Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hmm, I’m thinking now that the car is failing to take advantage of the presence of the "ready" status, as though it was outside the scheduled start time or charge percent was already at or above the maximum setting.

After 2 days of failed attempts I drove over to the station after I wrote the above post and it worked first time.

I was going to try a T2 to T2 extension cable first, so provide a different set of contacts to the tethered cable plug, and also pressing the scheduled-charge time overrode button in the charge port in case it thinks it's outside the scheduled time (which is not set.)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Why are you trying to use the type 2 on a rapid charger when your car can use CCS and the CCS on the rapid is working?

Is the type 2 you need your own cable for nearby? It will be a lower powered chargepoint, similar to what a home chargepoint is, if you only need the slower charging. It is destination charging where you'd be expected to stay for a few hours.

As you've already said, your car can only charge at 7.4 kW on AC. It cannot go any faster, even on the higher powered type 2 on a rapid. You'll get minimal range added in the expected 30-45 minute dwell time at a rapid charger.

I would suggest you only use CCS on a rapid. Use a destination charger for slower charging. It's only a matter of time until an angry Zoe owner will arrive and get upset that you're "blocking" their rapid charger.

Only exception I can think of is if you get to a triple headed rapid and the CCS is broken, you don't have enough charge to get to the next chargepoint and there isn't a proper type 2 destination charger.

Alternatively, and more controversially, if you're queuing for the CCS you could in theory use the type 2 while you wait as long as you stay with the car and move as soon as a Zoe arrives or the CCS becomes available. But bear in mind there will be people who consider that a completely unacceptable use of rapid charging facilities.

Congratulations on getting your Kona, looks like a lovely car and I'm not remotely jealous of the range you'll be getting!

·
Registered
828 Posts
By the way, the point you made about needing to override the charging schedule will be true for any public Type 2 post you use.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Perhaps the unit was trying to discourage you from hogging a 43kW tethered AC charge point with a 7kW-capable vehicle. And as @Jayne said, did you not try the CCS first?

And an extension using a Type 2 cable will not work!! Anyway, male plug to male plug won't fit, even in these enlightened times.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,834 Posts
It's good to see BEV owners taking special efforts and investing in extension cables to block rapid chargers.

Maybe we can a new forum section for these questions? :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I should emphasise that the question was not about charger social behaviour or why I'm not using DC.

Prefer responses from those familiar with the J1772 protocol and can offer assistance specific to my question.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The question was not about charger social behaviour or why I'm not using DC.

Please only respond if you're familiar with the J1772 protocol and can offer assistance specific to my question.
I don't really understand what your complaint is. One specific AC charge point has difficulties charging your car but no others that you've tried do ? Does that not suggest the issue could be with that charge point ?

Just because you've seen another car - a Zoe, use it successfully doesn't prove the charge point doesn't have an issue, as temperamental chargers/charge points can often work with some cars and not others due to subtle differences in the way they communicate or draw power. (Just look at how temperamental CCS on Ecotricity is with some cars...) The Zoe of course is 22 or 43kW three phase AC which is a completely different load to the 7kW single phase of a Kona.

Furthermore this is the AC side of a triple head rapid that includes CCS that you could/should be using. And while you say this is not about you not using CCS and are getting irritated when people point out the obvious to you, I fail to see why you're getting hung up on why you're having difficulties with the AC outlet on a rapid that also includes CCS, and why you would have tested this so many times over such a long period ? Why did you even try it the first time I wonder ?

It's possible the AC output has been configured to refuse to charge any car that draws less than a certain amount of power or does not use 3 phase to avoid rapid hogging by 3.6kW PHEV's.

It may give the car a 60 second chance to start drawing more than the threshold power, if that doesn't happen it aborts the session. There is nothing in the J1772 protocol to allow a car to indicate its maximum capable charging rate to the charge point, so the only way this could be implemented would be for the charge point to give the car a period of time to charge including some ramp up time, measure the charge rate, and then forcibly terminate the session if the car doesn't meet the minimum charge speed requirement.

Given the prevalence of PHEV hogging of the AC output on rapid chargers it was only a matter of time before something like this was implemented so if I had to throw out a wild guess I would say the charger may be deliberately terminating AC sessions that don't reach a minimum charge speed within a certain period of time.

I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your car (especially on the AC charging side - unless you've forgotten to turn the charge timer off) so you're best to direct your queries to the charging provider, although I suspect their response will just be "why aren't you using the CCS outlet ?".

If you're concerned about a problem with the car I'd give a few other regular 7/11/22kW Level 2 charge points a try with your own cable - if they all work fine I would stop worrying and over analysing. Honestly.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I should emphasise that the question was not about charger social behaviour or why I'm not using DC.

Prefer responses from those familiar with the J1772 protocol and can offer assistance specific to my question.

Thank you
You sounded like a new EV user who understood the technical side of stuff (naively assuming perhaps you're some sort of electrical engineer who doesn't work in the EV charging), but who hadn't had the opportunity to learn about chargepoint etiquette or the practicalities of things like delayed charge.

I thought that was something I could help with, and hoped I would answer you (relatively?) politely before someone else savaged you for being a charge hogger or blocker for what appeared to be a simple misunderstanding.

It seems it was actually me who misunderstood. Perhaps the technical aspect of your final question, which is now in bold, should have alerted me.

Apologies for trying to help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No apology required, your post was perfectly fine. It was the two other judgemental posts that annoyed me, now on the ignore list. I had mistakenly assumed this was a technical category. Charging etiquette is entirely my business, especially as I'm the only person who uses this AC charger, aside from a Zoe once in blue moon when they don't use the free one two blocks away.

Problem now seems to be resolved, thanks for your posts, Jayne.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
No apology required, your post was perfectly fine. It was the two other judgemental posts that annoyed me, now on the ignore list. I had mistakenly assumed this was a technical category. Charging etiquette is entirely my business, especially as I'm the only person who uses this AC charger, aside from a Zoe once in blue moon when they don't use the free one two blocks away.
You'll get far in life... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts