Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 284 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,246 Posts
"Hyundai will begin the replacement of the battery management system (BMS) in 75,680 Kona EVs, 5,716 IONIQ EV and 305 Elec City buses from March 29 in the domestic market and from April in overseas markets, the company said in a statement"

·
3,246 Posts
The 90% recommendation presumably mainly applies to those affected cars which haven’t had the BMS update done, which as I understand it imposes a strict 90% limit anyway.

Because if people who’ve had the BMS update done to their car now also voluntarily set the limit in the car to 90%, presumably that means they can only use ~52 kWh..

·
Registered
875 Posts
The 90% recommendation presumably mainly applies to those affected cars which haven’t had the BMS update done, which as I understand it imposes a strict 90% limit anyway.

Because if people who’ve had the BMS update done to their car now also voluntarily set the limit in the car to 90%, presumably that means they can only use ~52 kWh..
I have had all of the updates and can still charge my car to what it states as 100% and my range would appear to support this.

·
3,246 Posts
Fact remains that as of 1744 24 Feb 2021 there is no formal statement from Hyundai in UK or on the government recall website.
Indeed, what’s your point Mike?

·
3,246 Posts
It would be really helpful if they would, quite quickly, publicly announce and confirm whether recent cars are potentially affected or not....or whether something significant has already been changed in the manufacturing process which should eliminate the issue from cars recently produced in Korea.

If I don’t personally need to be concerned about the Kona sat on my drive just beneath my bedroom window, or sat with me in it at an ultra rapid somewhere, then I’d quite like to know that as soon as possible.

I’ve seen speculative comments elsewhere about cars produced in Korea after March 2020 being different somehow...and 'safe', but it’d be nice to hear it from Hyundai ASAP.
Seeing how they are still claiming to not know what the issue is, Hyundai claiming it’s a separator issue, LG claiming Hyundai didn’t install the BMS fast charging to their specification I don’t see how they can.
Thankfully they have done as I hoped they would and posted the message on the Korean website at least confirming that the latest affected cars they know about were produced up until March 2020 (y)

·
3,246 Posts
That this is all just chatter at the moment. We need the formal statements before any action can or will be taken.
Chatter is sort of the point of this website, Mike. 👍

A bit of abductive reasoning never really hurt anyone, and in this case would very strongly suggest affected UK Konas will be getting replacement batteries. I’m sure the official confirmations on the relevant UK websites will follow in due course.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Well I'm glad I sold mine today.
I'd been planning to for a few weeks, but lockdown was hampering things. Then all this chatter about battery replacement started to float around and I reckoned even if it wasn't as dire as it sounded just the rumours might hit used prices. So stepped it up a gear.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well I'm glad I sold mine today.
I'd been planning to for a few weeks, but lockdown was hampering things. Then all this chatter about battery replacement started to float around and I reckoned even if it wasn't as dire as it sounded just the rumours might hit used prices. So stepped it up a gear.
I'm vaguely hoping for an almost too good to be true brand spanking new replacement battery in my 2 year old car. If that transpired surely value would increase? Somewhat irrelevant to me either way as very happy with car (apart from hardly ever driving anywhere for the last year, but can't blame car for that), and not thinking of changing any time soon.

·
3,246 Posts
I'm vaguely hoping for an almost too good to be true brand spanking new replacement battery in my 2 year old car.
At this point, I’d be very surprised if this doesn’t happen.

Notwithstanding the various reports of a global recall, I just can’t imagine a situation in which Hyundai replace batteries (that occasionally catch fire!) in only some countries and not all of them.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
571 Posts
That was true with the Bolt but I'm not aware of any software-imposed restrictions on the Kona, only importer recommendations last year prior to the 196 update. The pack voltage tells all.

·
3,246 Posts
Found the notice mentioned earlier on 현대자동차 and have got a slightly cleaner translation than the one posted earlier:

[Please note]

This is to inform Kona Electric/Ioniq Electric/Electic customers.

Among the electric vehicles produced and sold by our company for a certain period of time, a defect that could lead to a vehicle fire was found due to a short circuit (short circuit) inside the battery cells due to defective manufacturing of some battery cells produced at LG Energy Solutions' China (Nanjing) factory.
Accordingly, Hyundai Motor Company plans to voluntarily recall for the safety of its customers.

This recall is an operation to replace the high voltage battery system assembly (BSA), and the target vehicles are as follows.
-Kona Electric: Vehicles manufactured from May 11, 2018 to March 13, 2020
-Ionic Electric: Vehicles manufactured from May 2, 2019 to November 30, 2019
-Electic: Vehicles produced from November 16, 2017 to March 11, 2020
※ For vehicles equipped with battery cells that do not apply the insulation coating on the positive terminal part of LG Energy Solutions Co., Ltd.'s China (Nanjing) factory

Target vehicle customers can receive measures from Hyundai Motor Service Centers or Blue Hands nationwide, and Hyundai Motor Company will do its best to prepare parts in advance so that customers can receive battery replacement smoothly.

Due to the battery material supply schedule, the recall will take place sequentially after 2021.03.29, and details regarding service reservations will be informed to customers through the Hyundai Motor Company Customer Center (02-3488-0010) as soon as possible.

In addition, for Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric customers, adjusting the battery charge rate to 90% before battery replacement is effective in reducing the possibility of fire. You can set the charging rate in the Blue Link app or in the vehicle, and refer to the video below for how to adjust the vehicle. [Video check]

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers, and Hyundai Motor Company promises to do its best for customers with a responsible attitude to actively take any single problem.”

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm vaguely hoping for an almost too good to be true brand spanking new replacement battery in my 2 year old car. If that transpired surely value would increase? Somewhat irrelevant to me either way as very happy with car (apart from hardly ever driving anywhere for the last year, but can't blame car for that), and not thinking of changing any time soon.
Mine's definately a keeper, especially after Stageshoot's review of the Tesla Model 3 which I nearly bought. :)

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I'm vaguely hoping for an almost too good to be true brand spanking new replacement battery in my 2 year old car. If that transpired surely value would increase?
In a year or two that will likely be true, especially for higher mileage cars. However, if the battery warranty is not extended (8 years from first registration) that will mitigate the gain a bit.
Since my car was only @ 4,200 miles, the condition of the battery (fire-starting aside) was never an issue.

Somewhat irrelevant to me either way as very happy with car (apart from hardly ever driving anywhere for the last year, but can't blame car for that), and not thinking of changing any time soon.
The car is brilliant and I loved driving it - but it just didn't get driven enough and never would be, even when/if we get out of this pandemic. It just isn't right for our needs and was basically a very expensive ornament which scratched an itch. As such it just wasn't a keeper for us.
The plan is to get something more suited to us and bank about £8k cash in the process. That's a sum not easily ignored.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Found the notice mentioned earlier on 현대자동차 and have got a slightly cleaner translation than the one posted earlier:
Due to the battery material supply schedule, the recall will take place sequentially after 2021.03.29...
In addition, for Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric customers, adjusting the battery charge rate to 90% before battery replacement is effective in reducing the possibility of fire. You can set the charging rate in the Blue Link app or in the vehicle, and refer to the video below for how to adjust the vehicle.
I see, a recommendation for S.K customers. No doubt all our respective country's importers will announce similar guidelines once they have time to absorb the implications, just like they did for the May 2020 196 update. It makes sense for them to trade the goodwill of pack replacement with further reducing the risk of any more incidents by asking owners to limit SoC during what will no-doubt be a lengthy campaign.

·
Registered
571 Posts
There are dozens of reports worldwide. The mystery though is this: "... LG Energy Solution told Reuters Hyundai had "misapplied" its guidance for setting up the fast-charging system."

101 - 120 of 284 Posts