Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of folks are unhappy with the performance of the standard headlamps on the eNiro, and I know that LED conversions are not road legal in the UK, but has anyone converted from standard to Xenon HID using a kit like the ones on ledperf.com?

I can't decide if it's worth the cash/risk to buy one of these: Kia Niro Xenon HID conversion Kit - LIFETIME WARRANTY !

Thoughts/feedback?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would recommend that you first check with your insurance company before purchase as they might void your policy if you do it without their approval as they will see it as a customisation.

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
259 Posts
Certainly from past experience, I believe that Xenon HID's are required to have headlight washers, so I believe that this would therefore rule that out as an option.

What is it about LEDs that make them illegal ? I know that LEDs appear to come in various shapes and I saw a post from a guy in the States where he had a particular model where there was a flat round surface facing the front and the LEDs were only therefore able to project left and right inside the light unit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's not so much that they're illegal, its more that it's impossible to even make LED replacement bulbs that are legal,i.e. have the appropriate EU approval, as there's nothing in the current legislation that allows for this, and no sign that anybody is working on it either.

So currently the only way is to replace the whole light unit with one that, as a whole, is approved, for which there is legislation.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That is not correct.
There are LED lights fitted in many cars nowadays.
Illegal ones are those that do not comply with BS/EN requirements.
Those that will comply are legal to use.
What you maybe mean is that isn't easy to differentiate between the good and the bad
Note that most Chinese manufacturers mark their items as CE but that means Chinese Export and not European standard compliance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are complete light units that are legal, but there are no replacement bulbs for conventional halogen bulbs in reflector or projector housings that are legal because there's nothing in the approval procedure to allow for them to be approved.

See here Aftermarket LED Bulbs: MOT Rules And Legalities for a complete explanation.

For BEV''s the problem is potentially even worse than with many ICE cars; i.e. some pedestrians don't always hear EV's coming. As such they may not correctly identify the position of an EV having the most feeble type of Halogen beams and remain in or rush out into the road.

That says nothing of a weak Halogen equipped EV driver experiencing substantialy reduced visibilty of said folk. So, if the vehicle's lighting is very poor and as currently this can't easily ne legally remedied. If there remains a need to persist with such

Then, in the dark, the only sensible course of action is wherever needed to drive quite slowly and ultra cautiously. Perhaps, frequently well below the speed limit and simply to suffer those increased levels of stress from the necessary extra diligence and vigilance .

Leaving aside the many and various highly fraught ethical/legal conundrums. The solution, for some, may well be the following plain conclusion:

In the dark, only ever drive a car with truly excellent headlights. If current vehicle dosen't have them then get rid for one that does. Perhaps consider the upgrade expense, at least in part, as an addtional amortised insurance policy protection premium?

In the very worst of all possible eventualities this cost would be, massively much lower than otherwise and, almost laughably negligible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just replaced the standard halogen bulbs in my Niro PHEV with Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs and have noticed quite a difference.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just replaced the standard halogen bulbs in my Niro PHEV with Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs and have noticed quite a difference.
What size bulbs are these replacements? I guess they are the same as the e-Niro.

·
Registered
56 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts