Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so the troubles and trials with using the Kona on Ecotricity are well know

Hit or miss but mainly miss..

Today I had to take my car up to DSG in Morecombe to have some new parts fitted to steering

Anyway stopped at Lancaster NB services for a coffee as usual car refused to charge on the CCS there (cuts out after about 90seconds unless the charge in the car is above 74%).

But just borrowed a new 2020 Kona with the revised Infotainment system and app. And this car charges on the same charger no issues at all

All very odd I wonder what changes they have made on the 2020 so it works

Although they have blocked access to the CCS unit with the temporary social distancing entrance to the services so if the chademo unit is in use then you are stuffed anyway

·
Registered
166 Posts
huh, that's very interesting.
We'd need someone with some fancy kit to plug in and see if it's sending anything different I guess - unless they've just updated the station

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
424 Posts
The new kona has the faster charger so presumably its the changes around this that allows the handshake to be more successful. Yours in ignorance.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new kona has the faster charger so presumably its the changes around this that allows the handshake to be more successful. Yours in ignorance.
The faster charger is 11Kw AC, its the DC that failed on the earlier cars and thats not changed on the new ones

Unless the Mysterious Software update it had today. BMS, MCU & VCULDC & IGPM Update High Voltage Battery Monitoring makes the old ones work like the new ones (Can only hope)

Wont know till they fix what they broke when they were fixing my car.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did they sort out your smoking engine? Sounds serious...
Yep not sure why they put it down under that, it was failed 12v batter (Bad Cell) ;-)

The car was in for a faulty steering linkage, but when I picked it up the Airbag light was on and no controls on the steering column were working ) Paddles Buttons Horn all dead and the regen levels were missing from the screen. So something got nerfed. So its stuck there while they resolve it.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Hopefully just a connector they've missed in reassembling.

If they've torqued a bolt up with a cable trapped it could be a big job, especially if that's shorted something delicate like the screen systems or a computer.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully just a connector they've missed in reassembling.

If they've torqued a bolt up with a cable trapped it could be a big job, especially if that's shorted something delicate like the screen systems or a computer.
Luckily nothing overly major. The clock spring that transfers electrics from the steering wheel to car broke so just waiting a replacement from Hyundai and should have car back Friday

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is a bit off topic but in all the time I've had the car I've never had or heard from the dealer about software updates

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lucky for you it decided to break then rather than when you were on a long trip :)
Problem is I have now been told the springs are on backorder and none in UK, so they have no idea it will be till they get one, so car is off the road till then..

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Problem is I have now been told the springs are on backorder and none in UK, so they have no idea it will be till they get one, so car is off the road till then..
There's a big surprise. Not an item that is known to need routine replacement, only when 'prompted'.
I hope you are making your displeasure obvious.
I assume they've given you a loaner of some sort and will get that small part here by express delivery.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a big surprise. Not an item that is known to need routine replacement, only when 'prompted'.
I hope you are making your displeasure obvious.
I assume they've given you a loaner of some sort and will get that small part here by express delivery.
Not moaned at them as its nothing they can do about it

Will (DSG Morecombe). lent me his new 20 Reg Kona, so got that to run around in till mine is ready, so at least still on the road in full EV.. I know a lot of other dealerships would not have been so helpful.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,922 Posts
If it is literally just a spring can a machine shop make one to spec to use until the official one appears? It seems a bit daft to have a car off the road due to something as trivial.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it is literally just a spring can a machine shop make one to spec to use until the official one appears? It seems a bit daft to have a car off the road due to something as trivial.
I dont know, there is a lot going on there, as none of the buttons on the steering wheel or the horn or the regen paddles are working, along with the airbag lights being on. So I figure they dont want to fiddle with something heath robbinson.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
If it is literally just a spring can a machine shop make one to spec
No. A clockmaker might. :)

They aren't really springs in fact, just look like clock springs. They are fine multiple turn loose windings that provide a 'solid' current path for the electrics in the steering wheel without using slip-rings which are troublesome. They have to be able to absorb about three turns of the wheel without being stressed.

I don't know how or where they live on the Kona, but as the car was having work done on the steering I'll bet the tech has managed to damage them. Or maybe someone else spun the steering wheel round for a laugh while the linkage was disconnected without realising what it would do.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
This is a bit off topic but in all the time I've had the car I've never had or heard from the dealer about software updates
That's because if they're anything like my local dealer, they can't even spell "electric" never mind understand them. They do everything possible to get out of actually doing any work. They flatly refuse to check for software updates unless you explicitly tell them to and then they huff about it. Little wonder Hyundai dealers don't rate well in the J D Power surveys.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Back on topic, @stageshoot I'd be very interested to hear if Ecotricity chargers continue to work on your 20 plate Kona...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back on topic, @stageshoot I'd be very interested to hear if Ecotricity chargers continue to work on your 20 plate Kona...
Hope to try a few over the weekend,

Went to 3 on Thursday but 2 were already in use by Leafs so I didnt wait, and the 3rd worked but it was one of the new Eface Triple Header units and they are known to work on the kona anyway unlike the DBTs.

WIll add any others I can try that I know fail on the 68 to this thread as I use them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts