Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone signed up for the new KiaCharge app?

Which of the two plans did you opt for?

What is the price difference between KiaCharge and the native charger prices?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
159 Posts

Signed up this afternoon for the ‘Simple’ (cheap) tariff. Couple of pounds to register and up to 50P / .45 Euro connection plus outlet rate. Now waiting for my ‘card’ in the post.
Had a quick look though the explanations but not sure yet how useful it will be - looking at driving to Spain this year and just trying to get a handle on what preparations I’m going to need.
Disappointed to find there is still no EV Charging filter to assist in finding hotels with chargers - seems amazing with the level of ev publicity that they haven’t jumped on the bandwagon - a missed opportunity surely to grab captive audience!

·
Registered
84 Posts

I signed up this afternoon for the "Simple" tariff, also now waiting for my card to be sent out to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It depends how much you use them. I can't see the benefit of the simple tariff myself. You're paying the standard rate for that charger + 50p each charge + £1.99 one time payment.

Plus tariff is £2.99/month for some reduction in each charge tariff and no 50p connection cost.

I think I've got that right though correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are happy to pay a bit more for a single RFID or app that covers over half of all chargers then cool. For the Plus tariff then you'll need to charge a certain amount before any savings are made.

The eternal request : Just chip and pin please, enough of the schemes and clubs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So far the benefits remain unknown. But with a trip to Spain in the next few months I’m certainly hoping to cover all bases!
Research so far reveals that France is reasonably well covered (going via Tunnel to enable last minute booking) but Spain less so - and what is in Spain has no provision for chip & pin!
Never yet having used a public charger all seems a bit of a leap of faith!😱

·
Registered
70 Posts
So far the benefits remain unknown. But with a trip to Spain in the next few months I’m certainly hoping to cover all bases!
Research so far reveals that France is reasonably well covered (going via Tunnel to enable last minute booking) but Spain less so - and what is in Spain has no provision for chip & pin!
Never yet having used a public charger all seems a bit of a leap of faith!😱
I actually think driving in Europe is the best reason to use KiaCharge

·
Registered
96 Posts
Isn't this the scheme that has higher per kWh charging costs than just using the charger without the scheme?
I think the charging tarrifs market has yet to settle down.
The gamechanger Europe-wide (not just in the UK) is the introdcution of charge points that will accept payments from normal "contactless" bank cards.
Personally, I have had an account with Chargemaster (now BP-Pulse @ £8 per month) ever since I had a home charger installed, but I certainly DO NOT get my money's worth in free or reduced price charging from their own network. Most of the time I am simply charging at home.
It turns out this was a smart move, as I have yet to use most of these other networks.
Personally I hope that (in the future) the "normal" tarrif for charging will be that available to anyone using a contactless bank card, and that any network that is also operating its own "loyality cards" would offer its members a very considerable discount on this.
It may well take a change of law to "open-up" a country's charging infrastructure to everyone, but I sense this is very much on is way, as demand for chargers grows and the political pressures to improve access to existing charging infrastructure grow exponentially.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Card arrived this morning and now ‘registered’ (takes up to 24hrs)
Just had a quick look and first impressions disappointing.
Set a route through France and Spain and all the charge locations seem to be in towns and villages - no main route / motorway services, and an awful lot of the ones I opened are 4kW!
Also no ZapMap type distance to charge options - just set the A to B, then ‘Show chargers’ and then zoom in to view the displayed locations where you guess you can reach!
Needs more study!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Card arrived this morning and now ‘registered’ (takes up to 24hrs)
Just had a quick look and first impressions disappointing.
Set a route through France and Spain and all the charge locations seem to be in towns and villages - no main route / motorway services, and an awful lot of the ones I opened are 4kW!
Also no ZapMap type distance to charge options - just set the A to B, then ‘Show chargers’ and then zoom in to view the displayed locations where you guess you can reach!
Needs more study!
Thanks. I really do appreciate your first impressions which count for a lot in my book!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just spent another hour playing with this.
Set a route Calais to Alicante.
Set the filters to 22 to 350 kW charge rate, plug type CCS and Type 2 and was then presented with the option of 644 charge operators to choose from! Most unrecognisable foreign (naturally!) operators so eventually (after getting limited options on the map route) selected them all individually (my thumb was actually beginning to feel sore from tapping the screen!)
With charge options still limited reduced the charging rates to 0 and selected all plug types. Strangely there were still not many stations and none on the Spanish side of the border. Something’s not right - I’m sure there were more stations when I played with this yesterday! Cleared all the filter options and lots more stations appeared...!
What stations there are have no distance from start provided - but do include distance from ‘Current location’!!
So - it is only possible to plan a route from your current location.
Selecting a charge station I guessed to be perhaps 50mls SE of Calais on the Calais to Alicante route gave a distance of some 350 mls from start!
Played around and can find no option to change this.
Maybe I’m getting something wrong here otherwise it is not going to be of much help getting us to Spain!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Contacted Kiacharge about the distance to charger anomaly on Monday and received a reply on Thursday advising that they had notified their technical dept but that Kia managed the app and I might like to contact them.
As a point of interest I’ve loaded the Chargemap app too,for the French / Spanish part of the trip (and paid the 19 euros for their card) and surprise surprise same problem - all station distances given relative to home in UK!
E mailed ChargeMap and received a reply 30 mins later asking for a screenshot, on receipt of which they confirmed I was correct, that this was the first they’d heard of the issue and that it would be added to the next update, but could not confirm when...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
711 Posts
For charging stations in Spain I recommend using the Electromaps app. It does not allow you to plan routes but the content is quite comprehensive. A lot better than A Better Routeplanner which will guide you to wonky or even inexistent chargers.

The community around Electromaps is very active in giving feedback on charger reliablity. You can also use the app to pay for certain chargers, but I'd recommend getting the apps for the main operators. Depending on where you travel in Spain that would be Easycharger (highly recommended), Iberdrola (mixed feelings but generally OK), Endesa (same as Iberdrola) and Wenea (apparently lots of issues). Then there's some minor operators but Electromaps will show you for each charger which app and / or card to use..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts