Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Soul 27kWh is currently getting around 55-60 miles of range at an efficiency of 4.1 Mi/kW.

It's been at a KIA dealership twice over the last 3 weeks for diagnostic tests to determine if the battery needs to be replaced under warranty.
KIA head office [not the Dealership] have pronounced the car is fine for its age and mileage.

It's done 67k miles or thereabout.
SoulSpy is showing 76.1% SOH.
Battery cell #2 turns red under load at any SOC.

KIA will supply a new battery [fitted] for £12400.00 inc VAT.

I'm going to use this thread to record the data from the car over the next few months to support a battery replacement claim under warranty as it still has 24 months left to run. Anyone who can chip in with tips/figures etc please do.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
224 Posts
If you still have no satisfactory outcome by the end of the warranty, I wonder if the particular cell which appears to be at fault could be replaced at much lower cost?

·
Registered
VW eGolf
307 Posts
There's a Kia Soul on autotrader (Glasgow - £8990) which claims to have had a new traction battery. It's a private sale - may be worth a call to see if it was a warranty job and what their experience was?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What SOH limits does the Kia warranty specify?

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you still have no satisfactory outcome by the end of the warranty, I wonder if the particular cell which appears to be at fault could be replaced at much lower cost?
I've put the feelers out for that job, namely CleevelyEV. Hopefully the raw data from the next few weeks should prove the SOH is closer to 60%

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a 340 mile round trip yesterday the SOH is now showing as 73.3% on SoulSpy. Effective range on the motorway at 63 MPH indicated [60 MPH GPS} is 45 miles.

I'd be interested to know what other 27kWh Soul owners are getting at similar speeds..?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FINALLY !!.....The State of Health is now 66.2%..... It dropped from 72.3% over the course of my usual 340 mile weekly trip. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
224 Posts
Charge from less than 20% to 100%. Go to the dealer and ask them to read the SOH with the KIA test equipment. Remind them that KIA require that the reading be taken before any update is applied to the BMS.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charge from less than 20% to 100%. Go to the dealer and ask them to read the SOH with the KIA test equipment. Remind them that KIA require that the reading be taken before any update is applied to the BMS.
That happened last time so there is no BMS update required this time [..I hope..) Good advice Ian, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,881 Posts
340 mile weekly round trip? Cripes. You must have the patience of a saint :)

Hope Kia do the sensible thing and replace enough of the battery so that it's not just sitting at 71% SOH afterwards :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hope Kia do the sensible thing and replace enough of the battery so that it's not just sitting at 71% SOH afterwards :rolleyes:
...I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks for ruining my day..:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

340 miles:.....2 legs of 155miles and some tootling around in between. Start with 100%, 2 rapid charges and plug in at the other end. Then repeat on the way back. It is slow but at 01:00 in the morning and decent music it's a nice drive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...Battery is dying slowly.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...and again after a 25 mile trip yesterday....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The battery is now at 61.4% SOH:sneaky: Does anyone have an opinion as to whether KIA will honour the warranty with 2 years remaining on the warranty...or not?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes. You will get a new battery.
It will probably get 96 brand new cells.
Better chemistry than the original. Better range and longevity than when the car was first bought.
A re-manafactured pack using old cells is possible, but this has only happened so far in North America.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,835 Posts
It sounds like your instincts were ahead of the BMS. What you're seeing is the BMS finally catching up with reality.

These things are imperfect, there is no 'digital' way to measure the SOH/SOC of a battery. Batteries are cooking recipes, not precision engineering.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's dropped to 60.4% this evening...just sitting there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts