Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really impressed by just how efficient the regeneration is on the Kia Soul EV 2020. I get just over 68% on a steep hill with an unheated battery as well.
Took advantage of a trip to buy petrol for the mower and rotovator. I really must get those replaced by electric as well.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you calculate the efficiency?

Instantaneous or an integration over time?
Driving at a constant speed down a hill with a uniform slope, then taking the instantaneous figure reported by the Kia Soul EV on its own screen. I am recording the screen so that I don't need to take my eyes off the road while I do it - just watch the speed in the head up display. Then driving back up exactly the same stretch of hill at exactly the same constant speed, and again taking the same instantaneous figure. Note that although it is the instantaneous figure, the value stays the same. It isn't fluctuating much as you can see in the video at high res.
The calculation is then energy regenerated going down / energy used going up * 100

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Very good figures, thanks(y)(y)(y)(y)

Presumably the Kia BMS is measuring columb counting in and out plus volts to get the energy in and back. It might be making some assumptions on internal battery losses?

Small rolling losses at your speeds, no braking.Anyway, good method.😁

1 - 4 of 4 Posts