Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been in touch with Kia UK about what would be the appropriate sized space saver spare wheel to buy for the Soul EV. This is what they said:

“Hi James

Yes, you could order a full size spare 16" from your dealer as there's no space saver that would be appropriate. We strongly recommend that any wheel change is done professionally using a lift because of the following:

• There are no specific jacking points – only lift points for use on a four point lift.
• Kia do not offer a suitable jack. All Kia jacks are scissor jacks, which we strongly advise against using with an EV (even with a jacking block)
• The jack will be close to the battery pack. Should the vehicle slip for any reason, the jack could penetrate the battery pack and damage it beyond repair.

Kind regards
Kia Customer Service”

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does, but what would the AA or RAC do if they came out to you with a flat?

I was thinking to take out breakdown to take advantage of their service with one size fits all space savers to get me to a garage of choice rather than having to buy a mismatch or have to use the dreaded gunk.

Do they routinely tow EV’s with a flat or do they whip the wheel off with a scissor jack and try and plug it or failing that fit a space saver.

·
Registered
13,587 Posts
I imagine they tow or flatbed you to the nearest tyre place.

Or out of hours to your home where you can arrange a mobile fitter to come out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
RAC Came out to my flat and called in a mobile tyre fitter to replace it. Cost me though. I would imagine nobody would know about this issue. Sounds like my spare in the back won't be much use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was at work and noticed that someone was having a tyre fixed/replaced by a mobile fitter. The car was jacked up with a cylindrical air bag connected to a compressor.

·
Registered
13,587 Posts
I was at work and noticed that someone was having a tyre fixed/replaced by a mobile fitter. The car was jacked up with a cylindrical air bag connected to a compressor.
Probably a good idea, you can buy these and carry them in the boot. Normally the connect to the car exhaust, so a normal tyre compressor would be slow.

A bit safer than a scissor jack.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve been in touch with Kia UK about what would be the appropriate sized space saver spare wheel to buy for the Soul EV. This is what they said:

“Hi James

Yes, you could order a full size spare 16" from your dealer as there's no space saver that would be appropriate. We strongly recommend that any wheel change is done professionally using a lift because of the following:

• There are no specific jacking points – only lift points for use on a four point lift.
• Kia do not offer a suitable jack. All Kia jacks are scissor jacks, which we strongly advise against using with an EV (even with a jacking block)
• The jack will be close to the battery pack. Should the vehicle slip for any reason, the jack could penetrate the battery pack and damage it beyond repair.

Kind regards
Kia Customer Service”
I had already bought a spacesaver and tools outfit from an Auto Salvage place out of a Soul 1.6 GDi when I saw this post. The tire is a T125/80D16. I don't know why Kia say it isn't appropriate for the EV, it clearly is. Just tried it out and it fits perfectly, and the Kia jack slots nicely into the "recess with fin" where the jacking points normally are on a car. Kia may say it isn't a jacking point, but it looks like one and works like one. There is no way it can slip out, and if the vehicle is level it isn't going to move.

The only issue is where to stow it - it can't go in the recess where ICE Souls fit theirs, because the battery ventilation fan is fitted there, so I removed the foam stowage tray which goes under the boot floor, and it tucks in nicely on the right-hand side, with the weight taken on the steel floor and the "pump+goo" tray. The recharging lead bag fits on the left with plenty of room left for other gear. I found I needed to put the wheel in upside down - can't remember why, so the foam stowage for the tools goes in first (also upside down - but the tools don't fall out), with the wheel on top.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had already bought a spacesaver and tools outfit from an Auto Salvage place out of a Soul 1.6 GDi when I saw this post. The tire is a T125/80D16. I don't know why Kia say it isn't appropriate for the EV, it clearly is. Just tried it out and it fits perfectly, and the Kia jack slots nicely into the "recess with fin" where the jacking points normally are on a car. Kia may say it isn't a jacking point, but it looks like one and works like one. There is no way it can slip out, and if the vehicle is level it isn't going to move.

The only issue is where to stow it - it can't go in the recess where ICE Souls fit theirs, because the battery ventilation fan is fitted there, so I removed the foam stowage tray which goes under the boot floor, and it tucks in nicely on the right-hand side, with the weight taken on the steel floor and the "pump+goo" tray. The recharging lead bag fits on the left with plenty of room left for other gear. I found I needed to put the wheel in upside down - can't remember why, so the foam stowage for the tools goes in first (also upside down - but the tools don't fall out), with the wheel on top.
The problem will probably arise when you drive it with a wheel that does not match the weight and profile of other 3.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I don't know why Kia say it isn't appropriate for the EV, it clearly is
Maybe because they make the car and know the law? The EV model isn't type approved to use a space saver (probably due to weight) and doing so will probably invalidate your insurance and potentially be against the "The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986".

·
Registered
297 Posts
This might give you some insight to the issues

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The MG ZS EV cannot use the space saver from the petrol ZS. It has to use the space saver from the larger GS petrol. Weight could well be the key to why the Soul EV should not use a space saver.
I’m still thinking about buying a full size spare. IanL, could you post a photo or two of how you’ve fitted the space saver in the boot? Think a full size spare would fit too?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the concern re ESC, but I'm not too bothered because you're never far from a tire repair shop in Jersey, so the spacesaver is just to allow me to get there and have the puncture repaired.

EDIT: And, in any event, the ESC can be turned off if it causes an issue during the above trip.

I will post a photo tomorrow, James, but I think the extra width of a full-size would prevent the boot floor being fitted in position. That won't matter too much for a short trip to the tire repair shop, but wouldn't be satisfactory as a long-term measure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the concern re ESC, but I'm not too bothered because you're never far from a tire repair shop in Jersey, so the spacesaver is just to allow me to get there and have the puncture repaired.

EDIT: And, in any event, the ESC can be turned off if it causes an issue during the above trip.

I will post a photo tomorrow, James, but I think the extra width of a full-size would prevent the boot floor being fitted in position. That won't matter too much for a short trip to the tire repair shop, but wouldn't be satisfactory as a long-term measure.
Just thought that explains why Kia does not advise a spare and be prepared for all sorts of things to happen even on a short journey, I guess you have to work out how many times you would expect to use it as opposed to the extra weight and diminished storage, EVs are about accepting things that generally are outside your ICE comfort zone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
James - the full-size is 1.8" greater diameter and 3.2" greater width. I think the diameter could be accommodated if the tire is placed on the centreline, where the space (front-to-back) is greater than on the side (downside is that the tire will bear on the casing of the fan, which I would not recommend), but the greater width will definitely not allow the boot floor to seat on its mounts.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
72 Posts
No, but it's pretty heavy, and unlikely to move unless the car goes on it's side or inverts!
In an accident that will act as a projectile that will keep moving at the same speed as the car. It will demolish headrests and heads in the way. It must be fixed down securely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts