Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think this is the most important bit:
The ‘Easy’ tariff is ideal for light users, with a one-off £1.99 charge to access the service and obtain their KiaCharge RFID card. With no monthly subscription fees, most charging stations instead require a £0.49 ‘session fee’ when users plug in (except chargers on the bp pulse and Pod Point networks), with users paying per kWh of electricity.

The ‘Plus’ tariff is the ideal option for those who rely more heavily on public charging. They simply pay a £2.99 monthly tariff, with no up-front charge or session fees. Like the ‘Easy’ tariff, users also pay per kWh, but earn an additional 15 per cent discount per kWh from most networks (except bp pulse, Pod Point and IONITY).
You can also add on top of that the BP Pulse or IONITY subscriptions, basically you can get the KiaCharge RFID to use on those networks.

For me the only question is whether the KiaCharge RFID is worth the 2 quid?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,558 Posts
It looks like they've hit the ground with good coverage of the networks. I wonder what the per kW cost is. I signed up for Octopus juice and, so far, have only used it with Osprey. There's no particular benefit in that example. It isn't really any easier than using a contactless credit card. If you use the Osprey app you get enough of a discount per kW that it's worth doing in my opinion.

It's going to come down to convenience vs the best value. The integration with BP's subscription is a great addition though.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way I see it, you still have to pay the normal "per kWh" for every charging network if you are on "Easy". That comes with a 50p connection fee, I'm also assuming on top of any network-specific connection fee. So, with Ospray for example, you will have to pay your 36p per kWh and 50p connection fee.

If you are on "Plus", you will not pay any connection fee and if they are in the discounted club (still not clear), instead of 36p per kWh, you will be paying 30.6p per kWh. But because you have a £3 monthly fee, you will need to be charging more than £20 in a month, from Osprey to get back the fee. So, if my math is correct, that is just over 66kWh or ~240mile per month.

Until I see the full details, not much else can be said.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
90 Posts
kiacharge.com front screen hasn't been updated but Homepage - Kia GB - DCS is live and lets you order rfid etc.
- It's not clear if 'easy' covers the 'minimum tariff/connection charge' - so worst case is you're paying 49p a session for having a single app and not having to lodge sums with multiple individual apps. When you click through to charge details it goes to the various network sites but those don't show a minimum - at least for the sites I know that have one.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The map with this "clustering" of the charge points is useless. Maybe it works better in the app, but in the browser I could not get the system to separate 19 chargers...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
398 Posts
I have had a quick look at the map, it seems to work reasonably well with Firefox on Win 10.
The problem is that it is telling me the local Sainsbury has 4 Pod Point chargers that charge at 22kW and 11kW. The Pod Point app states that they charge at 3kW and 7kW . Where are Kia getting the data from?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll get it as it is cheap, but what's the benefit vs just using contactless? Is it just that many charge points still don't support it?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This kind of thing shouldn't be encouraged. Subscriptions, RFID, Connection Fees, Apps. Our EV infrastructure will never be properly functional until all of this is ditched.
Good sentiment, but not practical. I agree with you but I'm realistic that there is not a lot of other options... Look at Instavolt, even they now have an app and possibly working towards subscription or payment tier structure... I'm worried that they will actually make it go through those as well. And all they have to do is make the contactless more expensive, e.g. payment tiers, as other providers.

As I said, what can a company do to make money in the current situation: subscription is the only stable income and will always be their preferred choice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anyone got visibility of the per kWh costs on the monthly plan?

Are you getting 15% discount in reality?

For BP Pulse does it do away with preloading money on PAYG?

Actually does it get rid of preloading on PAYG for other networks too?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
90 Posts
It gets rid of pre-load - it stores your cc and invoices on charge

There is a 7kW pulse/polar I occasionally use that has 1.20/1.50 connection fee and is then free, this is shown on the kia app as18p/kWH - so for a shopping trip around an hour they are equivalent - I suspect the kia app doesn't handle connection fees hence the kWH charge.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Couldn’t sign in with any existing Kia account. Couldn’t find any evidence that having a Kia is a requirement?

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
97 Posts
I must be missing something here.... On easy, you pay a 49p "session fee" every time and then the per kwh is the same! No discount?

What am I getting for my 49p?

I don't say this very often but I'm glad I live in Scotland! Charge place Scotland chargers are bloody brilliant. £20 a year and many are free. Even the pay one near my house is only £3.80 a charge. That's under 6p per kwh if you take nearly a full charge. Not had the car long but I've done 2000 miles for less than £10 - haven't bothered getting a home charger!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,558 Posts
Couldn’t sign in with any existing Kia account. Couldn’t find any evidence that having a Kia is a requirement?
In order to select either of the subscription options you need to input the VIN.

The £3pm subscription option suggests a 15% discount on some networks. In order to see the fees for a charger you need to be registered and have selected the subscription option.

As for what this gets you for 49p a go - simplicity... that's got to be the aim. Something that new users can be signed up to automatically when they buy their car - chances are we'll see one year memberships bundled in the future.

For anyone who cares and is savvy you'll probably find there's a cheaper option for many given chargers, such as the app is for Osprey, but simplicity is really the key.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
Hyundai have launched a very similar (possibly identical) offering today.

They mention that "High quality live data integration of Charge myHyundai will be available on Hyundai’s next generation battery electric cars, starting with IONIQ 5"..... so it sounds like that’s partly what the 49p session fee is intended to pay for....not much use if you have a current generation car though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts