Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Atilla
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Announced at last. On sale this year and it could be a winner!
Kia Media Site
  • Niro Plug-in Hybrid model on sale across Europe during Q3 2017
  • 8.9 kWh High-capacity lithium-polymer battery pack and 1.6-litre GDI engine
  • Development engineers target pure-electric range over 55 kilometres
  • CO2 emissions targeted to fall below 30 g/km
  • Plug-in Hybrid crossover offers 324-litre cargo space and spacious cabin
  • Advanced energy-saving measures and unique styling features
  • Optional Towing Pack with 1,300 kg capacity

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Mitsubishi... Meet competition.

And if it comes in under 26k it will be will priced. Under 25k and that's cheaper than ANY new outlander.
At best this miiiiiiiight be affordable for me at worst it will put pressure on the outlander second hand market.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's refreshing to see a reasonably sized battery for a new plug in hybrid, and I believe the crossover body style will be popular. My disappointment though is with the 44kW motor, which will give disappointing performance when in EV only mode compared to hybrid mode. Still, I would rate this one of the better PHEV's available to buy new, but still falls short of the Ampera / Volt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I love how they spin the fact that unlike the Outlander which has 2 direct drive electric motors (one for each axle) and the ability for the ICE to both act as generator or direct drive the front wheels using a single ratio from about 45mph (Serial or Parallel) - meaning there is no need for a multi-ratio gearbox between the electric motors and the wheels just like a BEV, this setup is an ICE with an electric motor through a 6 speed gearbox like all the other half-arsed hybrids.

So apparently you still have the "fun" of an "immediate, more entertaining drive."

I found the Outlander drivetrain quite immediate and entertaining due to the complete lack of gearbox or gearchanges!

The Outlander is a BEV with an ICE added to it (and does not have an "e-CVT"), whereas this Niro is a conventional hybrid with a bigger battery and a slightly bigger electric motor.

Kia Website said:
"Power is applied to the road through the Niro’s six-speed double-clutch transmission (6DCT), allowing drivers to shift gear for themselves for a more immediate, more entertaining drive than other hybrid models equipped with a traditional electronic continuously-variable transmission (e-CVT)."

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My missus wont give a hoot if it's a 44kw or 400kw, if she can chuck two kids a double buggy and enough paraphernalia for the monsters all while not spitting out any fumes she'll be happy.

·
Atilla
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's refreshing to see a reasonably sized battery for a new plug in hybrid, and I believe the crossover body style will be popular. My disappointment though is with the 44kW motor, which will give disappointing performance when in EV only mode compared to hybrid mode. Still, I would rate this one of the better PHEV's available to buy new, but still falls short of the Ampera / Volt.
The motor's max torque is170 Nm (125.4lb ft), which I hope is sufficient. With electric motors, the importance of torque over power is greater than ever. The Optima is much heavier/bigger but it can do 75mph on EV with the 50kW motor (205Nm of torque). Also, the motor drives through the gearbox, which acts as a force multiplier, so comparing the output against "direct drive" cars is misleading. I await a test drive - that will reveal all!

·
Registered
599 Posts
@PHunter With figures of 105ps from the 1.6 GDI engine, and 141ps from the combined motor and engine, I would still expect poor performance when in battery only mode. I do agree though, that a test drive will be the only way to find out how well it performs on battery only.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Anyone guesstimating prices?
The woman at the Geneva motorshow said "in Switzerland - the base Plug-in was the price of a fully loaded Hybrid" I'm not sure if that helps but the inference was it wasn't a massive uplift.

I really liked how the batteries were integrated - the boot floor is completely level with the boot lip - not the 2inch lift as per Plug-in Prius. It really looked like the car was designed for the batteries from day one.
I'm sure if you didn't know it was a plug-in, you wouldn't guess it was.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If that's not including the subsidy that's £200 cheaper than the cheapest outlander.

Now we're talking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts