Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Kona 64 Premium SE since mid-September 2018, part of the first batch delivered. I'm loving the car - I've done almost 10,000 miles - but I have an ongoing problem, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing it.

In early February, at about 5000 miles, I noticed an intermittent noise when driving. It was speed dependent, so when crawling it was a faint "click - click", and as speed increased so did the frequency of the noise. The noise was more noticable when slowing down rather than accelerating.

Over the following three months the noise has gradually got louder, to the degree that you can now hear it if the car drives by you. It is also less intermittent, making the noise virtually all the time. Through my own testing I've found that if, while I can hear the noise, I drop the car into Neutral, the noise stops. It is silent while coasting. When I the re-engage Drive, the noise starts again, which tells me its nothing to do with the wheels or brakes, but more likely the electric drivetrain.

It has been in at the dealer four times for this so far. They've changed the gearbox oil, and spent two days stripping the driveshafts, but can't find anything. It is currently booked in for another two days at the beginning of May for a technician from Hyundau UK to diagnose. The dealer has effectively been useless so far, which tbh is all I've learnt to expect from them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Seems like you've eliminated wheels, wheel bearings and drive shafts because coasting wouldn't stop them making a noise.
Is it affected by drive mode or regen settings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul, thanks for the prompt reply. No, the noise is there independent of any drive mode or regen settings. The next thing the dealer wants to do is to compare my car to another Kona electric. They are saying that the noise might be "normal" for the model. I've assured them in no uncertain terms it's not normal! - Roy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I wasn't aware of it during the first week or two of ownership, but it is now evident. In my case it's only during heavyish breaking (using either the pedal or paddle to stop).

I think it only be happens when the battery is cold as it seems to be for the first 10 or 15 minutes of driving. I assumed it had something to do with the battery not being able to take the full level of regen when cold. It seems to be worse when going down hill.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed the same thing. I wasn't aware of it during the first week or two of ownership, but it is now evident. In my case it's only during heavyish breaking (using either the pedal or paddle to stop).

I think it only be happens when the battery is cold as it seems to be for the first 10 or 15 minutes of driving. I assumed it had something to do with the battery not being able to take the full level of regen when cold. It seems to be worse when going down hill.

Thanks matpat, that's interesting. Not quite the same progress as my noise, in that early on mine was more evident after a few miles, and wasn't there from cold. Now it is worse it's there pretty much all the time, hot or cold. My noise doesn't vary with braking. How many miles has your car done? I only noticed my noise starting after around 5k.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It seems to be worse when going down hill.
in @matpat 's case, does the car make the ticking sound when you start charging? could it be related to changes in temperature, and during both charging and regen there will be heat generated. this might cause thermal expansion leading to ticking.

TeslaBjorn showed how Tesla 3 can make quite a loud noise when the temperature changes and something goes donk as it jumps to a new shape.

·
Registered
506 Posts
in @matpat 's case, does the car make the ticking sound when you start charging? could it be related to changes in temperature, and during both charging and regen there will be heat generated. this might cause thermal expansion leading to ticking.

TeslaBjorn showed how Tesla 3 can make quite a loud noise when the temperature changes and something goes donk as it jumps to a new shape.
Not whilst charging, but I only charge on the granny cable and there's considerably more power going into the battery during regen.

I think I've only done about 350 miles in the car, so it's just something I'm monitoring at the moment. I really need to get into another Kona and compare to see if it is anomalous.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Whenever I hear such a noise it's always a stone in the tyre tread, but clearly you've eliminated that.
I'm not sure what can be attributed to being in N. I would imagine the only difference is that the drive electronics is disabled regarding output current but still alive.
Sounds like it needs a look underneath on a lift.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I know they say they inspected it all but as it's something ticking while turning with a load applied I'd still suspect a UJ or CV in the drive train.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've seen a few people complain of a grating noise of some description. The drive train isn't silent for sure. Even Ioniq owners say similar things.

Getting a dealer to investigate as much as they have for you seems rare. Most would just say it's normal, or come back if it persists, could be the discs, they do seem corroded etc.

I sent mine back for a similar noise but it's very hard for some to hear. It's down to the individual's hearing of course. I'm monitoring it

I find with windows open and driving past a wall close to the road reverberates the noise more clearly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wouldn't entirely eliminate the wheels. On a number of occasions I have had clicking, tapping, rattling, varying over time, intermittent depending on load or momentum. The cause turned out to be gravel trapped behind the front brake discs - you need to pull the wheels to check this. For the Kona, the rear wheels too...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,348 Posts
Can you state the relationship of the frequency of clicking to the road speed (assuming it is a linear function)?

From there, then work out what is rotating at that frequency for that road speed.

The first thing must be to rule out anything past the differential by showing it is NOT the same frequency as the road wheels. Is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had an update on the clicking noise? Mine is 2 months old and started making the same noises and now getting more common.

·
Registered
885 Posts
the problem identified on the Niro seems similar, it's a misalignment of shafts. follow the thread from this post onwards:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: same issue on 2019 Hyundai Kona. Dealer says it needs to replace the “gear reduction assembly. “. Part is on order. Hopefully that’s it. I’ll update when that’s done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I also have a clicking noise, which appeared after around 4000 km, only when slowing down, and not always.
The noise never appears when accelerating or in neutral, only when slowing down.

Was the problem solved in the meantime ?

quote :
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Kona 64 Premium SE since mid-September 2018, part of the first batch delivered. I'm loving the car - I've done almost 1 est 10,000 miles - but I have an ongoing problem, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing it.

In early February, at about 5000 miles, I noticed an intermittent noise when driving. It was speed dependent, so when crawling it was a faint "click - click", and as speed increased so did the frequency of the noise. The noise was more noticable when slowing down rather than accelerating.

Over the following three months the noise has gradually got louder, to the degree that you can now hear it if the car drives by you. It is also less intermittent, making the noise virtually all the time. Through my own testing I've found that if, while I can hear the noise, I drop the car into Neutral, the noise stops. It is silent while coasting. When I the re-engage Drive, the noise starts again, which tells me its nothing to do with the wheels or brakes, but more likely the electric drivetrain.

It has been in at the dealer four times for this so far. They've changed the gearbox oil, and spent two days stripping the driveshafts, but can't find anything. It is currently booked in for another two days at the beginning of May for a technician from Hyundau UK to diagnose. The dealer has effectively been useless so far, which tbh is all I've learnt to expect from them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas anyone?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I believe from the threads on the e-Niro forum that Kia basically stripped it and put it together again properly... might be worth a read of those threads.

·
64KW/h Premium SE on order in Galactic grey
71 Posts
Hi Paul, thanks for the prompt reply. No, the noise is there independent of any drive mode or regen settings. The next thing the dealer wants to do is to compare my car to another Kona electric. They are saying that the noise might be "normal" for the model. I've assured them in no uncertain terms it's not normal! - Roy.
My car went in on friday for the technician to look at.
He is apparently ordering some equipment to listen to the chassis?? so i have got to take it back in.
Interestingly mine only does between 1mph and 20 mph and maninly when its warm with extremely light acceleration. like crawling in traffic.
I took the technician for a spin in it and he seemed to think it did it more when turning left but i know catergorically that it does it whatever position the steering is in.
Intersting that a lot of people are reporting this noise around the 5000 mile mark as was mine. Although mine definitely only does it on acceleration.
i recorded the sound but this website wont support the file so i cant upload it.
i fear a battle on my hands coming from Hyuindai

1 - 20 of 54 Posts