Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

경기 남양주서 또 코나 전기차 화재 발생...벌써 14번째

In addition, there was a fire accident in the Hyundai Kona Electric electric car.

001.jpg
002.jpg

The 14th Kona electric vehicle fire accident was held at 3:41 am on OCT-17-2020 at the electric vehicle rapid charging site at the Wabu-eup Community Service Center, Namyang-si, Gyeonggi-do. Occurred.

It has been 13 days since a similar fire accident occurred in Dalseong-gun, Daegu on the 4th.

No human injury occurred due to this fire accident.

According to the Namyang District Office, firefighters arrived at the site 3 minutes after the fire accident, and they quickly succeeded in extinguishing the initial stage.

If you look at the photo of the vehicle fire received by GDNET Korea, it is estimated that the battery part at the bottom was ignited.

The Namyang District Office said that after the initial suppression, smoke continued from the vehicle, and firefighters dispatched to the site were closely watching the situation for more than an hour.

This is to prevent the possibility of secondary accidents.

This fire accident was particularly noticeable when it was connected to a vehicle and a fast charger.

A total of two electric vehicle fast chargers are in operation in the parking lot of the Wabu-eup Community Center.

Both the Kona electric car fire accident in Jeju City on the 26th of last month and the fire accident in Dalseong-gun, Daegu on the 4th of this month occurred at the apartment slow charging site.

The vehicle in which the fire occurred in Namyangju was not burned down unlike the previous Daegu case.

The fire vehicle was moved to a separate location, and it is expected to be investigated by the National Institute of Scientific Investigation.

Hyundai Motor Company has been voluntarily recalling some of the Kona electric vehicles from Oct-16-2020.

·
Registered
343 Posts
14th? Wowsa
We only rarely charge away from home....but that is a worryingly large number of incidents, for sure.
i suspect this should be added to this thread for continuity....

·
Registered
322 Posts
14 cars out of 100,000 sold is 0.014% failures. Just for context.
Wrong context surely?
Need to know how many people use quick/rapid and out of those sessions how often a fire occurs.

Otherwise you could have a million EVs out there charged at a slow rate at home with just a few rapid charging sessions resulting in a fire which would make the stats look even better.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Whilst the subject is of interest I always find it somewhat odd with a 1st post being a sensational one which points to EV problems... or is that just me.
Hadn't checked but have now. Joined one day ago and the first thing he posts is a story about a fire that affects Hyundais. No intro, no idea what car he owns but you can assume it's a KIA since he works for them. Wonder if it's worth letting his employer know that he's posting negative stories about their sister company.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hadn't checked but have now. Joined one day ago and the first thing he posts is a story about a fire that affects Hyundais. No intro, no idea what car he owns but you can assume it's a KIA since he works for them. Wonder if it's worth letting his employer know that he's posting negative stories about their sister company.
The article comes from ZDnet Korea,it is a translated representation of the page, it is the 1st post I will just leave this here bit, which is very reminiscent of a few of the Tesla and other bashing posts which springs to mind.

When I see these posts the 1st thing I look at is who the poster is, as you say joined yesterday and posted this as 1st post makes me think thy have an agenda, which is somewhat sad but experience shapes belief and all that.

Got to love the translator though as it comes up with this headline on another (unrelated ) story.

"Bureau of Orthodox Department optimus fire-poop tuna"

·
Registered
322 Posts
Actually went to the site and had the basic Google translation of it. The comments are very interesting. Massive Hyundai bashing going on. Almost as if the South Koreans hate Hyundai.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Anyway the poster works for Kia. Seen his facebook page. How many Kims can there be ? :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Serious and trying to be funny. There is a Facebook page for a Kenny Kim who does indeed work for Kia and is clearly proud of it. I'm assuming it must be him because as I said how may can there be :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Whilst the subject is of interest I always find it somewhat odd with a 1st post being a sensational one which points to EV problems... or is that just me.
From someone you only joined 6h before posting, no it’s not just you...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im owner of CHEVY BOLT EV as well as member of KOREA EV Cafe.
Automaker do nothing even in 14th fire happen at korea.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Kenny's been with us at Inside EVs since June and I'm sure can give us an inside scoop to what's happening in Korea.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Im owner of CHEVY BOLT EV as well as member of KOREA EV Cafe.
Automaker do nothing even in 14th fire happen at korea.

Hey. Welcome. Most people post a quick introduction before their first proper post so when we saw your first post it got us speculating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey. Welcome. Most people post a quick introduction before their first proper post so when we saw your first post it got us speculating.
Is there any recall news for U.K ?

Here has something happen, one of KONA owner just finished recall by automaker.

After that he start charge, but charging speed just 1KW with FAST 100KW chager.

I'll keep update KONA EV news for U.K owner.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
When you read into it it sounds to me a little like what Tesla did with the Model S, nerfing both the charge rates and the range as a result, I do wonder if this may affect the Kona likewise.

Although I will also say that I have had all sorts ot gremlins following software and hardware changes, which often resolve following a big reboot. One might hope this would be part of any updat process but then we hope for many things and are disappointed sometimes too.

@kenny kim welcome aboard, look forward to further updates as this developes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts