Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lifted off the plastic 'engine' cover under the bonnet and swapped it for the polystyrene inset in the wheel well in the boot and it fits exactly!! The bonnet only just latchs shut. Leaves the wheel well for a load of cables and other junk as well. :)

I have left the upper tray in the boot but its not needed now so will remove it when or if I need to lower the boot floor.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
Interesting but a potential safety issue. Two actually.

1. The bonnet is most likely designed to cushion the blow when some unlucky pedestrian's head hits it. A few cars have explosive bolts to raise it in the event of a crash, but most just have soft materials and a void underneath that it can flex into. If you pot something in that area it could cause serious injury to pedestrians.

2. Have you checked how hot that area gets? That stuff doesn't usually react well to high temperatures.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Interesting but a potential safety issue. Two actually.

1. The bonnet is most likely designed to cushion the blow when some unlucky pedestrian's head hits it. A few cars have explosive bolts to raise it in the event of a crash, but most just have soft materials and a void underneath that it can flex into. If you pot something in that area it could cause serious injury to pedestrians.

2. Have you checked how hot that area gets? That stuff doesn't usually react well to high temperatures.
So you’re saying I can’t fill the Frunk in my Tesla full of bowling balls in case I might hit someone?

Never mentioned that in the manual.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Excellent use of space. I do wish manufacturers stop assembling EV like an ICE and make that space usable. Even if it's not weatherproofed, just a small box is better than nothing (i3).

You probably do need to wrap everything going in the bonnet though, it gets pretty dirty because it's not airtight and dirt/rain can get up there while driving. (eg. see under the bonnet of my Leaf)

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
So you’re saying I can’t fill the Frunk in my Tesla full of bowling balls in case I might hit someone?

Never mentioned that in the manual.
Presumably they designed it so that it's safe. Or maybe not, maybe if you overfill it people's skulls will get cracked.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any pictures of it lifted off? Before you put the stuff in there?
It did just lift off yes. Theres a handle at the back of it you just lift the handle and 2 little poppers at the front of it release. Very easy to put back when you want too.

Will post a pic of the space available with it off later if I get time.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Or that a ventilation space above electrical hardware dealing with inputs of 70kW and outputs of 150kW is a good idea.
Tell that to the Model 3 designers.

Bear in mind that the body is shared with the ICE version, so there’s little effort in packaging to keep the cost down.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Tell that to the Model 3 designers.
Isn't the charging/inverter gubbins close to the drive unit on Teslas? Also the front motor in D models is liquid cooled so less of a worry for the frunk.

Anyhoos, sticking a big polystyrene block above an inverter that can handle 70kw (and thus probably can leak >3kW of heat at full whack) isn't necessarily a good idea.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts