((215/55 R17))

TO

((215/65 R17))

POSITIVES / NEGATIVES ??

Help! Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The biggest issue is that the Speedo will under-read by 5% so if you’re really doing 63mph the Speedo will read 60mph.

If you need extra ground clearance get a set of stiffer springs or a lift kit.

·
Registered
Kona 64
655 Posts
The tyres will be taller, see attached. I do not know if that will allow enough clearance, possibly/ probably! This would mess up your speedo though which would under record your speed by 6.53mph. Enough to get you a speeding ticket if your speedo is accurate now.

You should get a less harsh ride, would be more compliant over poor road surfacs. A bit less sporting though depends what your driving style is.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't recognise your country flag but in the UK your insurance company would want to know about it - and might express some unhappiness.
If I’m not mistaken it’s a Nepali flag. If so I can understand why the OP wants more ground clearance! It’s probably the most beautiful country in the world but sadly the roads are not always the best.

·
Journeyman Human
516 Posts
I don't recognise your country flag but in the UK your insurance company would want to know about it - and might express some unhappiness.
You can't do this at all legally in the UK, the rules are a maximum of 1.5% speedo under reading and 2% overreading if I recall correctly. UK based insurance won't accept the proposed difference suggested here.

·
Registered
Kona 2020
15 Posts
My speedo is overreporting 3-4 km/h as it is now. Have been thinking about putting 205/60 or 65 myself for perhaps better ride quality and maybe a slight increase i efficiency. If I have had problems with bad roads, I would have put on the biggest I could fit

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can't do this at all legally in the UK, the rules are a maximum of 1.5% speedo under reading and 2% overreading if I recall correctly.
The relevant legislation is posted on the gov.uk website The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001 as item #19:
2. For all true speeds up to the design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed.
3. For all true speeds of between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the maximum speed if lower), the difference between the indicated speed and the true speed shall not exceed
V/10 + 6.25 mph
where V = the true speed of the vehicle in mph.
So above 25mph speedos may never legally under-read, but they are permitted over-read by a sizeable margin (10% plus 6.25mph!). This means your speedo could legally read 83.25mph when your true speed is 70mph!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
I'd suggest that you check the clearance around the corners of the current tyres first before doing this - you may well find that that they will foul the bodywork with that much extra.

I thought that the Chinese built super-smooth roads. :devilish:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd suggest that you check the clearance around the corners of the current tyres first before doing this - you may well find that that they will foul the bodywork with that much extra.

I thought that the Chinese built super-smooth roads. :devilish:
Haha, they haven’t yet. We got the best off road tracks. Kona is a joy around city, though 1/2 inch of clearance should save the under belly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts