Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member, currently researching my next purchase.

Up until now I've had a fun car and a commuter. I've sold the fun car and want something interesting to replace my soul destroying (albeit highly competent) Golf commuter.

I'm tempted by the Golf GTE, perhaps not as economical as my diesel for my use pattern but far more interesting and potentially fun. However I've now realised full EV cars are an option for my use pattern.

I have a 160 mile commute but only do it one direction in any given day, 30k+ miles annually.

I've driven a couple of 64KWh models and really liked them. I've tried to drive a 62KWh Leaf but only managed to try the 40KWh model and preferred the Kona.

I'd be interested and grateful for any thoughts you may have that I have perhaps overlooked.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
959 Posts
The distance is no problem as the 64kWh Kona will do a realistic 200+ miles in winter. As for the overall mileage, there’s a chap running a Niro as a taxi, 50k miles so far and no battery degradation or any other concerns. They’re not entirely the same car but close enough. I’d say it would be perfectly competent for your needs. Whether it ticks the interesting box only you can decide.

It would probably be sensible to check out the id3. The larger battery model will provide the range you need.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I certainly find the vehicle interesting, it would be the first EV I've owned and has all kinds of geeky gadgets which really appeals to me. Perhaps not a fun drive in the traditional sense though.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
We have done 40k trouble free miles and it is still as tight and rattle free as the day we bought it. It is an incredibly well made and designed car and so much more comfortable than our previous Leaf.

Ours spends its days hammering up and down the motorways. My wife does 200 mile round trips twice a week and never has any range anxiety even in the depths of winter with heating on high and little attempt to drive economically. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We got a Kona in March 2020. My daughter then decided to go to Uni 160 miles away in Exeter - so we've done exactly that distance lots. It makes it easily with around 30% capacity left on arrival. In colder temperature, we arrive with 50 to 60 miles range left. We then drive back about 20 miles, stop at a very picturesque fast charger for 20-30 minutes until it shows 160 miles range, then head back.
The only glitch I ever had in this plan was when I missed a turning and ended up on a much longer motorway route and no idea where there were chargers - fortunately the first place I stopped had tons!

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
As with any car, it would be wrong to say that no one has had any trouble with the Kona. Stageshoot and others had problems with software updates that changed the charging profiles. Sometimes the software updates have been incomplete causing other problems. There have been a few recalls. Some dealers are good and some clueless.

Overall though, judging by this forum, the car seems to have met or surpassed most owners‘ expectations. For us, as early adopters of EV tech (having bought our first Prius in 2002 and an Ampera in 2013), it’s by far the most impressive car we have ever owned and we haven’t seen anything that could replace it yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have a couple of Konas and a Niro. Like others here our regular long trips are to deliver children to Uni. The round trips were ~230 miles at about 60mph. Sometimes we got home nearing empty but we always made it. The Niro was always the first choice. It was slightly quieter and was a bit more civilised than the Kona. I preferred the internal layout of the Niro (not having something that looked like an iPad nailed to the dashboard) but missed the pseudo HUD of the Kona. My wife preferred her Kona, finding it easier to park. My only pointer would be to avoid the 11kW OBC versions, their marginal improvement in charge rates are far outweighed by the issues they cause.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The Kona has the best range for the price at the moment and it has plenty of gadgets to keep you entertained. If you have never owned an EV before, be sure to get the Zap-Map and Better Route Planner apps on your phone, they can be a life saver when you miss a turning and need a charge. Also, Zap-Map can filter the chargers so it only shows those which use contactless payment rather than apps and RFID tags.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
229 Posts
I bought the Kona via my company specifically because of the range. It's clocked up 41K miles now in 18 months and never let me down. Drives of more than 200 miles need a bit of planning (most I've driven is 220 before charging and lowest range remaining being 17 miles), but it's ability to eat miles is impressive. I use Polar (when they work), Instavolt and Shell re-charge options mainly, relying on 7kW posts for overnight where possible.

I have test driven the ID3 and the Polestar 2 recently for comparison. I found the ID3 was good but without being exceptional. The P2 was a blast but there have been some teething issues with early cars and the range is disappointing. It points out to me just how good the Kona is, that some of the 'toys' have raised my expectations for any replacement eg: heated and cooled leather seats, head-up display etc...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I bought the Kona via my company specifically because of the range. It's clocked up 41K miles now in 18 months and never let me down. Drives of more than 200 miles need a bit of planning (most I've driven is 220 before charging and lowest range remaining being 17 miles),
200 miles should be no problem at all, even in winter, assuming we're talking about the 64kWh version

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Have you decided to go fr the Kona then?

Certainly leaning that way. I really like the GTE as a car but there are a lot more potential issues with it than the Kona. Although the lockdown and delay in opportunities to test drive and purchase are given me plenty of time to think round in circles (including Mercedes A250e and Nissan Leaf).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One question I do have, is the newer infotainment system much better than the old one (buttons on either side Vs along the bottom)

·
Registered
155 Posts
One question I do have, is the newer infotainment system much better than the old one (buttons on either side Vs along the bottom)
The display is bigger and sharper, and layout better, but not a deal breaker IMO. We have a trip to Spain, Germany and three to Portugal (from the French Pyrenees) under our belt it’s been a joy. Getting the updates done can be a lottery dealership wise, about to do that all again in Portugal, so wish us luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The display is bigger and sharper, and layout better, but not a deal breaker IMO. We have a trip to Spain, Germany and three to Portugal (from the French Pyrenees) under our belt it’s been a joy. Getting the updates done can be a lottery dealership wise, about to do that all again in Portugal, so wish us luck!

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
The one thing I would like on my Kona that you get on the new one is Bluelink and specifically the ability to pre-condition remotely. You can do it on the older one via cumbersome timers in the car but you have to be in the car with it switched on to adjust. If your time of departure changes on the day its tough.

You could do it from the key fob in our Ampera or an app in our Leaf so definitely miss that. Not worth getting a new car just for that though.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
A BIT of a curveball for you here but have you considered a used Volvo V60 diesel PHEV? Will eat up the miles on those motorway trips and is very quick. Seats are the comfiest i've experienced, although the centre console is now a bit dated. The new version comes as a petrol PHEV.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts