Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia Soul EV 2017 - US - Charging Equipment

The spec’s on the 2017 EV clearly say that this 2017 Soul EV as ships already includes a DC fast charge port, AND “6.6-killowatt onboard charger”

Since it already has the 6.6-killowatt onboard charger onboard – what then do I have to buy to be able to make use of that at home – if I already have a 240 V 40 amp circuit ?

I’m told that the card only comes equipped with a cord for 110 Level 1 (so called trickle charging.)

So if I have a wall plug for 240 V 40 Amp service – with whatever receptacle type needed– do I need to buy or install anything other than getting a cord for Level 2 6.6 KW charging to plug into the 240 receptacle ? Specifically am I going to have to buy a cord and adapter thing for hundred or 2 or so; or is a full 500 to 800 wall mounted charging system ?

My local (and only) dealer admits to not know much of anything about the car (not a good sign..I know) - so asking the rep is not an option - can anyone help ?

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Welcome. Bear in mind most members (like me) are in the UK. There are a few from USA and I spend a lot of the winter in Florida where we have a Tesla Model S :)

The Level 1 (110V) trickle charger is often called a "granny" chargers because you might use it overnight when visiting her!

You do need Level 2 (240V) charging at home and you have a lot of choice in USA on what you buy. The first decision is on power - 16A charger will be the cheapest and would fully charge your car overnight. Do you need to charge more quickly during the day?

This is an affordable example (not a recommendation) of a 16A charger that plugs into a standard dryer socket (NEMA 10-30). There are others on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Maxx-16 ( Dryer plug ) 28 ft long Portable Electric Vehicle Charger with nema 10-30 plug ( includes wall mounting clip) - J1772 - EVSE (220V-240V) - Level 2 - 16 amp Electric Car Charger - Dark Gray: Automotive

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
I didn't get the impression that the OP was an "EV Geek" for whom the OpenEVSE devices are mainly aimed at. It is an option, but I assumed they would want a more commercial offering. If their budget is higher than my example above, there are many options of fixed chargers - including the best selling ClipperCreek: America's Most Popular EV Charging Station

1 - 4 of 4 Posts