Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2019 Kona electric and so far have not needed to concern myself about changing or rotating wheels/tyres.
However such a time may come and as the car is not provided with a jack I'm wondering what the best type of jack and jacking point location is. I can find nothing in the manual that defines this.

Has anyone experience of this or know of recommendations?
I presume service dealers know but they are not usually concerned with the roadside situation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The official service schedule for the Kona includes rotating the tyres at the 20,000 service. My Sept 18 car reached 20,000 last December. I did have to remind the dealer who wanted to charge me £70 for the privilege even though the service sheet they gave me included it as a standard item! . Since I had prepaid for the service plan I was not going to pay thank-you. Since tyre wear is quite low that is a good time to do it.

As regards jacking points, see the photo

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
64 Posts
Are you correct in thinking that your car was not provided with a jack? I thought it was a legal requirement of all cars sold in Europe and many other countries. I have the 2020 Kona, the jack was supplied is in one of the two black polystyrene trays under the boot shelf.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Are you correct in thinking that your car was not provided with a jack? I thought it was a legal requirement of all cars sold in Europe and many other countries. I have the 2020 Kona, the jack was supplied is in one of the two black polystyrene trays under the boot shelf.
Interesting - My 2018 only came with a compressor and bottle of goo. What's the point of a jack if there is no spare wheel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine (2020 Ultimate) in USA did NOT come with a JACK... However, I did recently buy a donut spare & jack package -- just for peace of mind on long trips.

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Was it a two tonne hydraulic jack with axle stands?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
64 Posts
Was it a two tonne hydraulic jack with axle stands?
The original question was about a Kona not coming with a jack, I took that to be a single wheel jack.

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
The original question was about a Kona not coming with a jack, I took that to be a single wheel jack.
Do you mean a scissor jack?

You really have to wonder if it’s worth injury to yourself or damage to the car when it slips out because you didn’t stop on a flat, even surface.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Interesting - My 2018 only came with a compressor and bottle of goo. What's the point of a jack if there is no spare wheel?
My 2018 only came with the compressor and can of gunk. I did buy a DIY Repair Kit to use instead of the gunk. If the worst happens it just depends where in the tread the puncture is and how large. Sidewall punctures are usually not safe to repair. The kit takes up very little space.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Ian,
I'm pretty convinced no jack was supplied. How could I miss it? Could you post a picture of yours please? Does it have a Hyundai part number or logo?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think if cars are supplied with goo and a compressor, no regulatory requirement for wheel brace, Jack, spare wheel etc.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I think if cars are supplied with goo and a compressor, no regulatory requirement for wheel brace, Jack, spare wheel etc.
I think the only requirement in the UK is that if you are carrying a spare it must be legal to use on the car. I doubt the regs give a damn about how you might actually fit it (because breakdown service... ).

·
Registered
334 Posts
The detail of the reinforced seam is pretty common these days with the notches indicating where to place the jack. I used a piece of silicone intake tubing to cushion the jack saddle but it’s not absolutely needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts