Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever notice a knocking/tapping noise when breaking at a low speed?

With the nicer weather I've had the drivers window open and I've started to hear this noise, like a tapping / metal noise when I break at a low speed. Comes from the front somewhere!

Will take it into West London Motors but just interested if anyone else had noticed anything similar.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you had a look at your brakes to see if you can spot anything ? A few years ago I had a similar thing and it turned out to be a small pebble that had got jammed in the brake caliper assembly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was told that it was a rear suspension thing, the car settling when it comes to a stop / pulling away.

They said it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, still a little strange but we will see how we go!

·
Registered
394 Posts
A knocking braking system is normal on a LEAF ? Was that fob assessment based on them actually going out in the car and experiencing the noise themselves or did they just tell you that when you explained the problem to them ? Just wondering if they put any effort in at all in trying to help you ?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have no knocking at all on my mk1. Not sure I'd be happy being told it is normal. I can't imagine any manufacturer building a car that "normally" makes knocking sounds like that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like Nissan customer service, very dismissive of the problem. I am going to go back, wish me luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Leaf is booked in with WLMG this Friday to resolve the knocking noise. It happens when you come to a stop and then pull away, something to do with suspension but very annoying.

Fingers crossed that WLMG fix it on Friday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No tapping noise here but a 'grunk' sound from front offside wheel every time we go over a small bump or speed hump in the road. It's already been back to local dealers (Glyn Hopkins) who replaced the bushes and it was good for one whole week. It's going back again on Thursday, especially now that the ABS warning lights are on. I wonder if the two are related.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorted. Told it was a problem with the bushes on both driver and passenger sides. No more knocking/tapping noise when I come to a stop or pull away.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess what 2 weeks on and knocking noise back. So it seems the suspension bushes are loose again or something. Will be an interesting call to Nissan dealership tomorrow!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it back in, they did something but I have a feeling it's coming back. So no, not really fixed!! Do you have a problem?

·
Registered
585 Posts
No, I don't even have a Leaf yet (though it'll be appearing soon). I just like to be aware of issue like this, seeing as the Leaf is a pretty new car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts