Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time post and appreciate that a lot of this is covered in other conversations and posts but given that it took me about 4 hours to work out what would work and what would not, thought that a long rambling post with a series of observations might at least cut down on the time that it took me to work out a bunch of stuff:
  • Overview - so bunch of functionality on the 2019 model is great but some key stuff lacking - where the hell is Bluelink for a start and why does it not work and why is there no app for the car and why can you not monitor charging remotely and why am I sitting in the car pressing every button going and its not quite doing the dishes and making my lunch...
  • Bluelink - so there's an app.. and apparently it works in the US and AUS and might even work in the UK this year but only on the 2020 10" screen version...so no sign of a retro module yet - but that has not stopped a bunch of folk trying to bust in through the back door to find that the key hardware bits are missing and even Hyundai UK do not seem to quite know what is going on. Anyway have found the VIN (under a bit of carpet under the drivers seat) and sort of found out how to register with Bluelink much good it will do me! You never know Hyundai might produce a widget that you just plug in, add a SIM and away you go and remotely warm car...stop / start and schedule charging..huzzah!
  • OBD - so familiar with the whole OBD thing - had a car that had one permanently plugged into clear over sensitive engine management system - so OBD port - right hand side down a bit by the door - and yes its uselessly positioned and you cannot get a thin sandwich between the cover and the port so no discretely hidden OBD dongle - and someone has even started designing a replacement for home printing if you want access for off and on etc; however you can just pop the port clips and push it through - there are two side retaining clips you can push inwards with screw driver and then connect behind the whole thing and retain the sleek appearance - so problem No 1 solved. As noted in various places - OBD is always on and will drain aux battery and if you have other bits hanging off the aux battery then watch out!
  • EVNotify - need the right bluetooth dongle and provides good information and possibility of remote monitoring with old phone in the car but not exactly seamless and not exactly cool but the developer seems keen and who knows. Good thread on this forum is here sets out the whys and wherefores and which precise bluetooth dongle you need. There are other OBD apps and some with EV specific templates - not trialled any but assume much of a muchness.
  • AutoPI - looks good but its a serious hobby project and while it does now support Kona its a bit of muddle and there is no convenient app and while its super powerful it does not do the do. Website here if you are interested: Autopi Website . Again remember that Autopi is and OBD port dongle so battery drain!
  • OVMS - so this is more like the thing...neat little black box that you get from Open Energy Monitor ( Web Shop Here) - so this to me was one up on AutoPi - has GPS and GSM (slightly ungainly and over-wired aerials) so provides remote functionality and there is an IOS App as well that is pretty cool. It has a device specific cable that hooks into OBD (did I mention battery drain!,. Functionality / Information is pretty good and usual charge information is provided in a good format. It does not allow any interaction so no pre-heat or stop charging function but does notifications (low aux battery!) and seems to have potential. So this is what I have at the moment and its cool - app works well - requires some fiddle faff but its pretty nifty once set up and comes with a SIM installed (outfit called HOLO) and for a small remittance you get live data - I have lost about 0.6v of charge during a day which Kona seems to top up but be warned. Will be great if some of the BlueLink functionality gets added. App currently provides the following data:
    • Motor Temp
    • Battery Temp
    • Auto Battery Voltage and notifies of low voltage
    • Tyre Pressures
    • Car Door Lock Status - you cannot unlock remotely although there are is suggestion that you can
    • Ideal Range and Estimated Range - these are based on trip metrics so get more accurate over time
    • Parked time
    • Charging status and time to full charge estimate - handy
    • GPS lock - cannot for the life of me get this to find a signal and still stuck somewhere in equatorial Guinea..
    • GSM remote communication
    • You can SMS the car through the IOS App and get SOC and other information using the command STAT
    • It also provides notifications and warnings of low aux battery.
  • EVOBD2 - you think I would stop there....oh no...so some bonkers Canadian also got fed up and went and built a little in-car display - very cool little video on You Tube by equally fun Candian guy showing how it works (No Skills Required) - this is on-order and apparently currently languishing in a logistics centre in Oxford - so watch this space. if you want one too ( EVOBD2 Website). This is a blue tooth OBD dongle and separate display unit and the OBD unit will always be on. Data displayed as follows:
    • Battery Percentage
    • Internal temperature
    • Battery status
    • Aux Battery status
    • Various counters (which can be reset
  • UPDATE to EVOBD2 - Arrived from Canada (so much for the Canda-style-free-trade-deal!) with some duty attached. But its well packaged and comes with good quality right angle connector and some velcro. So plug dongle into the OBD port and the screen into USB and.....bingo...some neatly displayed information that not always immediately available on the Kona dash - its rather neat and well implemented. Obviously no remote functionality but seeing some information always on is handy. Couple of pics attached
    5BD25431-0053-427B-B91D-E653A51B715F.jpeg
    B6CA4676-FD8A-4F02-9972-187AD53B6FED.jpeg
  • Charging Stations and Apps - so charging apps and functionality are mostly garbage - have signed up so far for Polar Plus - an RFID card that just about works and subscription model, also have Genie Point (web app) - which keeps crashing at odd moments and the charging points refusing to let go of my car...but seems BP are now in charge so should get better and Morrisons seem to be installing super fast chargers left right and centre. Genie Point functionality is suspect and plugged in last week to the AC Type 2 and managed 0.00003kwh in an hour!
  • POD Point - the not particularly responsive home charging installers - the government grant (£500) goes so far but do not try to customise your installation - I asked for a bit of longer cable and go across a path and they quoted nearly £3K for the "extra work" - so have gone for the standard 7Kwh tethered charger and costing me around £150 - Installation was on-time and efficient. Connected and running in under 2 hours. There is a fairly useless app that tells you how much you’ve spent but otherwise has no functionality. So no lock, no start stop and no scheduling. But it’s neat and with the car location and schedule functions set and economy 7 tariff it’s costing me about 8p per KWh so no issues.
  • WiFi Dongle - Amazon does one (KuWifi 4G Dongle) that plugs into USB port and give wifi for the traffic updates etc. if you get a sim with some data on it. Phone tethering does not work very well and does not automatically log on.
  • Niggles - no particular order:
    • Charging port cover looks about as robust as wet paper bag - waiting for the plastic link to snap
    • Why is CarPlay wireless not enabled...
    • No auto-front radar activation at slow speed - Nissan had this - so have nearly driven into a couple of walls - can activate manually with button on centre console but given all the other nanny gadgets that are auto on this seems a bit daft
    • Lane warning - in country lanes this is super annoying - switch off
    • Lane maintain - a bit bossy also not brilliant on narrow road with potholes
Otherwise excellent experience and before I get a load of moans about lack of links etc I will try and fill these in as I sort out my extensive web history on this topic

Spent ages finding all this stuff. Also have played with most of it and tried to break stuff so know what works and what does not. Also fiddled with every knob, button and widget on most of the above until they work or go wrong.

Will update as things develop and feel free to post or PM me if you need any guidance. OVMS is good and if someone techy gets hold of it could open some active functionality which will be very good: for me, worked pretty much straight off (just follow the guide) with minimal fuss

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
422 Posts
That's about as comprehensive as it can get. Thx. I'll take a closer look when ours arrrives.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't forget to complain to Hyundai that this should exist out-of-the-showroom. Last time I talked to them they said I was the only one complaining about it !

But, yes, OVMS works fairly well but still need work for Kona/e-Niro - just be aware of the potential power drain issue ( Possible Kia e-Niro 12V drain · Issue #275 · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3 ) - same issue, I think seen on autopi.
To be honest I'd be happy if the key fob could initiate a "cabin warmup". I completely understand other people want more, but if they made the key fob do that (as I believe it does on Zoe's?) Then it would save going out on those cold winter mornings. You could simply go to the window point-and-click, then 10 minutes later it would be ready to actually go outside :).

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
72 Posts
That's about as comprehensive as it can get. Thx. I'll take a closer look when ours arrrives.
Andy, you are getting the 2020 model and this does have the Bluelink app that does allow you lock the car. or more usefully, check you have, to remotely switch on or schedule the heating/cooling, demist the front and/or back windows, monitor the charge status and schedule charging, It is slow and clunky as it goes off to some server somewhere and then back to the car but it works.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuckles. Nothing like an over-engineered project to bring out the best in folk. And no dangly bits here. But apologies if you were mildly irked

·
Registered
235 Posts
The EV Puzzle uploaded a video on You Tube yesterday about his EVOBD2 and it has attracted 35 comments to date.

Unable to provide link (Search The EV Puzzle).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts