Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the quirky look of thew car but it looks like its got wheels from a smaller car... im looking into changing them to 18 inch wheels... has anyone already done this ?

Also does anyone know if the "plastic sails" on the wheels can be taken off, might reduce MPG slightly but the wheels might look better ? ... has anyone done this ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd be worried that increasing the wheel size would worsen the Soul's worst feature, it's ride quality.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
375 Posts
I am curious what the wheels look like without the 'sails'
They are held on with 3 screws on each 'sail', but the brake disk gets in the way of removing some screws.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Soul
3 Posts
I love the quirky look of thew car but it looks like its got wheels from a smaller car... im looking into changing them to 18 inch wheels... has anyone already done this ?

Also does anyone know if the "plastic sails" on the wheels can be taken off, might reduce MPG slightly but the wheels might look better ? ... has anyone done this ?
I did it.
The tire size is 235/45-R18 but I cannot compare them yet to the stock 17 inch wheels as I wil use the 17 inch wheels with winter tires.

IMG_20200721_164432~2.jpg
IMG_20200721_164432~2.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks great !!! ... what make of wheels and tyres are they ?
Have you lost much range ?
How many Miles gave you covered on them ?

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Soul
3 Posts
That looks great !!! ... what make of wheels and tyres are they ?
Have you lost much range ?
How many Miles gave you covered on them ?
The rims are Kia Deajeon 18" bi-colour (that's what it says on the invoice). Tyres are Hankook Ventus Prime 3 in 235/45-R18. I didn't specify the tyre brand and this is what the dealer put on when the eSoul was delivered new. I'm happy with them as the car is very quiet and they seem to do a decent job. I have to be honest though, I am not able to do a direct comparison so they could be rubbish compared to other tires or 17" combos.
I've had these on the car since new so I have no idea how much range I've lost. We've driven a bit over 8.000 kms with the car now including a holiday to France this summer (with roof box) and so far we're averaging around 16.5 kWh / 100 km over the full distance. Currently the average is dropping again towards 15.5 kWh / 100 km as we don't drive with the roof box any more. I'm happy with that as we do quite a bit of highway driving.

Here are a few more pictures of the car with 18"wheels. The picture of the rim with winter tire was taken in the showroom at the dealer. I have summer tires on these rims.

IMG_20200115_173752.jpg InkedIMG_20200306_094107_LI.jpg IMG_20200306_154538.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Kia Uk do not offer these wheels and were saying the warranty might be invalidated, yours look really good !
thankyou for posting the pics etc 👍🏼

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd be worried that increasing the wheel size would worsen the Soul's worst feature, it's ride quality.
And also impact the efficiency. Basically losing range.

Tyres also more expensive.

I don't understand the big wheel thing.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
375 Posts
Kia Uk do not offer these wheels and were saying the warranty might be invalidated, we’re yours fitted by the dealer? They look really good !
'The warranty might be invalidated' seems to be a common statement from Kia about any mod. Surely they could only say this if the modification was directly responsible for causing the fault that the warranty is covering, and fitting Kia wheels designed for the Soul would be a difficult thing to argue.

And also impact the efficiency. Basically losing range.
Tyres also more expensive.
I don't understand the big wheel thing.
It improves the look and the stance of the car.
As for efficiency, 280 miles is much further than most of us need. So why not knock off a few miles to make it look good :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Meh

If it was a Ferrari or Porsche, that's fair. But a Korean hatchback...? Not worth the expense and the trade offs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meh

If it was a Ferrari or Porsche, that's fair. But a Korean hatchback...? Not worth the expense and the trade offs.
If you don’t think wheels matter then there’s nothing to see here... I think wheels transform the look and handling of any car, however because it’s an EV other factors maybe at play hence my question.
the photographs posted earlier look fantastic and were extremely helpful

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Soul
3 Posts
Kia Uk do not offer these wheels and were saying the warranty might be invalidated, yours look really good !
thankyou for posting the pics etc 👍🏼
Thanks! Too bad that Kia UK doesn't offer them and a pity they threw in the 'warranty might be invalidated'. That would take away a piece of mind in case you could source them from somewhere else.
Warranty isn't an issue here in NL. Various 18"wheels are offered as accessories on the Dutch Kia website for the e-Soul and the wheels I have were offered as a winter tyre deal by the Kia Dealer.
These wheels are also standard on some trim levels on the XCeed here in NL.
BTW, I've looked on the Kia UK website for offers on 18"wheels for the e-Soul but I couldn't find them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts