Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok maybe its just me, and maybe its just because I don't really use EcoMode at all,

But after 16 Months and 60k miles It finally dawned on me that the Green Bar on the Display in EcoMode that goes around the edge of the speedo and gets longer and shorter is nothing more than a spirit level..

It gets longer as the nose of the car points uphill, so you can use more energy before breaching the limit and shorter when the nose of the car is downhill so you can use less energy before breaching the limit..

So OK next challenge is to find hill with a large enough gradient to get the green bar all the way to the end of the display.

Little things for little minds, but it really amused me that I though Hyundai were using some complex algorithm to work out the ideal economy and in the end it its nothing more than a level gauge

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok maybe its just me, and maybe its just because I don't really use EcoMode at all,

But after 16 Months and 60k miles It finally dawned on me that the Green Bar on the Display in EcoMode that goes around the edge of the speedo and gets longer and shorter is nothing more than a spirit level..

It gets longer as the nose of the car points uphill, so you can use more energy before breaching the limit and shorter when the nose of the car is downhill so you can use less energy before breaching the limit..

So OK next challenge is to find hill with a large enough gradient to get the green bar all the way to the end of the display.

Little things for little minds, but it really amused me that I though Hyundai were using some complex algorithm to work out the ideal economy and in the end it its nothing more than a level gauge
Have to check that out now it does sound a bit odd, mind your there isn't much logic behind the eco comfort and sport display by a long way the sport display is the most useful for saving energy as you get a good display of power usage

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to check that out now it does sound a bit odd, mind your there isn't much logic behind the eco comfort and sport display by a long way the sport display is the most useful for saving energy as you get a good display of power usage
Sport Mode Power Usage display is a CON

Put it in NEUTRAL and press the accelerator, the power display still goes up even with the power to the drive off

Its nothing more than a potentiometer measuring the amount the go pedal is pressed. totally disconnected from the amount of power being used.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,918 Posts
There are a few steep hills around Leek in Staffordshire. That might be a good start. There's also the highest village in England called 'Flash' so that's also good for amusement.

·
Registered
613 Posts

I never noticed that!

·
Registered
166 Posts

Put it in NEUTRAL and press the accelerator, the power display still goes up even with the power to the drive off

Its nothing more than a potentiometer measuring the amount the go pedal is pressed. totally disconnected from the amount of power being used.
I wondered about that the other day - it has little correlation with the power/regen on the left

·
Registered
16,808 Posts
Can’t remember what car it was - Suzuki I think.

It had the same thing, although like one of those bobble in a glass 360 degree level.

Maybe it’s just a hangover function from the ICE version?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I wondered about that the other day - it has little correlation with the power/regen on the left
I noticed today that the display in Eco mode was just echoing the throttle position, as I had it in cruise at 70mph but the display was just moving with pedal position even well below the point at which it went faster. Pretty pointless.
My biggest gripe is the loss of the analogue speed indication in sport & Eco modes - there's absolutely no reason for it to do this and replace it with useless graphic wankery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When my wife drives our Kona, she has to have it in the "Normal" mode for precisely that reason. She likes the analogue speed indication and can't get on with the alternatives in the other modes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I noticed today that the display in Eco mode was just echoing the throttle position, as I had it in cruise at 70mph but the display was just moving with pedal position even well below the point at which it went faster. Pretty pointless.
My biggest gripe is the loss of the analogue speed indication in sport & Eco modes - there's absolutely no reason for it to do this and replace it with useless graphic wankery.
That phrase has tickled me " Graphic Wankery" funny but very descriptive

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
That phrase has tickled me " Graphic Wankery" funny but very descriptive
Yes, very true.
Having had an older Yaris for many years I got used to a digital speedo, so I actually struggle to read analogue ones now (and the HUD is digital anyway).
But I rarely use anything but 'Normal' - a difficult junction/roundabout may prompt Sport for a short time if I think about it, but that's very rare. A heavy right foot works pretty well :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, very true.
Having had an older Yaris for many years I got used to a digital speedo, so I actually struggle to read analogue ones now (and the HUD is digital anyway).
But I rarely use anything but 'Normal' - a difficult junction/roundabout may prompt Sport for a short time if I think about it, but that's very rare. A heavy right foot works pretty well :)
I am at 20000 kIlometres in the Kona now and the thing that suprises me is how my driving style " heavy right foot" gets heavier when i know i am able to get where i need to get and come back without charging.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am at 20000 kIlometres in the Kona now and the thing that suprises me is how my driving style " heavy right foot" gets heavier when i know i am able to get where i need to get and come back without charging.
Yep I have found out that the range of the Kona always seems to be just a few miles more than where I am going with speed and hoonery adjusted to achieve that..

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I'm not the only then. I do try to drive efficiently but if the range is there it's so hard to drive slower than the speed limit.

I drive in eco mode a lot, to try and help me be more efficient. The Niro display isn't only a spirt level as it seems to shorten as the speed increases as well as when going down hill. Maybe it is different to the Kona, but probably not much.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Interesting (original post)! I had a look on the way home and it did seem to follow hills.

Did you notice the second, inner line inside the angle gauge thing? It seems to be based on throttle request, i.e. it performs the same as the main indicator needle in Sport mode...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep I have found out that the range of the Kona always seems to be just a few miles more than where I am going with speed and hoonery adjusted to achieve that..
Just drove on a 430 mile road trip... 215 miles each way, 65 mph speed limit for most of the route.. No level 3 chargers along my route, so I had to make it.. On the way to my destination, I had strong tail wind and arrived with 29% remaining, driving at the speed limit of 65 mph for most of the way. On my way back, I had strong head wind and my range kept dropping.. 70 miles from home, my range showed 80 miles.. too close for comfort. Slowed down to 60 mph for the last 70 miles or so and made it with 25 miles/11% remaining..

·
Registered
502 Posts

I tried the sport mode neutral thing and the power setting did not change on mine, I also dont think the blue bar on Eco is a spirit level I dont see what it shows unless it's an average of power, maybe they are changed with the software release dates?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Just drove on a 430 mile road trip... 215 miles each way, 65 mph speed limit for most of the route.. No level 3 chargers along my route, so I had to make it.. On the way to my destination, I had strong tail wind and arrived with 29% remaining, driving at the speed limit of 65 mph for most of the way. On my way back, I had strong head wind and my range kept dropping.. 70 miles from home, my range showed 80 miles.. too close for comfort. Slowed down to 60 mph for the last 70 miles or so and made it with 25 miles/11% remaining..
I assume there was a destination charge involved?

I expect to be able to drive 220 miles in the Niro at 65/70 mph, although I haven't tried it into a head wind that I know of.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I assume there was a destination charge involved?

I expect to be able to drive 220 miles in the Niro at 65/70 mph, although I haven't tried it into a head wind that I know of.
I charged overnight at my Hotel for free... Both trips were done, leaving at 100% charge.. I drove with the AC and Heater off.. Temperature averaged about 60 - 70 F (15 - 21 C) on both trips.. Got 4.5 mi/kwh on the way to my destination and 3.8 mi/kwh on my way back.. Same speed except for the last 60 - 70 miles on my way back..

For those interested, the trip was between Lakeland/FL (north part of city) and Davie/FL. I took Highway 98, 60 and 27 to get to the Fort Lauderdale area. This is the shortest route to get there. I could have taken the Florida Turnpike Highway but I would have needed a charge along the route, so it would have been slower than the shorter route as I would have needed an additional charging stop.
Elevation difference between both locations is less than 100 feet which is nothing on a 200+ mile trip..

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Wow, that's low miles for a Kona in warm weather, well warm compared to the UK at this time of year.
I thought I'd get over 220 miles however I drove above 15°C in the Niro.
Our University trip is just over 220 miles round trip and at the moment that just about works as long as I keep below 65mph and it isn't raining

1 - 20 of 28 Posts