Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done 7800 km (4800+ mi) and at this point OBD reader is telling me SOH is 100.0%.
I am not sure if the number is correct or if the battery in Kona has actually very well maintained its health. Or has Kona got so much reserve over the useable capacity that the degradation has not yet reached the usable capacity?

Those who have OBD readers, what degradation numbers are you getting so far?

From Leaf owners I have seen that at this kind of mileage they are already seeing 2-4% degradation.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have done 7800 km (4800+ mi) and at this point OBD reader is telling me SOH is 100.0%.
I am not sure if the number is correct or if the battery in Kona has actually very well maintained its health. Or has Kona got so much reserve over the useable capacity that the degradation has not yet reached the usable capacity?

Those who have OBD readers, what degradation numbers are you getting so far?

From Leaf owners I have seen that at this kind of mileage they are already seeing 2-4% degradation.
When our Zoe arrived it was at 103% and took about 10k miles to get down to 100%

I have not tried reading the Kona SOH yet (ours has just gone over 20k miles today) what software are you using to see SOH viathe obd Is it torque pro as I didn't think the software plugins had been sorted for the KONA yet?

Reactions: David Tebbett

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Mine is still at 100% after 3,000 miles. ( torque pro files are here BTW JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs )

View attachment 111906
Cheers will dig out my Bluetooth obd and give it a go tomorrow see if at 20k it's still at 100%

It's in for its 20k service next Thursday so will get the dealer to do a SOH print as well to see how that compares

Apparantly there are new maps to install on the satnav as well

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
OK, I setup TorquePro and had a play this morning.

Not sure if I believe the SOH will report back again once the dealer has had it on his system on Thursday

The figures I got are.

KONA1.jpg

Reactions: tanelv

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Can I just ask the newbie question.... what is SOH, state of health? (SoC State of charge?)
SOC State of Charge (The amount of energy currently in the battery)
SOH State of Health (The % Life "Capacity" left the battery can store)

So say the Kona battery is 64Kw and has 90% of health its lost 10% or 6.4Kw and can then only store 57.6kw

My Zoe lost 3% SOH over 35k miles (Stated at 41kw usable so a 3% Loss was about 1.2Kwh loss)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
171.6kW max power? That's 230bhp! No wonder it's quick :)

Reactions: Paul M

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I am not aware of ANY hyundai (ioniq or Kona) that have less than 100% SOH, reported by OBD.

Something does not seem right with this...
Batteries degrade with age, heat, and charge cycles. The chemistry and quality control make a big difference to the different aging modes. Some EVs seem to have a high initial degradation rate which levels out, but the Kona doesn't. Most EVs come with bigger batteries than the retail specifications state.

It seems definite that the kona's battery is bigger than stated, so it could just be that. Maybe, just possibly, Hyundai cycle the batteries a few times to reduce the impression of early faster degradation?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Batteries degrade with age, heat, and charge cycles. The chemistry and quality control make a big difference to the different aging modes. Some EVs seem to have a high initial degradation rate which levels out, but the Kona doesn't. Most EVs come with bigger batteries than the retail specifications state.

It seems definite that the kona's battery is bigger than stated, so it could just be that. Maybe, just possibly, Hyundai cycle the batteries a few times to reduce the impression of early faster degradation?
I also think the BMS reports different in different cars.

Our 41kw Zoe (41kwh usable 44kwh total) Reported at 103% when we picked it up, this dropped over the first few 1000 miles to 100%,

Maybe the Kona/Niro have been programmed to ignore this Over 100% state.

AFAIK The Zoe and Kona the same LG Packs, Just that the Zoe had air cooling and the Kona Liquid.

Just checked my Zoe records and after 3k miles the Zoe was still reporting back at 101%

ZOE1.PNG

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Laptop and mobile batteries don't have the big buffers at either end of the usable area, i.e. you can use them right down to about 2% and up to about 98% of the total capacity of the batteries. Unfortunately the top and bottom 10% are the killers for this technology. EVs leave these top and bottom bits well alone to maintain the lifespan of the battery. I still get the same range out of my Ampera after nearly 5 years and well over 1500 charge cycles.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well at my service today I asked for a battery SOH check

They came back and said it was at 100%

Then in the next breath said it was green so would not show anything other than that till it went below 70% which seems bizare

Surely they must be able to see what it actually is. So 100% or Green. Clear as mud

Reactions: JohnJ

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well at my service today I asked for a battery SOH check

They came back and said it was at 100%

Then in the next breath said it was green so would not show anything other than that till it went below 70% which seems bizare

Surely they must be able to see what it actually is. So 100% or Green. Clear as mud
Maybe their SOH tester is a simple device with no numerical display, but just a few coloured lights...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts