Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per Multiple reports: Hyundai to end domestic sales of Kona EVs after recalls - reports

Make no mistake, we love our Kona, and have put significant miles on the vehicle, but the feeling that we need to keep it parked outside and away from the building is quite the disappointment, and may mean selling the vehicles or exchanging them will be impossible.

Question is, where does that leave current owners? I've had to make three recall trips to the dealer in the past four months, two of which in the last 30 days. It seems these fires are more than just a software update, leaving me wondering what to do with my purchase? Will they replace the battery packs? Did my vehicle just become a worthless waste of a lot of money? Anyone have a better idea on what this means?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
IMO the biggest issue is going to be post-warranty resale value.
Hopefully all the bad battery cells will have been shaken out by then. Hopefully.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
If you read the article carefully it sounds a bit like Chinese (Korean?) whispers.
The Kona's days are numbered anyway, so obviously Hyundai are looking at dropping it.

the feeling that we need to keep it parked outside and away from the building
Only if you haven't had the (latest) BMS update.

Vehicle knowledge in the used market is pretty lacking, so I doubt enough people will be aware of these problems to affect resale values much. And if they do, well, it's tough luck on us - nothing we can do about it. I knew it was risky being an early adopter, but I accepted it. I have no regrets.
And in fact all EVs are viewed by many with some suspicion because of a few well publicised fires in Teslas and [one of the supercar brands IIRC].
(I think that the early cars with no Bluelink will suffer more with resale values than the whole range from any perceived battery danger.)

·
Registered
Kona 64
676 Posts
Good job then that there is an 8 year warranty on the battery. All this could be history by then. What happens to the facelifted Kona with the ‘Tesla’ nose? Will it be a Europe only model?

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona, Halfords bike
361 Posts
If it affects safety they either need to fix it properly or do a realistic scrappage scheme. But I imagine they will not own up to any faults until forced to by some kind of class action.

But best not to speculate too early. The short circuit risks they say affect:

The recall, which includes software updates and battery replacements after inspections, involves 25,564 Kona EVs built during September 2017 to March 2020

Does this mean later 2020 are OK?

Ironically - last Wed I picked my late 2020 Kona up from the recall and jokingly asked if the upgrade meant it won't burst into flames?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since 95% of the fires occurred in South Korea, I would suggest it is mostly a combination of users charging to 100% on dodgy chargers. If /when the times comes when I need to change the Kona, it will be with the same dealer I bought it from. Let them try and offer a poor deal and I will threaten sale of goods act, if they indicate the vehicle is not fit for purpose. I got a 100% safety pass in writing after the recall, so not worried in a slightest.

The article does state 'Domestic Sales' aka South Korea, so Europe not affected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it is curious to see how they're behaving based on region. Europe (which includes the UK I guess?) it's still being sold, but not here in North America or South Korea. Not sure if that's a legal thing or of there are manufacturing variations in these markets with the batteries???

I also got one of the first 50 here in the states, so I totally get the early adopter thing; it also means that if I don't have a halo car, then it's got the highest chance of having a defect due to its manufacturing age. Frustrating, nonetheless...

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Yeah it is curious to see how they're behaving based on region. Europe (which includes the UK I guess?) it's still being sold, but not here in North America or South Korea. Not sure if that's a legal thing or of there are manufacturing variations in these markets with the batteries???
That's an interesting point. They now have a factory in Europe to serve that market, so it is separate from the Korean domestic market production. But rhd cars for the UK are still Korea built.

Where did you get the not being sold in NA from, as that isn't in the article?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
97 Posts
I'm not worried either, from what I can see the fires started in a faulty battery cell that shorted whilst being rapid charged. All my charging so far has been at home or on low-power chargers, so I'm not worried, first recall done, second recall in January. Not worried at all, far less risk than my old ICE car.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Per Multiple reports: Hyundai to end domestic sales of Kona EVs after recalls - reports

Make no mistake, we love our Kona, and have put significant miles on the vehicle, but the feeling that we need to keep it parked outside and away from the building is quite the disappointment, and may mean selling the vehicles or exchanging them will be impossible.

Question is, where does that leave current owners? I've had to make three recall trips to the dealer in the past four months, two of which in the last 30 days. It seems these fires are more than just a software update, leaving me wondering what to do with my purchase? Will they replace the battery packs? Did my vehicle just become a worthless waste of a lot of money? Anyone have a better idea on what this means?
Is the OP for real? The quoted reference states Korean Domestic Sales

·
Registered
Kona64
1,700 Posts
This 2021 new version report suggests an EV will continue in the range of engines >

(Hint, scroll down a fair bit, the EV reference is practically at the bottom)

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Its somewhat curious that another Kona EV forum I follow, with very many participants in North America, has no mention of this issue to date.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Got all excited about the price for a moment there, then remembered they do a fossil version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts