Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started hearing a knocking sound from the front, it sounds like going over tram lines and gets progressively faster as the car goes faster, I do not get any vibration from the steering wheel, bit of history: I have had the car 4 days and there is some warranty so will take it in for them to take a look (but would like to hear from anyone who could identify this in advance), it was serviced, MOT, 4 new tires, front discs and pads, has done 36,500 miles. Another small problem which I don't think can be connected but the tire sensor warning comes on after driving a short time, this has happened to me before with other cars after a tire change and resetting it is all that's needed but I have reset it several times but the warning still comes back, I'm guessing it could be a faulty sensor. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,129 Posts
Knocking could be the front suspension drop links - they're really designed for the Clio, not for the extra weight of the Zoe battery.
Check your tyre pressures are 38psi all round, as recommended by the owner's club. The manufacturer pressures on the door sticker are very close to the sensor trigger limit

·
Zoe Devotee
9,392 Posts
Knocking could be the front suspension drop links - they're really designed for the Clio, not for the extra weight of the Zoe battery.
Check your tyre pressures are 38psi all round, as recommended by the owner's club. The manufacturer pressures on the door sticker are very close to the sensor trigger limit
Drop links generally make the most noise when going slow over uneven roads, they're pretty quiet when up to speed. Could well be something more serious if the noise increases as you go faster, so don't drive it, get it trailered right back to the dealer for investigation.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I found this from Renault which may shed a bit more light on the origins of the suspension.

Renault ZOE is based on the “B” platform already used by around twenty Alliance models including New Renault Clio. The front suspension, which is shared with New Clio, is of the McPherson type, associated with a lower wishbone arm. The sub-frame and lower suspension arms are taken from the next segment up (Mégane) for increased comfort and more precise steering. The rear suspension features a programmed-deflection flexible beam. It is the most robust in the Renault group in order to take the weight of the battery positioned in the chassis. It has been optimised for greater comfort, with the addition of polyurethane bump stops for better damping.

·
Registered
Zoe R110
481 Posts
If the noise is a regular nocking that you could say was once per wheel revolution then I'd just been having a look in side the wheel of all points towards the gearbox as it would indicate something has come a drift. Hard to say what that might be. I was thinking of a wheel weight strip as the tyres have been changed. I'd expect some wheel vibration though so it probably isn't that.
As you mentioned the discs being changed it could be something loose in the disc vents hitting the caliper as it goes round. A small bolt for example. Oddly you might not be able to see that if there is something on the inside that is unable to come fully out, when stationary it could fall towards the inside which could only be seen form the inside of the brake disc. Never seen it before but it is possible
Lack of vibration though sould point towards something coming in to contact with a rotating part instead of the other way round.

Actually, either way jack up the front corner you think the sound is coming from and turn the road wheel by hand. The fault should be pretty obvious then, anything but the rubber sound from the CV boot or the slight shshing from the brake pads is not a good noise. Just keep going in on direction not back and forth. Only take a few mins to put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The mystery knocking sound has been solved :) the 4 wheel nuts on the drivers side were all loose (thanks Jayjay for suggesting checking them) and no thanks to the garage that fitted them, it should have been one of the first things I checked but as it had only a few days previously had new tyres fitted then I wrongly a assumed they would include tightening them all, seems it only included tightening 3 wheels :) I wonder now if this could have been triggering the low tyre pressure warning light, I will find out when I have done a few miles later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts