Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Kona 64 Premium SE since mid-September 2018, part of the first batch delivered. I'm loving the car - I've done almost 10,000 miles - but I have an ongoing problem, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing it.

In early February, at about 5000 miles, I noticed an intermittent noise when driving. It was speed dependent, so when crawling it was a faint "click - click", and as speed increased so did the frequency of the noise. The noise was more noticable when slowing down rather than accelerating.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas anyone?
I just experienced that yesterday. My Kona has less than 2,500 miles. I experienced that going on the hwy at around 68 mph. I recorded on my phone the noice. I Will be taking my car to the dealer this week and see what they say. Happens while decelerating while driving in eco mode. Has anyone else found the solution to this.. I can provide the video if anyone likes..

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Perhaps if you read this thread through properly, you might find your answers... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also experiencing this same issue. My brand new Kona Electric (which used to be completely silent when driving) is now intermittently making this purring/whizzing/clicking noise that is the most evident when breaking. Started after only ~1000 miles on the car... Bit annoying that my brand new car is already having an issue only a month or two after buying it. Has anyone confirmed that it's caused by a misalignment of shafts on the Kona? And do you think fixing it would be covered under the warranty?

·
Registered
190 Posts
There have been a number of complaints of that sort of noise, including on FB groups. Take it in when convenient so at least it's logged as a complaint.

·
64KW/h Premium SE on order in Galactic grey
71 Posts
Car in today for second time to try and fix noise. They apparently got some special equipment in to listen to the chassis?
Noise had got worse over last 3 weeks.
It can't be a characteristic of the car, it drives me mad.
See what they say, I'll report back

·
71 Posts
Well apparently my gearbox assembly is faulty and needs a new one. very expensive apparently and needing clearance from Hyundai big wigs.
Im not sure what a gearbox assembly is in an electric vehicle as i thought they did not have a gearbox.
anyone with more knowledge than me who can enlighten me on the subject

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well apparently my gearbox assembly is faulty and needs a new one. very expensive apparently and needing clearance from Hyundai big wigs.
Im not sure what a gearbox assembly is in an electric vehicle as i thought they did not have a gearbox.
They're probably talking about the reduction box. This is what transfers the power from the electric motor to the front wheel drive shafts.

John.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I'll be interested to hear what happens to fix this. A couple of people have had the noise sorted on their Niro by getting the alignment correct. Mine, and at least one other, have been in and the noise has just moved from braking to accelerating or the other way around. Mine is going back in next week and someone is coming from Kia UK to look at it.
If mine isn't fixed and a new gear box sorts yours I'll be after a new gearbox as well.

·
71 Posts
I mentioned I thought electric cars did not have a gearbox and he just laughed, in a nice way. He mentioned something about the differential. Said part has been authorised by Hyundai and should be here in a couple of days. Got car back for now. I'll let you know exactly what they replaced and if it's sorted

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
It has a gearbox - it just has only one gear, but it reduces the motor speed to a suitable speed for the wheels, hence the reference to a reduction gearbox. There are then two drive shafts that come out of it for the front wheels, same as an old-fashioned car.

·
71 Posts
Well my car is ready to pick up after having a new gearbox assembly fitted. Fingers crossed the noise will have disappeared for good. I'll take it for a long test drive later and check. Thanks to Hyundai Newcastle scotswood road, found the experience totally painless. Good customer service

21 - 40 of 54 Posts