Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been in touch with Kia UK about what would be the appropriate sized space saver spare wheel to buy for the Soul EV. This is what they said:

“Hi James

Yes, you could order a full size spare 16" from your dealer as there's no space saver that would be appropriate. We strongly recommend that any wheel change is done professionally using a lift because of the following:

• There are no specific jacking points – only lift points for use on a four point lift.
• Kia do not offer a suitable jack. All Kia jacks are scissor jacks, which we strongly advise against using with an EV (even with a jacking block)
• The jack will be close to the battery pack. Should the vehicle slip for any reason, the jack could penetrate the battery pack and damage it beyond repair.

Kind regards
Kia Customer Service”

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does, but what would the AA or RAC do if they came out to you with a flat?

I was thinking to take out breakdown to take advantage of their service with one size fits all space savers to get me to a garage of choice rather than having to buy a mismatch or have to use the dreaded gunk.

Do they routinely tow EV’s with a flat or do they whip the wheel off with a scissor jack and try and plug it or failing that fit a space saver.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
I imagine they tow or flatbed you to the nearest tyre place.

Or out of hours to your home where you can arrange a mobile fitter to come out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
RAC Came out to my flat and called in a mobile tyre fitter to replace it. Cost me though. I would imagine nobody would know about this issue. Sounds like my spare in the back won't be much use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was at work and noticed that someone was having a tyre fixed/replaced by a mobile fitter. The car was jacked up with a cylindrical air bag connected to a compressor.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
I was at work and noticed that someone was having a tyre fixed/replaced by a mobile fitter. The car was jacked up with a cylindrical air bag connected to a compressor.
Probably a good idea, you can buy these and carry them in the boot. Normally the connect to the car exhaust, so a normal tyre compressor would be slow.

A bit safer than a scissor jack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts