Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Kia Soul EV with front parking sensors. An elderly friend of mine has recently bought a 2020 Kia Soul EV, which he found does not have front parking sensors after a prang with the towbar on another car.
He would really like front parking sensors. Kia say they won't fit them, and strongly recommend that he doesn't have them fitted by a third party in case it causes other problems.
I'd love other people's thoughts and suggestions.
Many thanks,
Pete Cousins.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,650 Posts
If he really wants them you can get a front licenceplate surround with sensors built into them.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,120 Posts
It's another strange spec decision like leaving blind spot monitoring off some of the Niro EVs. Front parking sensors are useful and often pick up cross traffic in car parks too.

No idea kia are being so stupid about fitting after market ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most dealers have little electronic expertise - they are mainly fitters of spare parts. They tend to minimise risk by advising against any mods. The company don't see mods as a source of revenue, and discourage it.

If you must modify the vehicle, be prepared to remove the mod if a problem appears - you will be on your own.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
236 Posts
I don't mean to be too disparaging but I do worry about someone's capacity to drive safely if they can't see they are getting close enough to a car in front of them to prang the towbar without the use of front parking sensors. I appreciate that he/she may have been under the misunderstanding that the car had sensors and they were waiting for them to chirrup to indicate they are close enough. Easy enough to get confused about specs given how many differences there are between different markets. But I would have thought you could make that judgement with your eyes that there is a car in front and it looks too close for comfort. It this is an elderly driver, surely they must have driven for years and years without these aids. How did we ever manage without them?

It does irritate me a lot though how many discrepancies there are between specs in different countries though. Kia must have a hell of a job keeping up with them all. Surely it must be more efficient to build cars to the same spec en masse, rather than every market having differences.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
236 Posts
Not sure why my post above is in bold text. Sorry if your eyes are bleeding.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,120 Posts
One of the main reasons to have front parking sensors is in busy car parks. They notice approaching side traffic before you can.

Kia drive me potty with their inconsistencies on models. They drop important features on one model and have them on another but leave something else off instead. It's why I ended up with Eeyore the Leaf as the tekna leafs just have everything on and always do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
...Kia drive me potty with their inconsistencies on models. They drop important features on one model and have them on another but leave something else off instead....
I was told that one Japanese company does it this way:

The local subsidiary is presented with a costed "shopping list" of features by the parent company, from which they can choose how to configure the models for the local market, using their supposed "local expertise". The marketing "experts" haggle it out between themselves. Like all designs by committee, there will be shortfalls, ugly compromises and sheer idiocy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mean to be too disparaging but I do worry about someone's capacity to drive safely if they can't see they are getting close enough to a car in front of them to prang the towbar without the use of front parking sensors. I appreciate that he/she may have been under the misunderstanding that the car had sensors and they were waiting for them to chirrup to indicate they are close enough. Easy enough to get confused about specs given how many differences there are between different markets. But I would have thought you could make that judgement with your eyes that there is a car in front and it looks too close for comfort. It this is an elderly driver, surely they must have driven for years and years without these aids. How did we ever manage without them?

It does irritate me a lot though how many discrepancies there are between specs in different countries though. Kia must have a hell of a job keeping up with them all. Surely it must be more efficient to build cars to the same spec en masse, rather than every market having differences.
He is rather elderly, but previously had a BMW i3 and has come to rely on front sensors. The local Kia garage knew nothing about the car, and didn't give him a walk through of any of the features. They didn't even know how to open the charging flap.
He's also found that the ICE version of the car does have parking sensors. Very infuriating - he's now talking about legal action. Not sure if that will get him anywhere, but the dealer has definitely not helped. I didn't know that the i3 had sensors, so didn't mention the lack of them to him - after all we've never had front sensors until our 2017 Soul.
They are definitely invaluable. Thinking about the 4-5 bumps I've had - 2 would have been prevented with front or rear sensors in the past.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
31 Posts
He's also found that the ICE version of the car does have parking sensors. Very infuriating - he's now talking about legal action.
There isn't an ICE version of the 2020 Soul in the UK, it's EV-only. If your friend's found an ICE spec then it's probably from a different market, which may well have the sensors on the EV model too.

For me, it's a bizarre omission from the car - that and them deleting the 12V outlet in the boot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There isn't an ICE version of the 2020 Soul in the UK, it's EV-only. If your friend's found an ICE spec then it's probably from a different market, which may well have the sensors on the EV model too.

For me, it's a bizarre omission from the car - that and them deleting the 12V outlet in the boot.
Yes - I think it was US market. My point was that they do fit them to some models, so why not the UK EV? Or at least offer it as an option. It's annoying as it means all the parts required are sitting somewhere in a factory, but he can't get them shipped over here and installed.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
181 Posts
One option would be to fit a reversing camera to the front of the car.
This BOSCAM K3 Reversing Camera Kit looks good as both camera & monitor are powered from a single 12VDC feed. So no need for cigar lighter plug adapter!
These kits are available from the usual online bazaars...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts