Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ONTO have just announced the Kona 64 kWh Premium SE has been added to their fleet.

Available for January delivery.

Includes insurance, maintenance, and free charging on BP Pulse, Osprey, Shell, Fastned, Ionity & others.

£559 a month on a rolling monthly subscription.

£50 off if you use my referral code... d55d6

·
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get mine delivered on 29th to sit alongside our Ioniq (38.3kWh).

it’s a replacement car for a few months after our lasses van died. will be interesting to compare against the Ioniq
Andy F-G

·
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
👍 Mine was delivered this week and I’m really impressed so far.

The drive and interior quality is better than I expected, and I was really pleased that it came on Michelin tyres.

Really looking forward to stretching its legs sometime soon, especially now that Onto includes free charging via Ionity, Shell and others, in addition to BP.

What colour have you gone for?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
My wife is interested in this deal, she likes the look of the Kona and the monthly fee is similar to what she’s paying in BIK for her current company vehicle.

·
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
360 Posts
Surely if it is a company car and she chooses an electric car she won't pay any bik this tax year, 1% next year. My company would only entertain salary sacrifice through the lease company that they sourced their company cars through so may not be that easy.

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Surely if it is a company car and she chooses an electric car she won't pay any bik this tax year, 1% next year. My company would only entertain salary sacrifice through the lease company that they sourced their company cars through so may not be that easy.
There are no electric vehicles on the list unfortunately, and she’s due to replace the current car in the next couple of months.

If she opts out of a company vehicle, it more than covers an Onto subscription, so she’s looking at it quite seriously.

I think she likes the idea of a model where she still doesn’t have to worry about ongoing costs with servicing etc, so we’ll see.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good luck with your search. Hope it works out for you. I suppose if you get your own car she can claim the business mileage back.
Surprised there are no electric cars on the list, I wonder if the list hasn't been updated, worth asking maybe , if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if I remember correctly I think I went with the grey as I think I only had choice between grey or white.

luckily the Ioniq is due its first service in Feb so we get the Kona on 29th and the garage we ordered the Ioniq from is 20 odd miles from home (due to our local one being bleeding useless) so will follow our lass as she drives Ioniq to garage with me in the kona then drive home for a little run out untill lockdown is over anyway!

andy F-G

👍 Mine was delivered this week and I’m really impressed so far.

The drive and interior quality is better than I expected, and I was really pleased that it came on Michelin tyres.

Really looking forward to stretching its legs sometime soon, especially now that Onto includes free charging via Ionity, Shell and others, in addition to BP.

What colour have you gone for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Today’s the day @Andy Fenwick-Green - hope all goes well with the Kona delivery!
Well it’s been a week and despite a few little teething issues overall it has gone well, very happy with the car. shame we can’t access the OBD2 port for my monitoring device for stats etc, the only downside really.
I quite like the driving but expected that going by the Ioniq we have had for a year now. Ioniq will be the doggie car and Kona be for all other driving duties!
it’s the long range that makes this a no brainier, and loving the heads up display!

regards

andy F-G

·
Registered
859 Posts

Well it’s been a week and despite a few little teething issues overall it has gone well, very happy with the car. shame we can’t access the OBD2 port for my monitoring device for stats etc, the only downside really.
I quite like the driving but expected that going by the Ioniq we have had for a year now. Ioniq will be the doggie car and Kona be for all other driving duties!
it’s the long range that makes this a no brainier, and loving the heads up display!

regards

andy F-G
I understand the OBD2 port can be accessed for various info - many posts on here about it, inc EVnotify.

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
I understand the OBD2 port can be accessed for various info - many posts on here about it, inc EVnotify.
I might be wrong, but I think he means it’s inaccessible because ONTO have their device in the OBD2 port, and presumably it’s locked in?

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Did not know anything about ONTO…….
I don’t either really, only what I’ve read on here, but I think the vehicles are tracked/monitored by ONTO as there are strict monthly mileage limits I think.

·
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes - Onto have their equipment connected via the OBD port, and actually in my Kona you can’t even see the OBD where it normally would be - they have presumably unmounted it from the normal fixing point and connected it to their device somewhere else nearby. In theory, it should be technically possibly to use an OBD splitter - but almost certainly frowned upon by Onto if they were to find out and especially if it somehow mucked up the operation of their device.

The device is essentially so that the car can be locked/ unlocked via the Onto app. Customers aren’t typically provided with the key, and instead use the app to lock/unlock, and also to check remaining mileage allowance and battery level. Some people prefer using the app and don’t really miss the key, others aren’t so keen.

The device does also allow Onto (and the customer) to monitor the location of the car. Cars are also fitted with dashcams which Onto say only record video and only when they are activated - so not continuously.

The mileage limit is 1,000 miles per month - but they can be rolled over. It’s also possible to purchase additional mileage packs (similar to additional mobile data) for long trips, or potentially even just if you do a lot of miles. I believe the max total is something like 1,750 a month - so 21k a year.

It’s definitely not for everyone, but it’s potentially a good option for some people who want to try a few different EVs without really committing to one (the minimum term is only 1 month).

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
ONTO is a brilliant model if you need an EV for a few months, we were very happy with their service when we had the i3. The app generally worked OK for us, but I can see why some people wouldn't be keen. Best for people who looks after cars as they do seem to be keen to charge for trivial damage! We had photos showing it on arrival so got it cancelled.

I am less sure about using longer term as I would lose my no claims bonus after (I think) 2 years. I did compare costs of their ZE50 vs PCH and I could have saved money going ONTO because we don't need two cars for a lot of the winter. However, there was a risk of delay in getting one this Spring and typically no choice of colour, etc. I also prefer to have my own dashcam, not all incidents end in an accident and I suspect it would be hard to get footage from ONTO to report dangerous driving or similar.

·
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah there’s been a few concerning reports of their contractors that deal with returned cars being overly picky - but from the sounds of various things being said on the Onto community forums, hopefully those days are over now and the returns will be assessed less harshly. Quite a few people had some fees applied and since cancelled - and it seems like (touch wood) there have been far fewer such reports more recently.

NCB is a good point - I think I read somewhere that some insurers or brokers will actually honour it if you can provide a letter or similar from Onto. Can’t vouch for that though.

In the i3 there was a 12V socket in the boot so I installed my own rear dashcam just with a plug-in adaptor. It was one of the ones that comes with an electrostatic sticker which you apply to the glass first, then stick the dash cam to the sticker. The cable easily tucked away into the window rubbers. Was rock solid, only cost about £40 I think- and took all of 2 mins to cleanly remove. I may well do something similar on the front and rear of the Kona - although the Kona isn’t as straightforward with no 12V in the boot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts