likely be beneficial to safe drivers due to the constant and comprehensive electronic monitoring of a person’s behaviour behind the wheel.
Well Kia have said that the EV6 will appeal more to the younger driver you and I have proved them wrong in that case I’m 73 this year.
Never been a fan of how insurance companies work, cars are now fast approaching a time that they can drive themselves they will stop if they see a hazard so there is less likelihood of you hitting something is greatly reduced but I think this has more to do with profit as to insuring the risk of any car/driver maybe.
Regarding Elon’s insurance don’t hold your breath on that one as I am hearing his premiums are often higher than others in America
Will have to wait and see what gets offered premium wise next month hoping a Kia is not going to be as expensive to repair as a Tesla.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well Kia have said that the EV6 will appeal more to the younger driver you and I have proved them wrong in that case I’m 73 this year.
Never been a fan of how insurance companies work, cars are now fast approaching a time that they can drive themselves they will stop if they see a hazard so there is less likelihood of you hitting something is greatly reduced but I think this has more to do with profit as to insuring the risk of any car/driver maybe.
Regarding Elon’s insurance don’t hold your breath on that one as I am hearing his premiums are often higher than others in America
Will have to wait and see what gets offered premium wise next month hoping a Kia is not going to be as expensive to repair as a Tesla.
To add a side note just got a qoute for a polstar 2 £360 Direct line

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone else received their £100 back from the pre-reservation? Got mine refunded today.

Also, does anyone know how many were actually ordered in the UK? My dealer had 9 leads, but only 3 orders.

Would also like to know what model/colour people have gone for.

I went for GT-Line S, AWD in Matte steel grey with a heat pump.

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
My order was for midnight black GT Line S (no heat pump). Dealer did not hint at other sales, but I guess we will get a flavour at the 'exclusive events planned for the first set of those ordering.

I was talking to a friend who works in the car industry and he said that in the coronavirus period dealers had actually seen very good sales and he put that down to some people having more available income as there has been less spending on big ticket items like foreign holidays. But he also said that he felt over the longer term the economic impact of Brexit on jobs and the economy would likely lead to a contraction of the UK car industry.

101 - 120 of 253 Posts