Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the days are warming up does anyone else feel that the Air Con is at best mediocre and at worse non-existent? I've tried all options: EV arr con to normal instead of ECO, turning the set temp down and using recirculate. But it takes forever to cool down and the air con air is just not very cool. It's a Premium SE and done just over 6K miles.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Now the days are warming up does anyone else feel that the Air Con is at best mediocre and at worse non-existent? I've tried all options: EV arr con to normal instead of ECO, turning the set temp down and using recirculate. But it takes forever to cool down and the air con air is just not very cool. It's a Premium SE and done just over 6K miles.
not normal I’d say, even in 35c ambient it kept us cool and that was only in eco mode too, way better than our Audi’s AC.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I also find Kona aircon better than any other car I used in the past.
However, it happened that HVAC fuse was blown in our Kona one day and there was no cooling/heating whatsoever. Annoyingly there was no alert at all on dash. If you remove any fuse next to steering wheel you will see a message on instrument cluster but not for HVAC big fuse.
Hyundai dealer sorted it out.

·
Registered
Kona 64
878 Posts
The car defaults to eco-mode for climate control if the drive mode is set to eco. You can reconfigure this in the drive mode configuration section of the entertainment unit if you'd prefer full-fat climate control in all drive modes.
I had forgotten this, but even in shade temperatures of 40c I found the air-con plenty good enough in eco mode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds very much like lack of refrigerant to me. I had had to have it recharged twice in 18 months with your symptoms. First time was told by the dealer that sometimes they are underfilled to start with. The second time frustratingly they couldn't find a leak so I await hotter weather to see if it has gone again. Worked very well after each recharge so clearly that was the problem. This stuff is pretty expensive so not something you want to happen out of warranty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is interesting to me because I recently noticed that my aircon was not very effective and that there was a persistent hissing sound whenever it was active.

I took it to the dealers and they discovered that the condenser in the aircon system was actually leaking due to a manufacturing defect. My car is in the dealer right now having the condenser replaced under warranty. It might be worth booking it in for a checkup.

·
Registered
Kona Premium SE 64kwh 2019
13 Posts
Have exactly the same car and same issue. Did you get it sorted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have exactly the same car and same issue. Did you get it sorted?
Nope, whenever I go to the dealer it's cold so they never notice. They keep wanting to regas it, and charge £180 for the pleasure. I'm currently in Aosta Italy where the temperature is 34C. It's booked in for 31st May, and this time I've taken a video of the awful noise the compressor makes.

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
660 Posts
The AC in my 3 week old Kona is absolutely fine and chills the car down very quickly. Even though it doesnt have a heat pump the Kona HVAC is better than I had in my Leaf 40

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,804 Posts
I am finding that with all modern cars, TBH. Noticed it first in my (new) 2003 Fabia, so, since a long time ago!

I get the impression that AC systems are being sized to be able to maintain a cold environment once cold. So, cooling down from very hot takes aaaaages with newer smaller systems.

Not saying it is the same on your car, but that is my 'new' expectation. I presume they fit more powerful AC in other sales regions, or just don't sell in those regions (not many getting electric cars yet .... I can't say I am familiar with the EV sales record in Saudi/Gulf states, and can't imagine it's a big uptake!! North America cars get decently powerful systems.)

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Done 60k miles in 2019 Kona. The air conditioning was perfect until last year. Started making a noise and then stopped working. Had it re-gassed and was perfect again.

Has now stopped working again. Suspect its got a leak - in for its service on Monday - could be an expensive fix if not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line S AWD in Yacht Blue
485 Posts
Done 60k miles in 2019 Kona. The air conditioning was perfect until last year. Started making a noise and then stopped working. Had it re-gassed and was perfect again.

Has now stopped working again. Suspect its got a leak - in for its service on Monday - could be an expensive fix if not covered by warranty.
There's a TSB for that.

Mine required a new compressor body, but there are a number of possible causes.

John.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
There's a TSB for that.

Mine required a new compressor body, but there are a number of possible causes.

John.

That's really helpful thanks. They gave it a cursory examination, regassed it again, charged me for it again and gave it back. I've insisted they take it back in and carry out a proper investigation - will print out the TSB for them too. Don't see why I should pay twice fo a regas in one year when it's still under warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts