Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thoughts on what? Comparing both new ones: is the Kia worth over £10k more than the MG?
Or comparing a used MG EV for the same price as the outgoing Soul? They both have cheap and cheerful interiors. That would be a good debate. Even though the MG is more up to date and has a bigger battery, it's Chinese. Is Kia build quality better? If not, why blow £20K on the Soul instead of a used MG?
Anyone owned/rented/driven both?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve had exactly this debate on the used side of things. Outgoing Soul vs used MG. I’m getting rid of my 16 plated Zoe that’s coming out of warranty. With the incoming costs of extending the warranty, new tyres and servicing MOT, it made sense to have a look around. The 7 year warranties on the MG and Soul pulled me in their direction. Sadly, the Ioniq is a bit out of my price range. Warranty is very important to me, just had the front spring snap on my Zoe, which was covered, case in point!

In the end, I‘m going with a low mileage 18 plated used Soul (pending COVID) which can be had for sub £18,000 at the very top end of things.

Generally the range of the MG is always going to be better, plus it’s quite a bit faster on paper. However, the heat pump in the Soul will give more consistent range, particularly when the temperature is >5 C. The interior specs of the Soul are more to my taste too and a bit more generous (I’m a sucker for all things heated ...). At the end of the day, the £2-3k difference in price swung it for me as it kept me within my monthly budget (bank loan).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thoughts on what? Comparing both new ones:
Anyone owned/rented/driven both?
Yup.

I did precisely that. ZS to Soul i.e from pretender to contender. Albeit at some considerable expense.

Another way of putting it: built to a cost point vs built to a value point.

Almost everything about the MG was unsatisfactory. Not the least of which being MG themselves with all their errors and omissions.

Folly, I know now, but spent so much time and effort trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and almost succeeded.

But in the end. MG and their non responsiveness to user concerns, particularly on the software front, was the biggest disappointment of all. Maybe they will get there in the end but watch that price tick up and then the hardware will still remain sub par.

Essentially from an almost nothing as it ought to be thing to a largely all as it should be thing and hang the expense

Life's too short...

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
For me it was principally about range.
I wasn't interested in anything under 200 miles.
Much as i considered a few contenders (Zoe, Corsa, 208 and MG) it kept coming back to, never being in a position where I'd need to charge whilst travelling (overnight top ups mean starting each day with 250, say).
Id likely have gone for the Model 3 if it wasn't for the Soul (or possibly Kona, never been in one)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
Autoexpress is usually literally filled with adverts from firms like Audi, VW and Kia. So expect reviews to have a certain bias.

Yes the Kia goes further, is a tiny bit quicker to 60, screwed together a bit better, has more kit? But its also a lot more expensive, smaller inside everywhere especially the boot, doesn't have some kit the MG has but that doesn't mater because the Kia doesn't have it so it won't be reviewed on. And finally they both have a 7 year warranty.

I say pick what your budget can afford, if you can afford the Kia your unlikely to buy the MG, in fact your probably unlikely to buy the Kia as you'll probably aim for an M3.

These reviews are much like the Zoe vs Leaf reviews of a few years back. Not based on price point, space, or even in that case class of vehicle. MG in Excite trim is almost the cheapest EV you can buy, and when you compare it to its cheaper competition the e-Up! you think but I could have car twice the size for almost no extra cash!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me it was principally about range.
I wasn't interested in anything under 200 miles.
Much as i considered a few contenders (Zoe, Corsa, 208 and MG) it kept coming back to, never being in a position where I'd need to charge whilst travelling (overnight top ups mean starting each day with 250, say).
Id likely have gone for the Model 3 if it wasn't for the Soul (or possibly Kona, never been in one)
0.a) <This post reflects my own position in full> all accepted. Agree entirely with the above and invite readers to keep this in mind as the following individual points are addressed:-

Autoexpress...
1.a) Autoexpress is usually literally filled with adverts from firms like Audi, VW and Kia. So expect reviews to have a certain bias <sans all pedantry> that's probably more of a figurative perspective?

2.a) Yes the Kia goes further <possibly almost twice as far> Due to primitive; battery thermal management, basic electric cabin heating and on/off air conditioning. Winter range deficit on the MG can be quite substantial.

2.b) is a tiny bit quicker to 60 <comfort is one thing but confidence is entirely another. So, precisely how well it gets there may well be what really matters most> unless , of course, your chauffeur is doing the driving so you dont have to deal with the MG Suspension Gondolier's Boaty Mc Boat Face.

2.c) screwed together a bit better <it's perhaps more that what's screwed together better actually works properly>

2.d) has more kit? <but only where it avoids irrelevances and improves the driving and ownership experience in worthwhile ways>

2.e) But its also a lot more expensive <this number appears to be closing upwards over time, while the MG's value proposition does not substantively improve>

2.f) smaller inside everywhere <ever so slightly but so much better fitting and fittings>

2.g) especially the boot <the lowered floor helps and is amply sufficient for most purposes> If more space is needed drop the KIA rear seats and its close to parity again

2.h) doesn't have some kit the MG has but that doesn't mater because the Kia doesn't have it so it won't be reviewed on. <apart from the Exclusive's top heavy panoramic glass roof. what else?>

3.a) I say pick what your budget can afford <do your research fully and decide what works best for you. Buy cheap buy twice>

3.b) if you can afford the Kia your unlikely to buy the MG <possibly not always so, easy to get caught up in the latters hype and miss the actual real world limitations>

3.c) in fact your probably unlikely to buy the Kia as you'll probably aim for an M3 <or because of basic design preferences along with; manufacturer satisfaction ratings, warranty fulfillment prospects, parts availablilty, service, repair and insurance costs etc. etc. In reality. Probably not>

4.a) These reviews are much like the Zoe vs Leaf reviews of a few years back <uncertain that this actually applies here>

4.b) Not based on price point <MG cost keeps getting closer to KIA but value does not>

4.c) space or even in that case class of vehicle <these have almost identical wheel base, width, height etc.>

4.d) MG in Excite trim is almost the cheapest EV you can buy, and when you compare it to its cheaper competition the e-Up! you think but I could have car twice the size for almost no extra cash! <but perhaps only half the quality>

If in anyone's view there's been any major missrepresentation or over indulgence in humour above then please do feel free to indicate valid alternative perspectives.

For the time being, my assesment of the scope and scale of shortfalls in the MG are: A very low quality and annoying, appless, user interface. Its at best; indeterminate rear suspension, lack of regen on SCC and regardless of legal bulb choice, extremely poor headlighting. The more minor ones run to lack of lumbar support, non ventilated material in seat back and squab which is also non tilt adjustable. Along with a very oddball set of front cornering characteristics and a somewhat primitive HVAC, battery management set etc. etc.

By the time the MG has been remodeled and upgraded to match the KIA. One way or another likely any price differential will have almost dissapeared.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
0.a) <This post reflects my own position in full> all accepted. Agree entirely with the above and invite readers to keep this in mind as the following individual points are addressed:-

1.a) Autoexpress is usually literally filled with adverts from firms like Audi, VW and Kia. So expect reviews to have a certain bias <sans all pedantry> that's probably more of a figurative perspective?

2.a) Yes the Kia goes further <possibly almost twice as far> Due to primitive; battery thermal management, basic electric cabin heating and on/off air conditioning. Winter range deficit on the MG can be quite substantial.

2.b) is a tiny bit quicker to 60 <comfort is one thing but confidence is entirely another. So, precisely how well it gets there may well be what really matters most> unless , of course, your chauffeur is doing the driving so you dont have to deal with the MG Suspension Gondolier's Boaty Mc Boat Face.

2.c) screwed together a bit better <it's perhaps more that what's screwed together better actually works properly>

2.d) has more kit? <but only where it avoids irrelevances and improves the driving and ownership experience in worthwhile ways>

2.e) But its also a lot more expensive <this number appears to be closing upwards over time, while the MG's value proposition does not substantively improve>

2.f) smaller inside everywhere <ever so slightly but so much better fitting and fittings>

2.g) especially the boot <the lowered floor helps and is amply sufficient for most purposes> If more space is needed drop the KIA rear seats and its close to parity again

2.h) doesn't have some kit the MG has but that doesn't mater because the Kia doesn't have it so it won't be reviewed on. <apart from the Exclusive's top heavy panoramic glass roof. what else?>

3.a) I say pick what your budget can afford <do your research fully and decide what works best for you. Buy cheap buy twice>

3.b) if you can afford the Kia your unlikely to buy the MG <possibly not always so, easy to get caught up in the latters hype and miss the actual real world limitations>

3.c) in fact your probably unlikely to buy the Kia as you'll probably aim for an M3 <or because of basic design preferences along with; manufacturer satisfaction ratings, warranty fulfillment prospects, parts availablilty, service, repair and insurance costs etc. etc. In reality. Probably not>

4.a) These reviews are much like the Zoe vs Leaf reviews of a few years back <uncertain that this actually applies here>

4.b) Not based on price point <MG cost keeps getting closer to KIA but value does not>

4.c) space or even in that case class of vehicle <these have almost identical wheel base, width, height etc.>

4.d) MG in Excite trim is almost the cheapest EV you can buy, and when you compare it to its cheaper competition the e-Up! you think but I could have car twice the size for almost no extra cash! <but perhaps only half the quality>

If in anyone's view there's been any major missrepresentation or over indulgence in humour above then please do feel free to indicate valid alternative perspectives.

For the time being, my assesment of the scope and scale of shortfalls in the MG are: A very low quality and annoying, appless, user interface. Its at best; indeterminate rear suspension, lack of regen on SCC and regardless of legal bulb choice, extremely poor headlighting. The more minor ones run to lack of lumbar support, non ventilated material in seat back and squab which is also non tilt adjustable. Along with a very oddball set of front cornering characteristics and a somewhat primitive HVAC, battery management set etc. etc.

By the time the MG has been remodeled and upgraded to match the KIA. One way or another likely any price differential will have almost dissapeared.

Have you driven the MG? Or are you basing your "knowledge" on what you've read?

One thing I'd like to question you on. How is the battery management an issue on the MG? Liquid cooled and heated just like the latest soul?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

One thing I'd like to question you on. How is the battery management an issue on the MG? Liquid cooled and heated just like the latest soul?

^ See post #6 above ^

Owned, driven, tried, tested, extensively reworked and exhaustively upgraded. But basic fundamental problems sadly too intractable. Wasted far too much time, money and effort all to no good result. GIGO?

Perhaps the more useful question is not what features exist but how well and at what cost and consequence they are implemented?

The Kia's Heat Pump dramatically lowers power consumption overheads, provides way better cabin conditioning and yields a more extended and consistent range.

Thanks for the response. Hope the above helps?..

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Care to share these upgrades?
From the brevity of content and consideration in recent posts on this thread.

It's clear some thought has been given to these.

By way of reciprocation will respond later...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

My several clarifications on and rebuttals of all points raised remain uncommented, unchallenged and unquestioned these are now taken as all fully accepted?

I intend to publish the MG project list here as it does relate to key differences between the two cars and to the means and methods which some owners may wish to pursue in closing the gap.

As such will later place the more detailed practical and theoretical information within its native forum.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
Hardly, I think the fact that no one else has replied to you because they are following the adage "Don't feed the trolls!".

You never did reply with your upgrades.... one can only presume they were pretty lame.

Reactions: freddym

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hardly, I think the fact that no one else has replied to you because they are following the adage "Don't feed the trolls!".

You never did reply with your upgrades.... one can only presume they were pretty lame.

Others of a more diligent disposition may conclude that making lazy baseless accusations is a goal more important than reading, understanding and responding to the actual content of the thread.

Evidential failure to apprehend a clear statement of ownership of both vehicles. Further neglectful ignorance of a written commitment to publish both the project list and relevant details is not a confidence inspiring basis that subsequent provocative presumptions are worthy of any attention past this point.

Undue concern over whether others may find what is committed to writing here as likeable is irrelevant. That it is true or at least pointing towards the truth in a usefully indicative way. Is not.

Please do forgive if there is any error in the above assumptions. As same is offered for all similar presumptions.

Life's just far too short to persist with that kind of nonsensical misunderstanding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts