Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the days are warming up does anyone else feel that the Air Con is at best mediocre and at worse non-existent? I've tried all options: EV arr con to normal instead of ECO, turning the set temp down and using recirculate. But it takes forever to cool down and the air con air is just not very cool. It's a Premium SE and done just over 6K miles.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
213 Posts
You don't say how old the car is, the A/C system may need a top up of refrigerant, most cars need this every so often.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Now the days are warming up does anyone else feel that the Air Con is at best mediocre and at worse non-existent? I've tried all options: EV arr con to normal instead of ECO, turning the set temp down and using recirculate. But it takes forever to cool down and the air con air is just not very cool. It's a Premium SE and done just over 6K miles.
not normal I’d say, even in 35c ambient it kept us cool and that was only in eco mode too, way better than our Audi’s AC.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also find Kona aircon better than any other car I used in the past.
However, it happened that HVAC fuse was blown in our Kona one day and there was no cooling/heating whatsoever. Annoyingly there was no alert at all on dash. If you remove any fuse next to steering wheel you will see a message on instrument cluster but not for HVAC big fuse.
Hyundai dealer sorted it out.

·
Registered
Kona 64
654 Posts
The aircon was fine when I went to the South of France June 2019. Their hottest June ever, over 40c and the aircon was very efficient and welcome.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The car defaults to eco-mode for climate control if the drive mode is set to eco. You can reconfigure this in the drive mode configuration section of the entertainment unit if you'd prefer full-fat climate control in all drive modes.

·
Registered
Kona 64
654 Posts
The car defaults to eco-mode for climate control if the drive mode is set to eco. You can reconfigure this in the drive mode configuration section of the entertainment unit if you'd prefer full-fat climate control in all drive modes.
I had forgotten this, but even in shade temperatures of 40c I found the air-con plenty good enough in eco mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sounds very much like lack of refrigerant to me. I had had to have it recharged twice in 18 months with your symptoms. First time was told by the dealer that sometimes they are underfilled to start with. The second time frustratingly they couldn't find a leak so I await hotter weather to see if it has gone again. Worked very well after each recharge so clearly that was the problem. This stuff is pretty expensive so not something you want to happen out of warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is interesting to me because I recently noticed that my aircon was not very effective and that there was a persistent hissing sound whenever it was active.

I took it to the dealers and they discovered that the condenser in the aircon system was actually leaking due to a manufacturing defect. My car is in the dealer right now having the condenser replaced under warranty. It might be worth booking it in for a checkup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts