Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I am new to this forum and hope to get some advice, Thank you in advance
I am hoping to get a Kona very soon (test drive tomorrow).
I often drive and stay overnight at friends who only have domestic 13amp sockets, so I want to top up my car using the Kona domestic charging cable whilst away. (I know its slow)
Hyundai say this is only for emergency use and could invalidate the warranty. (I will get the Pod point for home use)
If this is true it could be a deal breaker for me.
Does anyone with a Kona have any advice please

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,604 Posts
It won't invalidate the warranty.

It's just that there's a potential issue plugging in a three pin charger to an unknown and untested electrical circuit. Could cause a fire.

Just check on it regularly if it's a new place and don't rely on it all the time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Manufacturers will often state that the "granny" charger is for emergencies only. That's a get-out clause to manage risk around poor quality domestic wiring installations, thermal management risks on sockets, etc.

The "could invalidate warranty" comment is less acceptable. Low charging rates are better for batteries, not worse. Short of leaving he car plugged in when fully charged, there can be no conceivable reason for this to be a concern for the vehicle.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a Pod Point charger but regularly charge my Kona with the granny charger off the solar panels and overnight due to the low milage.

Just be aware of the socket you are plugging into hasn't already got a high amp device sharing it (kettle, toaster, etc) and if you use an extension cord, make sure it's rated for the load. :)

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
122 Posts
I would consider the granny charger as a last ditch plug and look at zap map for good chargers near your friends houses or enroute. The Kona's 250+ mile range makes all my journeys easy as I can get there on one charge and often stop for a coffee & a charge on the way home, 30min is enough. The Kona has a great 'how many miles left' display that helps you to sail close to the wind without worry. In addition new chargers are always coming on line and old ones replaced for more reliable models.

I have a zappi charger, at home - one of the few that manages charging from solar panels and / or mains electricity, I regularly slow charge using the solar panels because 20 to 30 kWh over 9 hours of sunshine is free electricity.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Pod Point charger but regularly charge my Kona with the granny charger off the solar panels and overnight due to the low milage.

Just be aware of the socket you are plugging into hasn't already got a high amp device sharing it (kettle, toaster, etc) and if you use an extension cord, make sure it's rated for the load. :)
I also have solar panels and Octopus Go (5p/kWh) for 4 hours at night so hope to do the same as you. Have you automated your granny charger to turn on when solar output is high, or just turn it on when it is sunny, also (sorry to ask so much) Does the heater work ok and does it reduce mileage by a big amount, the wife is going to want the heater on :)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,743 Posts
I often drive and stay overnight at friends who only have domestic 13amp sockets, so I want to top up my car using the Kona domestic charging cable whilst away. (I know its slow)
For the odd visit, as others have said, this is no problem really. Just feel the plug and socket at the house end after half an hour and then again after a couple of hours to check that it isn't getting hot. Gently warm is OK.

But there is another aspect if this is a frequent event. It can be regarded as a tad cheeky to be constantly filling your 'tank' like that. In similar circumstances, I used to plan a visit to a Rapid charger just before arriving at a friends house, so that I got there with enough electrons to get back home, and thus avoid the awkwardness of asking to use their electricity to run my car. I know that it will only be a few quid per visit but if it is 'often' it can build up to a substantial sum over time. I preferred to maintain their goodwill for the rare occasion where I could ask for a favour and plug in, rather than it becoming seen as taking advantage. And handing over a few quid to cover the cost is a bit naff. On the other hand you might be offering a nice bottle of Chablis or 12 year old malt in return so that all is well. :)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I use my granny cable every time the sun shines as it switches on automatically when the PV is exporting. Never seen a problem with it and never seen any statement that its use invalidates the warranty.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,868 Posts
Horlicks from the dealer
The car will be supplied with both cables, you are very welcome to use them.

Supposing you got your Merc new keys and the dealer said " it's got a heated rear window, but don't use it or you might invalidate the warranty"

Or picking up your new BMW 5series and are warned whilst it has indicators fitted, you shouldn't .... oh, hang on a minute, no scrub that one

·
Registered
Kona 64
738 Posts
Thank you all for your reply's. That is basically what I thought but was a bit concerned about what the salesman had told me re warranty. You have put my mind at rest
Is there a salesman out there who knows what he is talking about? Salesmans knowledge on EV’s is generally poor.
Why would Hyundai supply the granny charger as standard equipment and then tell you not to use it as it will invalidate the warranty? Sure you need to check that where you are plugging it in can handle the modest power. Its only 10 amps on a 13amp plug. If no part of the system gets warm I would not worry.

I use mine regularly in the summer at home or when away. At holiday cottages the car might well be on charge from say 6pm till 10am. Thats 16 hours and will add 120-130 miles range. Just make sure you reimburse your friend or you might not get invited back!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did they say this? There is nothing in the actual text of the warranty that could be used to support this view.

The warranty is a download from 5 Year Car Warranty |Hyundai UK if you want to check.
This is part of a conversation I had with the Salesperson, Bold type is their reply
Ok I understand, but will it damage the car if I use the domestic cable on a regular basis ? it could well do if you used it all the time, don't do anything that could damage the car and ruin the warranty! Does it actually say in the warranty that I am not allowed to use the domestic charge Looking forward to the test drive tomorrow it tells you in the hand book not to do it. I have spoken to the tech guys and they also say its to be used only in emergency. Id have to check the warranty wording (not in front of me) . who are you seeing here tomorrow? im sure they can help
and on the Website its does say
"KONA Electric is equipped with an in-cable control box charging cable that you can plug right into a normal wall socket. This charging cable is intended for emergency use only."

But I am not at all worried now after reading the advice from this thread. Thanks

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
This is part of a conversation I had with the Salesperson, Bold type is their reply
Ok I understand, but will it damage the car if I use the domestic cable on a regular basis ? it could well do if you used it all the time, don't do anything that could damage the car and ruin the warranty! Does it actually say in the warranty that I am not allowed to use the domestic charge Looking forward to the test drive tomorrow it tells you in the hand book not to do it. I have spoken to the tech guys and they also say its to be used only in emergency. Id have to check the warranty wording (not in front of me) . who are you seeing here tomorrow? im sure they can help
"KONA Electric is equipped with an in-cable control box charging cable that you can plug right into a normal wall socket. This charging cable is intended for emergency use only."

But I am not at all worried now after reading the advice from this thread. Thanks
The handbook calls it a portable charger and has a long list of precautions you must take but nowhere does it say you can't use it regularly. (that's the online handbook which was last updated for the 2020 model so the facelist model handbook may be different)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I also have solar panels and Octopus Go (5p/kWh) for 4 hours at night so hope to do the same as you. Have you automated your granny charger to turn on when solar output is high, or just turn it on when it is sunny, also (sorry to ask so much) Does the heater work ok and does it reduce mileage by a big amount, the wife is going to want the heater on :)
I built my own solar switch so that when the sun shines bright enough it switches on the granny charger. It cost about £30, got the parts off Amazon, and it works a treat (I have a City and Guilds in electronic servicing).

Scheduled heating works with the granny charger plugged in so the car is nice and toasty when you're ready for your morning commute. Depending on the temperature you set, the HVAC takes about 5 miles off your range whilst it's running. If you have the premium SE, then you should have heated seats which are more efficient than the HVAC.

·
Registered
64 Posts

The salesperson is full of ignorant BS. Ignore the "bold advice".

The granny charger is all I use to top up either via solar during the day or off the regular supply at any time as necessary. As others have said, check for hot plugs and sockets. If no hotter than mildly warm, all ok. It's a 10 amp load - as far as your house wiring is concerned it's exactly the same as a portable electric room heater.

Beats me why the Hyundai advice is that the supplied charger is intended for emergency use only. Perhaps because it is impractically slow if you're a high mileage user. BTW its charging rate is about 15km per hour. (Aussie figures based on 10 amps at 240V). A 10 hour overnight charge will give you back about 150km, so if your daily drive is less than that an expensive fixed EVSE may not be necessary.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I literally used it for 2 years, no problems. In fact it even works with 220V:
OP is in the UK, so he'll be on 230V in any case. Charging at 110V / 10A would be an exercise in frustration for all but the most patient, I think!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts