Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded in my 2020 Bolt Premier for a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate and felt like making a quick video of a feature I wish the Bolt had.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a MG5 on the way (not listed as an option in the forum registration btw) and it has MG Pilot. I'm hoping it works as well as this as it would make some of my journeys so much more pleasant.

This looks great

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a MG5 on the way (not listed as an option in the forum registration btw) and it has MG Pilot. I'm hoping it works as well as this as it would make some of my journeys so much more pleasant.

This looks great
It’s definitely nice. It’s the first car I’ve owned to have this feature. I doubt I could go back to another car without it. Ha

·
Registered
275 Posts
You notice how the driver keeps having to touch the steering wheel? Presumably, that's to stop the alarm going off telling him to keep his hands on the wheel. This is level 2 autonomy, just like ProPilot in a Leaf or Tesla's system. Level 3 will be legally allowed in the UK this year, which allows much longer periods of not touching the wheel, should any manufacturer have systems that are technically competent to do it.

I wish they/we wouldn't call it self driving though. It is still quite limited and I feel that 'driver assistance' remains a more appropriate term, lest people think it can do more than it can and create accidents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish they/we wouldn't call it self driving though. It is still quite limited and I feel that 'driver assistance' remains a more appropriate term, lest people think it can do more than it can and create accidents.
People that have systems like this in their cars should always be paying attention, I agree. ”Self Driving” for me is when the driver sits back and allows the car (with relatively adequate ability) to take over; Even if it’s only for 30-60 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
People that have systems like this in their cars should always be paying attention, I agree. ”Self Driving” for me is when the driver sits back and allows the car (with relatively adequate ability) to take over; Even if it’s only for 30-60 seconds at a time.
Yes, at level 2 the driver is always in charge.

Level 3 autonomy (as I say, probably coming soon in the UK, not sure about US) is a bit more interesting. The driver doesn't have to be paying attention while the system is active but they need to be ready to take over again within 30-60 seconds (forget the exact figure, if there even is one) of it warning them of the need to do so.

One of the interesting questions is: who pays when the car crashes whilst the system is active?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently traded in my 2020 Bolt Premier for a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate and felt like making a quick video of a feature I wish the Bolt had.
So driving without your hands on the steering wheel - perhaps an IQ test is needed before letting people get in the driving seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So driving without your hands on the steering wheel - perhaps an IQ test is needed before letting people get in the driving seat.
Thank you Karen, for your keen insight and advice. I believe I speak for all of us when I say your addition to this feed has insurmountable value.
Truly, we’re not worthy of such a gift.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you Karen, for your keen insight and advice. I believe I speak for all of us when I say your addition to this feed has insurmountable value.
Truly, we’re not worthy of such a gift.
No problem at all Wally.

But when (not if) you kill yourself by being an idiot, could you at least be considerate and not take any innocent bystanders with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts