Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have test drives booked this Saturday for the above models.

Currently have a Jaguar XE (company car) with the lease finishing later this year.

My daily work commute is Milton Keynes to Gaydon (A421 and M40) so cira ~100 mile round trip
With annual mileage around 25,000

I do have a fuel card which includes private use.

Obviously main attraction being the BiK tax savings..
But would either of these be suitable for the next 3 yrs of my travels?
What's the fuel tank range like? Will I be filling up every 3 days or so .. lol

Any thoughts / considerations appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Can you plug-in at work? If so the Optima would likely manage a large proportion of the trip as an EV.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I picked up my Niro PHEV it said the range was 560 miles with a full tank of petrol and fully charged battery. However as a PHEV a lot will depend on the journeys you do and the ability to plug in regularly. If you have a home charger I would think you will only have to fill up once a week..and at the weekend for local trips you will be using just EV (I always get a true 35 miles range in mine). It is also a brilliant car for longer journeys using hybrid mode as the car decides when best to use which proposulion method. At the moment my car says that after around 850 miles I have averaged about 90mpg.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
850 miles I have averaged about 90mpg.
And to think I was disappointed last week when after almost 30K miles, my Ampera dipped just below 220 MPG. Hopefully get it back to 225 MPG soon :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess for those who do not understand what a PHEV can do we should make it clear that doing longer journeys, which I have over the last 5 weeks, you end up travelling a lot in hybrid mode. If you stick with mainly EV and travel within the battery range you can see silly MPG in your display. My highest so far is 358!

Still 225mpg is impressive..

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
I guess for those who do not understand what a PHEV can do we should make it clear that doing longer journeys, which I have over the last 5 weeks, you end up travelling a lot in hybrid mode. If you stick with mainly EV and travel within the battery range you can see silly MPG in your display. My highest so far is 358!

Still 225mpg is impressive..
I agree that people need to be careful a PHEV fits their use case. I tend to work within range or just outside, so it works well for me. On long journeys I sometimes try and stay with family on friends on way to get a charge, or plan a leisurely lunch in a town with charging. I accept I have become OCD about my lifetime MPG and the "cure" is for me to mainly drive our forthcoming Zoe from this summer!

Related to topic, back in 2012 the BIK on PHEVs was super low so I purchased through my own company. I did the same with my second late 2014, but it has risen to the point where I am about to buy it from my company and claim 45p mile. The BIK for the full 18/19 tax year was going to push me into 40% tax, so accountant agreed probably best to own - let's hope used EV values stay strong.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Despite my reservations about all things #Rapidgate, it sounds like a Leaf40 (or Ioniq if you can get one) on lease would be absolutely ideal. No need for any rapid charging and only your off-peak electricity bill as a cost. It would give you a huge saving on fuel and tax. If you had a workplace charger, I would probably go for a Leaf30.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Jag XE to a leaf30. Blow your workmates minds.

Then buy them lunch on the savings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha

Looking at the Optima PHEV or Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as all the big manufacturers VW, BMW, Mercedes aren't taking anymore orders now for their models Passate GTE, 330e, C350e

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Just shows they are all paying lip service to the drive to electrification. All those who say Tesla's days are numbered because of the march of the mainstream manufacturers need to look at the reality on the ground.

The only BEVs you can get in decent numbers are as ever Zoe, Leaf and Tesla. PHEVs more available but only Outlander sells in numbers and most others with significantly compromised electric range. Prius still king of the hybrids. So nothing much has changed in the last few years really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts