Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new Kona EV 2020 Premium this week.
And I am full of ideas to upgrade this machine.

Does any one have an service manual of the Kona EV
to take some parts apart?

I was interested in removing the mid console to install some extra USB socket for the back.
And if the there is any room 220v 150W AC socket for a notebook like the E-niro has.

I am also interested in in building an extra 12V socket in the trunk any one has done that already?

Thanks a lot,
for your time guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can not watch the video it is is not available to me it says on Facebook.

Nevermind just saw your full message.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There is online service info, but its a subscription service. You can subscribe for as little as 24 hours for 17 Euro. You can't download stuff but you can print to PDF.

This site has the service manual for the petrol Kona, which will share some of the details of the EV ::

This US site has all the parts diagrams

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Does yours have the 3-phase charger ? If so can you post a photo of the rating label on it, as there has been a lot of speculation on details but no facts yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just popped the hood open and this is what is on the label.

Btw just saw the facebook video thanks a lot for the info.
Now i have to find a way to get 12v in the back trunk.
any info about that?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I just popped the hood open and this is what is on the label.
View attachment 127880

Btw just saw the facebook video thanks a lot for the info.
any info about that?
Now that is very interesting - that looks like it's a higher powered single-phase charger, not 3-phase as everyone had previously assumed!
What is the rating of the charge cable supplied with the car? (cable size is often printed along the cable)
Can you tell how many fat cores are in the cable from the charge port to the charger? Does the connector on the side of the OBC look the same size as in my viedeo?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Now that is very interesting - that looks like it's a higher powered single-phase charger, not 3-phase as everyone had previously assumed!
What is the rating of the charge cable supplied with the car? (cable size is often printed along the cable)
The charger is actually DC, which is single phase in a sense. The AC is rectified first, so the charger doesn't care if the AC on the input side of the rectifier is 1, 3, 6 or even 12-phase, except for the ripple. It (charger) only needs to limit its maximum draw to not overload the AC cable cores or upstream supply, as signalled by the EVSE.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
any info about that?
I ran cables to a rear dashcam under the edge of the headlining and it was very easy. there is an ignition-on 12V supply in the auto-darkening rearview mirror which is very easy to access, so maybe that's an option.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The charger is actually DC, which is single phase in a sense. The AC is rectified first, so the charger doesn't care if the AC on the input side of the rectifier is 1, 3, 6 or even 12-phase, except for the ripple. It (charger) only needs to limit its maximum draw to not overload the AC cable cores or upstream supply, as signalled by the EVSE.
If it were 3-phase, it would spec more than 285VAC on the input as 230V 3-phase is 415V phase-to-phase.
Some 3-phase OBCs (i3 I think) have 3 seperate sections, and use two in parallel for single-phase 32A

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I just noticed that my 2018 Kona does not have the two lowest pins in the type 2 connector populated - is this also the case with the 2020 ? That would be the obvious answer to whether it supports 3-phase

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will check the cables later this evening it is now parked.
I will also check what the inputs cables to the charger.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts