Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Our driving "score" was only a 65, but this little car keeps on giving.The Grade stated that we were very good with Speed Responsibility and Driving Consistency, got a RED light with Total Driving Hours, yellow light with Smooth Driving and Driving Time of Day. I would have thought Smooth Driving would have been green though, so we need to watch out for that.

Still gives us a ton of available miles on a charge though, we drive most of our miles on secondary rounds.

Love this car!

David

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
View attachment 162333
Our driving "score" was only a 65, but this little car keeps on giving.The Grade stated that we were very good with Speed Responsibility and Driving Consistency, got a RED light with Total Driving Hours, yellow light with Smooth Driving and Driving Time of Day. I would have thought Smooth Driving would have been green though, so we need to watch out for that.

Still gives us a ton of available miles on a charge though, we drive most of our miles on secondary rounds.

Love this car!

David
Hi there. glad you are enjoying your Kona. I've had mine 2 years now and it still puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
195 Posts
What app is this? It's different from the Bluelink App in the UK.
Your range is great. I've got 300 miles from a charge a few times and theoretically could get 330-340 miles if I'm especially frugal.
I was thinking the same, that’s different and has the new shape Kona picture! (Mine still displays the old one despite being the updated front).

Good going! I find 300 is about right, did 259 the other day and had 28%/81 miles showing left, so I’m comfortable this is a 300 mile car, but I’d prob not go much further as it’s a nice reserve 😅

Essentially, in nice weather, bang it on the motorway at 65 it’ll crush the miles!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was thinking the same, that’s different and has the new shape Kona picture! (Mine still displays the old one despite being the updated front).

Good going! I find 300 is about right, did 259 the other day and had 28%/81 miles showing left, so I’m comfortable this is a 300 mile car, but I’d prob not go much further as it’s a nice reserve 😅

Essentially, in nice weather, bang it on the motorway at 65 it’ll crush the miles!
I normally sit at an indicated 60MPH (actual GPS speed is 57MPH) and if I'm doing a long distance I normally do 50MPH on country lanes instead of 60.
I also find even on it's slowest speed setting the cruise control accelerates quite quickly and the power meter swings round, now I accelerate slowly upto speed and then set the cruise.
All these little things have added up to a much bigger range than I was getting before, even whilst still using the air con ☺
My journeys might be a couple of minutes longer but I arrive more relaxed and I've used a lot less of my expensive, precious electricity 😅

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What app is this? It's different from the Bluelink App in the UK.
Your range is great. I've got 300 miles from a charge a few times and theoretically could get 330-340 miles if I'm especially frugal.
Bluelink App in the US, I guess is a bit different.

The Range has been great we love the car, my wife drives it most of the time, she's in love with it.
She doesn't want to use the Civic at all, so that one is mine. Fortunately we only need to gas
up the Civic once a month.

David

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a petrol manual Astra TwinTop convertible as a second car because I can't tow my caravan with my Kona. I adore my Kona, the acceleration, amazing kit etc but nothing comes close to driving a convertible with the roof down. I also still enjoy thrashing the variable valve timing and rowing through the gears.
I'm just waiting for an EV convertible (just one that's not mega money!)

·
Registered
eNiro 4, (Niro EV 4 HP on order)
1,350 Posts
I have a petrol manual Astra TwinTop convertible as a second car because I can't tow my caravan with my Kona. I adore my Kona, the acceleration, amazing kit etc but nothing comes close to driving a convertible with the roof down. I also still enjoy thrashing the variable valve timing and rowing through the gears.
I'm just waiting for an EV convertible (just one that's not mega money!)
Small(ish) caravan?

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
195 Posts
I normally sit at an indicated 60MPH (actual GPS speed is 57MPH) and if I'm doing a long distance I normally do 50MPH on country lanes instead of 60.
I also find even on it's slowest speed setting the cruise control accelerates quite quickly and the power meter swings round, now I accelerate slowly upto speed and then set the cruise.
All these little things have added up to a much bigger range than I was getting before, even whilst still using the air con ☺
My journeys might be a couple of minutes longer but I arrive more relaxed and I've used a lot less of my expensive, precious electricity 😅
Gotta agree compared to previous cars having electric and being aware of the difference small things make to the range I drive so differently! It’s a far more relaxing drive because you have all the power but don’t need to use it, Happy to just cruise along.

Don’t think I can get away with 56Mph with the Mrs in the car though, she already questioned why we weren’t doing the speed limit in the early days 😅 bit of education put her on the right path but I think 65 (on the car reporting, touch less in real life) on the motorway is the sweet spot for range vs her sanity 🤣

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Astra can tow 1.2 tons, my caravan is about 1 ton and it tows fine. Drinks fuel and I have to rag it on inclines and keep it in sport mode (1.8VVT with 140BHP, car weighs about 1.5 tons) Quite stable though even towing with the roof down.
I could theoretically tow it with the Kona and a tow bar is about £600-£700. There's a blog of a bloke towing near enough a ton with his Kona without issues. However it grieves me to pay £700 for a towbar when the Astra was only £900. And it's not strictly legal either.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Gotta agree compared to previous cars having electric and being aware of the difference small things make to the range I drive so differently! It’s a far more relaxing drive because you have all the power but don’t need to use it, Happy to just cruise along.

Don’t think I can get away with 56Mph with the Mrs in the car though, she already questioned why we weren’t doing the speed limit in the early days 😅 bit of education put her on the right path but I think 65 (on the car reporting, touch less in real life) on the motorway is the sweet spot for range vs her sanity 🤣
I went to Barmouth today and cruised along the mountain roads at 50MPH. Nothing comes close to an EV for tackling inclines and overtakes are much safer as they're done in the blink of an eye!
I drive slowly and smoothly UNLESS there's a tailgater (love seeing their faces when I drop kick them) or a chav at the lights that needs teaching a lesson 😂
I've also debadged the car and don't have green number plates so only those in the know know what I'm driving. I love how much it surprises the above people in those situations, it's the perfect sleeper car.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Let us drive at the speed limit of 70mph on motorways without worrying too much about efficiency to convince more people to switch to EVs. We otherwise create a false impression that EVs aren't quick or cannot go from A to B on time.
To be honest @prabhu, I don’t want too many folks to switch to EV’s until there are a lot more chargers. More and more chargers seem to be in regular use, and worrying about whether you will find a vacant slot does nothing to help my range anxiety!!

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
731 Posts
We've had our kona since March 2020, driven 36k miles and only been seriously let down once at public chargers, that was in Corfe Mullen. Currently in Northern Spain and haven't had a problem once here.

BTW I don't count pulling into a service area and finding it busy and just waiting. I always drive to next service area and often found no-one there, plug in and smile.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,127 Posts
To be honest @prabhu, I don’t want too many folks to switch to EV’s until there are a lot more chargers. More and more chargers seem to be in regular use, and worrying about whether you will find a vacant slot does nothing to help my range anxiety!!
So you want less GPs since many people would start using them when they get sick?

·
Registered
621 Posts
We've had our kona since March 2020, driven 36k miles and only been seriously let down once at public chargers, that was in Corfe Mullen. Currently in Northern Spain and haven't had a problem once here.

BTW I don't count pulling into a service area and finding it busy and just waiting. I always drive to next service area and often found no-one there, plug in and smile.
If you do have to charge and the chargers are all occupied, what is the etiquette for queuing and making sure you get your turn at the chargers at the right time?

I am conscious that the layout of car parks at Motorway Service areas doesn’t make the concept of queuing very easy (esp if the parking spaces in the vicinity of the chargers are full).

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,000 Posts
Let us drive at the speed limit of 70mph on motorways without worrying too much about efficiency to convince more people to switch to EVs. We otherwise create a false impression that EVs aren't quick or cannot go from A to B on time.
I always used to drive my Volvo V40 Diesel at 65 on the motorway as it was way more efficient than driving it at 70, I do the same with my EVs as its about economy for me not what others may thing.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,127 Posts
I always used to drive my Volvo V40 Diesel at 65 on the motorway as it was way more efficient than driving it at 70, I do the same with my EVs as its about economy for me not what others may thing.
What about not using HVAC since it might reduce the range a tiny bit? Public seems to be convinced that EV owners use AC and heating sparingly.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,000 Posts
What about not using HVAC since it might reduce the range a tiny bit? Public seems to be convinced that EV owners use AC and heating sparingly.
Warm Wife Happy Life... Learnt tat a long while ago after making her drive 10s of Thousands of miles in a BMW i3 with no Heat Pumps.. HVAC makes so little difference (Even with no heat pump), its not worth thinking about. mine is Set to Auto A/C and Heat 19c. all year supplemented by Heated seats if she starts to get grumpy.. ;-)

Dropping from 70 to 65 seems to save me about 15-18% Energy use
Dropping from 19c to Cold saves me 5% but gains me terrible earache

·
Registered
621 Posts
So you want less GPs since many people would start using them when they get sick?
Don’t get me started on GPs @prabhu, you wouldn’t like the person I turn into……….

Suffice it to say if you are sick it virtually impossible to see a GP anyway (at least where I live).

Which does nothing to address your analogy, but you can see what happens to me when GPs are mentioned😡👿

Reactions: prabhu
1 - 20 of 22 Posts