Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
With my current car I use a mobile phone running a speed camera application that warns me of any upcoming speed cameras
Looking at the Kia stuff there seems to a a link to (I think) Tom Tom that at first glance seems to warn about speed cameras and MAY enable me to ditch the speed camera phone app and associated subscription.

So - this results in a couple of questions?
1. Am I correct?
2. Does it only work when in navigation, or does it work all the time?
3. Is it any good? Does it do fixed and mobile cameras? Is it updated OTA?

If this works I can ditch the mobile phone holder and associated electrical gubbins as I won't need them anymore and can hide the phone away in the charging pocket/shelf

Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,822 Posts
Why didn't you just post in your previous thread on a similar topic?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes you're correct. Yes it works regardless of whether you use sat Nav. No idea if it gets regular updates but it's pretty good. For me I had to change the advance warning range to be quite short (.2.miles) otherwise on a stretch of road with many cameras you can't reconcile your current beep to the rapidly approaching speed camera ahead.

·
Registered
262 Posts
or just use Waze with Android Auto or Carplay, has live cameras, everything, and is what I use for regular London M25 routings.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
38 Posts
It gives you the option to log a speed camera that wasn't 'seen' so I might guess if they get more than one or two notifications they'd add it to the service, meaning mobile cameras would be caught?

·
Registered
262 Posts
@charleschas yes, thats why Waze beats most others, as it picks up police parked in laybys typically as well as speed vans. Literally relies you you doing the 2 click report police/camera thing. But's also useful for potholes and people blocking lanes as both also flagged in Waze. Made a huge difference to safely driving on M25 for me, as I can see a standstill traffic ahead automatically too.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
275 Posts
Waze is very good for stuff like that I agree, but you do get a lot of false reports because so many people report stuff on there - I suppose that's better than not getting a report of a van in the bushes though. The most common example of false reports is the warning of stationary vehicle ahead on hard shoulder.

I find the Kia one pretty good so far, but not sure how much I trust it to stay bang up to date. Its database of charging stations is clearly not up to date because I have been using a new Engie post for several weeks now that is not in the database.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You could just stick to the speed limit as best as you can and accept the consequences if you don't. This is from someone who had a 6 month ban for getting to 12 points over a 6 year period.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
also useful for potholes
It’s more than useless for potholes in my opinion, Every two yards it was reporting a pothole and I turned it off eventually. It seems one person’s view of what constitutes a pothole is not the same as another. Given that there is little granularity to filter out warnings, I gave up using Waze.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The thing about these "disruptive" apps is that on the surface they appear to fill a gap but when you use them you find it's not the case at all. Seriously you need an app to tell you where a pothole is? Ever thought of using your god given senses?. I see a pothole and I either swerve to avoid it or slow down to minimise its impact. Surely that's better than having your eyes glued to Waze or Google or whatever, hoping they may inform you of a newly created pothole which itself assumes some chump could be bothered to report it in the first place. Utter rubbish. You're in charge of a potential lethal machine. Take some bloody responsibility.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
That came across as aggressive. It was meant to be :)
To be fair, I liked the concept of having an early warning of something that I couldn’t yet see but it depends entirely on 1) the chump, as you put it, only marking things that are really necessary and 2) some other chump marking it as gone. I found there were so many false positives that it rendered the functionality useless. The more automated aspects like reporting slow moving traffic ahead from other users speed could be beneficial.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The thing about these "disruptive" apps is that on the surface they appear to fill a gap but when you use them you find it's not the case at all. Seriously you need an app to tell you where a pothole is? Ever thought of using your god given senses?. I see a pothole and I either swerve to avoid it or slow down to minimise its impact. Surely that's better than having your eyes glued to Waze or Google or whatever, hoping they may inform you of a newly created pothole which itself assumes some chump could be bothered to report it in the first place. Utter rubbish. You're in charge of a potential lethal machine. Take some bloody responsibility.
You can't always see them on a motorway behind other vehicles..until it's too late.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could just stick to the speed limit as best as you can and accept the consequences if you don't. This is from someone who had a 6 month ban for getting to 12 points over a 6 year period.
You need to get 12 points in 3 years to be banned.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
299 Posts
Now we have “smart” motorways with no hard shoulder, having Waze provide warning of a stopped vehicles is my favourite function.
The Kia live is interesting, charge point near me keeps appearing and then disappearing again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You need to get 12 points in 3 years to be banned.
Correct. I went thru a 6 year period where I never had a clean licence then got hit by 3 speed camera tickets within a single year all either 35 or so in a 30 limit or 45 ish in a 40. Learnt to keep my speed down as a result. Relying on artificial methods to beat the system because at the end of the day that's what you're trying to do is a fools errand

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can't always see them on a motorway behind other vehicles..until it's too late.
Really how often have you hit a pothole on a motorway? Or are you talking about cameras in which case stick to the speed limit as much as you can. Most people know the hotspots. If you get caught speeding then take it like a man.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Really how often have you hit a pothole on a motorway? Or are you talking about cameras in which case stick to the speed limit as much as you can. Most people know the hotspots. If you get caught speeding then take it like a man.
If you drive the M4 around me, it’s like a potato field (n)

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you've been on M11 near stansted, and on sections of A14, literal gaps in carriageway at times every winter. Knowing the sections where it is to allow me to move lane is invaluable, and likely has saved on tyre costs, given I've had work colleagues lose tyres to those sections in past.

Thinking about it I'm surprised more bikers havn't had accidents due to it on the M11 in paricular, as thats the worst road I've seen them on in UK. The issue is remembering the exact location is annoying, and Waze isn't every 5 mins warning about it to me, more like every 15 mins of driving, so when you know it's bad you thank the person, if its not actually there you report it as that. It seems to work well enough that false alerts are few for me. I'm not relying on it as my only means of navigation, but I can genuinely say it's likely saved me > 1 visit for replacement tyres over the years, and that is reason enough to reccomend it. Bear in mind it's not only on motorways, it also helped us avoid a massive hole on just after a blind corner in Northumberland when there a month ago.

I mean if you guys don't like it you can turn it off as well... Personally I find it useful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts