Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed various reports that the newly released Kia Soul Maxx is capable of 100kW charging in contrast to the First Editions 77kW maximum charging capacity.
If this is correct, I wonder of there has been any hardware upgrades or if this is just a coding update to the BMS; and if its the later, if the First Editions could be retrospectively updated?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think both First Edition and Maxx can both use 100kw, but I could be wrong.
There is no problem using a higher rated charger, I used 350kW Ionity chargers on a recent long distance trip, but the maximum charge rate the car can take is 77kW.
If the new Maxx version does charge at 100kW then it has the potential to charge 30% faster than the First Edition.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,178 Posts
They should say it will charge at 77kW max if using a faster 100+ kW rapid,

though if there was an update that would be nice! I thought the limit was something to do with max 200A current and around 385V pack voltage. It only complies with the original CCS spec. Part 1 or something I seem to remember.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
Although, it has been speculated that the Kia battery is capable of higher charging speed (due to battery size but limited by the charging standard used at the time in Korea), I don't believe that this will show up in the Soul.

According to the specifications on the KiaUK website on a 100kW charger it still takes 54min to get from 0 to 80%SOC. I don't think this time has changed since the First Edition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts