Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I don’t know much about Hyundai’s,
I don’t think the Ionic has an app(?),
Will the Kona have one? (this will probably be more guess work...)
Do/will they have the function to set a timer to charger or precondition the cabin?

·
Registered
761 Posts
The Ioniq doesn't have an app. It has a charge timer which can also defrost and warms the cabin if you set it. It also lets you set off-peak electricity times.
I have read that the Kona will let you charge to a set percentage, I do this on the Ioniq (and Leaf) by setting departure time later than I actually need it. We'll keep the car for a while so I'm avoiding 100% charging every day.
The air-con is very powerful so I haven't missed the app (I have an app on my Leaf, only ever used it to pre-cool before driving home on the hottest days).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SCanfer, despite no app, that's good to know: timers & powerful air-con

From what i read, the app that may be used with the Kona will only have information:
distance travelled, efficiency, tyre pressure, parked location etc.
This is a bit of a shame, I think preconditioning is a great remote feature, as well as remote charge start/stop, unlock...
Still not necessarily a deal breaker

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
It was one aspect that put me off the IONIQ. After many years of no telematics in Ampera, I wanted a BEV where I could check it was still charging, particularly when on 7kW charger.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It was one aspect that put me off the IONIQ. After many years of no telematics in Ampera, I wanted a BEV where I could check it was still charging, particularly when on 7kW charger.
I decided to take efficiency and fast charging (Ioniq) over an app (Leaf) and I've not been disappointed! I can see charging online when I charge at home anyhow.

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
I decided to take efficiency and fast charging (Ioniq) over an app (Leaf) and I've not been disappointed! I can see charging online when I charge at home anyhow.
Sure, when we had B250e we had two incidents where it didn't charge and caused hassle. OH was not impressed, so I need to be able to check with Zoe, especially at friends and family when on granny.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait....the Kona doesn't allow you to pre-heat the car via an app....?
That’s right, no app or remote connectivity at all!!!
Quite a shocker, but you can set a timer to precondition (but I think it has to be plugged in/charging)
Of course this also means, you can’t tell how the charging is going

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Wait....the Kona doesn't allow you to pre-heat the car via an app....?
It does seem ridiculous given the price of the car and the fact I could do this via a button on my Ampera’s key fob 6 years ago. No doubt we will now have the coldest winter since records began.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
That’s right, no app or remote connectivity at all!!!
Quite a shocker, but you can set a timer to precondition (but I think it has to be plugged in/charging)
Of course this also means, you can’t tell how the charging is going
I'm not bothered about checking the charge.
I am bothered about being able to pre-heat and defrost the car in winter 15 mins before I leave, to my schedule rather than a set one.
That's a real bummer.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am considering an IONIQ and this is one of the thing's that's making me hold back on one. I have a Kia Soul already and I know how good the timer is. But in winter as I have no workplace charging available to me. I would love to be able too Pre-heat the car 15 mins before leaving work, so the car not only is nice and warm but also safer to drive as its been de-frosted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts