Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The soul EV has only been here since 2014.
Which is 2 years.

The Leaf in 2 years had sold 1,300 cars in the UK. The Soul EV only 150 in it's first 2 years.

I had a look again on the ol' Autotrader and they're still asking £17,000 for the oldest. They've dropped the ball I'm afraid.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Where is this discussion going I wonder.. We have established its a great car and deal is nearly as good as leaf- or isn't...what Kia's strategy is cannot be influenced by Jamie.. Or does it??

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
The Soul deals have been terrible in the UK until now.

Soul seems to have a 30.5 kw/h battery with 27 kw/h usable. I can't find out what the 30 kw leaf actually has in it. I'm assuming it is bigger than 30 kw/h isn't it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi folks, this is my first post here. I'm very pleased to have found this forum and this topic in particular.

I had a test drive just over a week ago and was very impressed by the Soul EV. However, I've been thinking that getting one would be too expensive. Thanks to Jamie's efforts and the quotes he's provided, I'm now very excited about the prospect!

I took an extended test drive of the new leaf last weekend. One thing I'd like to share about that is the nature of motorway driving with an EV. No matter what the manufacturer claims, the real world range for the latest Leaf is 60 miles between service stations. You may get 80 miles on the first leg from a full charge, but from there on you're only going to be charging to 80% or so to keep your charging time to a minimum. It's the equivalent of a splash and dash, only that the splash takes about half an hour. Driving at 80mph really chews through the juice and despite setting off with around 85% and an estimated 90 miles, I drove 60 miles and arrived at the next service station with only about 10 miles of range remaining.

These EV's are not ready for regular long motorway trips yet. It has to be a rare occurrence when you are more likely to have the patience to stop regularly to get a fast charge. Also, the batteries overheat with this kind of use. I don't know how effective the Kia is at keeping its batteries cool, but the Leaf didn't cope well. The temperature gauge was well into the red when I finished.

That's the kind of stuff the salesmen don't tell you. The manufacturer fits cruise control and give prospective customers the impression that a Leaf will cope with motorway driving, but it's a lie.

That said, as long as you don't anticipate regular long trips at high speed, the Kia Soul and the Leaf do have plenty of range for most people's purposes. You might spend what you save on petrol on coffee waiting for a charge, that's all.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You also don't have to drive at 80mph on the motorway, most EV'ers probably stay around 60-65mph to maximise energy on a longer journey.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To be honest, I'm sold. I just need to convince my wife who is very reluctant to drive an EV. I'm hoping to convince her by telling her that I'll be driving slower on the motorways and that it is easy to drive. The parking camera is a big selling point for her too.

Also, despite my reservations about long distance driving, I've also worked out that I could drive 250 miles (our once a year long trip), with just three stops. We'd be stopping at least twice anyway because we've got a two year old.

I own an electric motorcycle that has a range of 65 miles of mixed riding. Less on the motorway, more in town. I never suffer range anxiety and that's despite less range and no fast charging.

I'll see if the dealership can do a decent offer on their demo and if not I'll be looking to lease from the nice chap who started this topic. I subscribe to Fully Charged on YouTube and bobbylew has good things to say about this company.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, we have 2 Soul EV's so can vouch for it being a great car, it is also in theory capable of 100kWh charging so when the rapid chargers are upgraded the motorway stops could be shorter still, hopefully more destination chargers will spring up to so that also will help 'maximise' the range.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you Brads. I didn't know about that capability. That is truly impressive and will make a big difference. 100kW charging is badly needed. More if possible, although that would only be suitable for larger battery packs with current cell limitations. Excuse the unintended pun...

I'm going home now to see if I can convince my wife. I take it you convinced your other half! :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Soul seems to have a 30.5 kw/h battery with 27 kw/h usable. I can't find out what the 30 kw leaf actually has in it. I'm assuming it is bigger than 30 kw/h isn't it?
No, the 30kWh Leaf has about 28.5kWh usable. Kia and Renault quote usable battery capacities, Nissan quote total.

·
Atilla
299 Posts
@MostlyBonkers , welcome. Range is usually the main concern for first time EV buyers. Like many people, we have a Diesel too and intended to use that for long trips but we prefer the EV. If they start charging daft money for Rapid charging then we would reluctantly revert to the Diesel, but for days up to about 250 miles we usually take the EV now. (We always spend more at the services than the electricity is worth!). Anyway, it comes down to how many days you will exceed the range. For us, about twice a month and we don't mind stopping.

·
Atilla
299 Posts
Mine's arrived. All arranged by fleetdrive. It's near fully charged and says 100+ odd miles on the range. I think it is says 110 or so when it's right to the top.

Not sure what it will be once it's got used to my driving however :)
We have two, one on 8000 miles and other c.2000. Both have settled to 98 @100% but actually doing 110ish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fleetdrive had the best deals when I was looking and you can tailor to suit your needs. Give them a call as I found Vicky and the others there really helpful. Mine should be arriving at the end of this week...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Vicky has been great. The whole experience has been very well managed, simple and as effortless as one could expect. Kia have been great too. The car is fantastic!

A big thank you from me to Robert Llewellyn for mentioning Drive Electric at the end of his show on the Model 3. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have been able to join this merry brigade.

·
Registered
886 Posts
from September 2016 there might be this available in the UK :cool:;

41 - 60 of 67 Posts