Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I went to a dealer to buy a Kona Premium SE and was shocked to find out that its list price puts it in the Luxury car tax bracket . I am now looking for a second hand Premium SE that will not attract this tax . Can anyone tell me what age i will have to look for , ie, 18 ,68 ,19 reg. I rang a garage today enquiring about a Kona with 69 plate and they had to ring me back to to tell it did attract the £320 tax from year 2 onwards.
Thanks
David

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi I went to a dealer to buy a Kona Premium SE and was shocked to find out that its list price puts it in the Luxury car tax bracket . I am now looking for a second hand Premium SE that will not attract this tax . Can anyone tell me what age i will have to look for , ie, 18 ,68 ,19 reg. I rang a garage today enquiring about a Kona with 69 plate and they had to ring me back to to tell it did attract the £320 tax from year 2 onwards.
Thanks
David
It's 5 years I'm afraid. Had the same problem with the Tesla Model 3 SR+. I've ordered the base Premium Kona as it comes in at £38,000 before incentives.
Alan.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks
David
68, 19, and most of the 69 plates (model year 2019) Kona PSE are not liable for the £320 Luxury VED. Some later 69 plates (model year 2020) fall into the LVED bracket.

John

Reactions: arao99

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clearly not the new one.
We did sit in the New ZE 50 and I agree it does look alot better than the old model , I did enjoy the drive in the Zoe but it was not on par with EGolf . we could not drive the new ZE50 .

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is the wording from the GOV.UK website.

"Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £320 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.
You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)."

It doesn't mention buying a car secondhand within that 5 year period. Is the tax transferable like road tax is?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
We did sit in the New ZE 50 and I agree it does look alot better than the old model , I did enjoy the drive in the Zoe but it was not on par with EGolf . we could not drive the new ZE50 .
It’s worth a test drive when you can get one. Totally different to the ‘current’ Zoe and like a Kona with £15k left on the back seat. ;)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This is the wording from the GOV.UK website.

"Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £320 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.
You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)."

It doesn't mention buying a car secondhand within that 5 year period. Is the tax transferable like road tax is?
Yes, tax payable who ever owns it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I woul
68, 19, and most of the 69 plates (model year 2019) Kona PSE are not liable for the £320 Luxury VED. Some later 69 plates (model year 2020) fall into the LVED bracket.

John
Only if the original list price of the 68, 19, and most of the 69 plates were below £40,000. Otherwise the tax has to be paid for 5 years according to the GOV.UK website.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Is the tax transferable like road tax is?
It is road tax, and road tax is not transferable.

Only if the original list price of the 68, 19, and most of the 69 plates were below £40,000. Otherwise the tax has to be paid for 5 years according to the GOV.UK website.
The (slightly improved) 2020 Premium SE is the only Kona EV that has a list price over £40k. It's catching a good few people out it seems.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It is road tax, and road tax is not transferable.
It is in the UK. It follows the vehicle. When you become the registered owner, you become liable for paying any tax. Fortunately at the moment, EV's under £40,000 are exempt from payment.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
It is in the UK. It follows the vehicle. When you become the registered owner, you become liable for paying any tax. Fortunately at the moment, EV's under £40,000 are exempt from payment.
Well, you have to pay the road fund every year. However the price is £0.

If you don't go through the process of paying £0 every year to the DVLA, they will crush your car. Or fine you. Or both.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, you have to pay the road fund every year. However the price is £0.

If you don't go through the process of paying £0 every year to the DVLA, they will crush your car. Or fine you. Or both.
Yeah. I did say exempt from payment, meaning you pay £0, not exempt from the responsibility of registering for the duty. Should have made that clearer. Sorry.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Yeah. I did say exempt from payment, meaning you pay £0, not exempt from the responsibility of registering for the duty. Should have made that clearer. Sorry.
Yeah - sorry to be a pedant.

Silly you have to go through the process each year. But it can catch a lot of people out.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
When you become the registered owner, you become liable for paying any tax
Sorry, I misunderstood your original comment. I thought you meant that any payment made for the year would (or could) go with the vehicle (which stopped a few years ago of course).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thankfully they've made it easy by being able to do it on line.
Even easier than that - you can set up a direct debit to pay your £0.00, and DVLA will send you an email when it's due to say they will be collecting £0.00 from your account!

John.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts