Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Style 64kwh
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relocated to Spain a little while back and picked up an ex-demo 64kwh Kona Style which I’m assuming is near or at the top of the range in Spain as it comes with heated/cooled seats, steering wheel etc. So I’m a newbie to EVs and was wondering what leads should come with the car? This one came only with the granny charge lead for a domestic socket. Should it come with a type 2 lead too? Also, how do I tell if it’s had the BMS update applied. Finally, if you have any tips on using/charging etc in Spain by all means share please. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can only speak in respect of UK supplied car, but my Kona came in August this year with a Type 2 lead of approx. 5 meters length (but I haven`t measured it!) and the granny charger.
I managed with the granny charger for a month or so before installing an 11Kw Zappy charging point at work right in front of where I can park.
This meant that the type 2 lead was always lying curled up on the floor whilst charging, getting filthy and potentially damaged. So I bought a new 2 metre lead which stays just inside the door here at work and the long lead stays in the car "just in case" but I have only needed to get it out of the Hyundai logo`d bag once since. The short lead just loops between charger and car, not touching the floor. The worst case, now, is it gets wet!
Can`t help you with the BMS situation.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Relocated to Spain a little while back and picked up an ex-demo 64kwh Kona Style which I’m assuming is near or at the top of the range in Spain as it comes with heated/cooled seats, steering wheel etc. So I’m a newbie to EVs and was wondering what leads should come with the car? This one came only with the granny charge lead for a domestic socket. Should it come with a type 2 lead too? Also, how do I tell if it’s had the BMS update applied. Finally, if you have any tips on using/charging etc in Spain by all means share please. Thanks in advance.
I would expect to get the type 2 lead with any EV, although that may vary from country to country. Definitely worth contacting Hyundai about that. The BMS update will have been completed succesfully if the battery saver option is missing from the options menu. For charging, A Better Route Planner app and website will show you were the chargers are and give you an optimal journey from A to B.

Oh, and congratulations on getting your Kona. You are going to love it.

·
Registered
Kona 64
603 Posts
Check the cars specs on the Spanish Hyundai website, that will tell you what cable/cables come with the car. The features you have confirm it is top spec. Presume as it is an ex demo that it is a 7.2kW model and not with the latest 3 phase AC charger? Otherwise not up to speed with specs as I have a UK spec 2018.

I would consider it essential to supply the type2 cable for any market, so surprised there isn't one . It is the granny cable which is not always supplied.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Style 64kwh
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would expect to get the type 2 lead with any EV, although that may vary from country to country. Definitely worth contacting Hyundai about that. The BMS update will have been completed succesfully if the battery saver option is missing from the options menu. For charging, A Better Route Planner app and website will show you were the chargers are and give you an optimal journey from A to B.

Oh, and congratulations on getting your Kona. You are going to love it.

Cheers for that.
Already loving the car. We live at the foot of the Montgo so the climb up to the house is quite steep. But it just glides up the inclines almost effortlessly and good for some regen on the way back down. I’ll check our the Type 2 lead situation.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Style 64kwh
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the cars specs on the Spanish Hyundai website, that will tell you what cable/cables come with the car. The features you have confirm it is top spec. Presume as it is an ex demo that it is a 7.2kW model and not with the latest 3 phase AC charger? Otherwise not up to speed with specs as I have a UK spec 2018.

I would consider it essential to supply the type2 cable for any market, so surprised there isn't one . It is the granny cable which is not always supplied.
Ah that’s interesting, I didn’t know there was a 3 phase AC option being added? Not sure how to check if that’s present? Will definitely check on the type 2 lead though thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Style is the most equipped version in Spain. Here, Hyundai doesn't give us a type 2 cable. You must buy it.
use electromaps to find the chargers.
each brand has its own app.
I attach a fare list for you.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Style 64kwh
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you that’s very helpful.
I’ve used Iberdrola so far and found their chargers quick and easy to use.

·
Registered
Kona 64
603 Posts
Ah that’s interesting, I didn’t know there was a 3 phase AC option being added? Not sure how to check if that’s present? Will definitely check on the type 2 lead though thanks.
Probably not 3 phase on yours, someone on here with the latest 3 phase AC charger can advise, the pins in the charging port look different. I think it is more likely on a Czech made example rather than a Korean one. They only make LHD drive in the Czech republic. Where was yours made? But you need to know in case you get the wrong type2 cable.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Style 64kwh
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a LHD model but not sure where it was made? Is it possible to tell from the charge port pin layout?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts