Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
It sounds to me like an experiment by the engineers rather than an assembly correction. I wonder if it will stay quiet for the remainder of the car's life? Generally splined interfaces provide one side floating radially to avoid over-constraint and certainly the motor's rotor is rigidly located by a pair of bearings. The Chevrolet Bolt has the pinion gear mounted to this spline and held in place with a nut (first photo) ... a common design solution and durable if the spline fitting is tight or a press fit. It appears that the motor spline on the Hyundai (2nd photo) slip-fits into the reduction gearbox to engage the pinion gear.
In this case we don't yet know what Hyundai have done to retain the pinion inside the reduction gear housing. There needs to be some means to allow the spline male and female parts to self-center under torque to distribute the loads at contact surfaces evenly. It may have thrust bearings only, allowing the spline to retain the pinion radially. In any case the slip fit for ease of assembly combined with machining tolerances may have resulted in a slight radial runout. Tuning the motor shaft may simply reduce the net effect. If someone delves into the repair documents to determine the pinion's bearing layout we might have an answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think the shaft switcheroo simply narrows down the problem rather than offers a permanent solution. I have a feeling the design as it stands is intolerant of tolerances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the on-going problems you're having to endure. . . I don't have any paperwork yet. The person preparing the paperwork said it would take some time to get the warranty and the work done documentation ready -- to ensure they get properly reimbursed by Hyundai. Since I live about 100 km from my dealership, they said they would snail mail the package. As I understand it, the motor driveshaft that was rotated 180 deg. and reinstalled was not in the reduction gear assembly (gear box); rather it was (somehow) right at the motor. I'll give my dealership a call tomorrow (Monday Dec. 9) to ensure they will be including specific details on the driveshaft work done. Then I'll do my best to post the details for your dealership to review.
I had asked my mechanic if he had heard anything from Hyundai about how common this "driveshaft rotation" fix for the "clicking noise" issue was, (if it is indeed a long term fix), but he hadn't. The inference being that such information wasn't being disclosed by the manufacturer!

Hello, I'm having the same noise as in your YouTube video. I just got the Kona EV in mid Nov, have about 600 miles on the car. I started noticing the noise this past weekend, only on accelerating at low speeds. Other than the noise being slightly annoying, is there any harm in not getting it looked at or replaced? Essentially, is it only a noise issue or will it end up damaging the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I'm having the same noise as in your YouTube video. I just got the Kona EV in mid Nov, have about 600 miles on the car. I started noticing the noise this past weekend, only on accelerating at low speeds. Other than the noise being slightly annoying, is there any harm in not getting it looked at or replaced? Essentially, is it only a noise issue or will it end up damaging the car?
It will get louder and more than 1 user reported the technicians seeing damage when they had it repaired. Also the sooner you report the issue, the better because if it ever gets into a buyback situation, they go by the mileage when first reported. I would schedule an appointment with your dealer and contact hyundai to report the issue. If enough people report the issue, we may get a recall and then we wont have to worry about damage, how long its broken etc. It will for sure be fixed no matter what with a recall and it will be done right.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Mechanical problems never "get better", they are almost always a symptom of more expensive things to come. Get it straight to a dealer to register the fault...

·
Registered
8 Posts
To let you and the others know, I received a call yesterday (Dec. 5/19) from my Hyundai dealership; 4 weeks to the day I was asked to leave my car with them. I had been feeling quite depressed about not hearing anything substantial from the dealership for the better part of 4 weeks.
They wanted me to test drive my Kona EV, given that repairs had just been completed. The mechanic said that Hyundai had instructed him to access the motor's drive shaft; to rotate it precisely 180 degrees, and then reinstall it. He said he was skeptical, but did exactly as instructed. Although this was clearly a big job, he said it was the only change he made to my Kona EV.
We went on the test drive together, with me driving. Needless to say I was nearly speechless. . . the distracting clicking noise was indeed gone. I couldn't believe it, having endured 4 months of a progressively distracting clicking sound. My Kona EV was finally back to normal. The mechanic was likewise thrilled. He had learned a great deal from working on my EV, adding that he never thought he would one day be working on an electric car. He also said that all the big auto manufacturers were now devoting their full resources to the design and production of EVs.
My dealership will now have to submit a great deal of paperwork to Hyundai, to try and recover the costs for their considerable amount of time spent working on my EV.
Obviously, time will tell (probably within 3-4 months), whether this will be permanent fix.
The clicking noise has started on my eNiro (same drivetrain). I am located in BC and it started at about 6,500 km, Seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Are there any signs of it returning since you had your fix

·
Registered
12 Posts
The clicking noise has started on my eNiro (same drivetrain). I am located in BC and it started at about 6,500 km, Seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Are there any signs of it returning since you had your fix
So far so good, no return of the clicking sound. Between my wife and I we're driving our Kona EV pretty much daily. . . approaching 1,000 km driven since the repair was done in early December. I'm still awaiting the official repairs paperwork from my dealership in Kelowna, BC (mailed last week I believe) -- outlining the driveshaft (at motor) 180 degree rotation "fix." My contact at the service desk wasn't able to confirm if this was a permanent fix or not. However, there was no visible damage noted in the vicinity of the drive shaft, nor to the driveshaft itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alex,
Is it possible for you to upload the paperwork, specifically the part where they describe what they did to fix the issue? I have the same issue and have had my gearbox replaced and the sound got worse actually. The dealership wont just take words written on a forum. Official warranty work papers do make them take notice though.
Thanks,
The paperwork copy from my Hyundai dealership arrived today. I've removed my name and contact details, as well as the "Advisor's" name at the dealership. Everything else is copied directly from my copy of the service invoice (official papers). Note, the cause of the clicking sound for my Kona EV was attributed to "incorrectly timed electric motor to reducer."

Kona EV clicking sound warranty service.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
The paperwork copy from my Hyundai dealership arrived today. I've removed my name and contact details, as well as the "Advisor's" name at the dealership. Everything else is copied directly from my copy of the service invoice (official papers). Note, the cause of the clicking sound for my Kona EV was attributed to "incorrectly timed electric motor to reducer."

View attachment 125670
In the Niro work instructors there is no such mentioning of synchronization or specific driveshaft rotation position requirements for motor assembly to the reduction gear. I’d suspect that Kona is the same. I’d be interested to hear what this dealer has to say about that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well it did appear to be an experiment judging from the description. They will figure out the root cause soon. It can't be rocket science.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai is replacing the engine in my 2020 Kona Ultimate, with a new 701 series engine.
The clicking was getting worse, wheel of fortune sound. It started at about 4K and finally got loud enough at 6k that Hyundai is replacing the engine, and is checking the gear drive for any damage and possible replacement also.
The 701 series engine has a beefed up flange and larger mounting bolts, where it mounts to the gear reduction drive, apparently this fixes the issue. I know several folks who have the same vehicle with lots of miles on it and no problems, so go figure? I will update on the outcome of all this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hyundai is replacing the engine in my 2020 Kona Ultimate, with a new 701 series engine.
The clicking was getting worse, wheel of fortune sound. It started at about 4K and finally got loud enough at 6k that Hyundai is replacing the engine, and is checking the gear drive for any damage and possible replacement also.
The 701 series engine has a beefed up flange and larger mounting bolts, where it mounts to the gear reduction drive, apparently this fixes the issue. I know several folks who have the same vehicle with lots of miles on it and no problems, so go figure? I will update on the outcome of all this.
Yes, Pretty much guaranteed to work, My eNIro (700) motor was replaced with a 701 and the noise disappeared. I suspected the motor to gearbox interface, Nice to know that that appears to be the root cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great to hear Hyundai has stepped-up with such a substantial (expensive) fix for your Kona EV. After the driveshaft (at motor) 180 degree rotation fix early last December (6 months ago), which stopped the "clicking noise" problem for my Kona EV, we've driven about 6,250 kms -- most of this at highway speeds (80 - 100 kms/hr.). Thankfully, the clicking noise (1 click per electric motor revolution) has not yet returned (knocking on wood as I write this). Furthermore, speaking recently with the head mechanic at Kelowna Hyundai (BC, Canada), who did the work on my Kona EV last December, mine has so far been the only Kona EV they have sold which has developed the "clicking noise" problem.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts