Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well out of the blue we got a letter from Hyundai..

Basically. Our car will be off the road now for 6 months or more, they wont confirm or even offer any estimate of time.. Its been 6 weeks now already

While we are currently using one of their loan Konas they are pushing for that to end.

They have put a firm final offer to us of £26900 (£4100 less than we paid for it 5 months ago)

This is despite the WBAC Offer for it being £28255 and Motorway being £28320+

Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

We are being left with these options.

1: Take our offer of £26900 give us back our loan car and go away
2: Refuse our offer return the loan car and take it to court.

We have returned that we are not happy with those solutions and want to stay in the loan car until ours is fixed, they are talking to their legal dept and will get back to us, but they seem to feel they have made a fair offer and if we dont accept it tough see you in court.

I am sure that if we take it to court with the Screenshots from WBAC and The fact to get back into a similar age and milage car to what we had will cost us at least £5k over what they have offered will be an easy win, but that of course leaves us out of pocket for many months, and probably have to go back to ICE as cant afford to throw another £30k at another EV while we sort this out.

What I think we can 100% say from this is that our love for Hyundai is well and truly over. (As a company that is), Still think the Kona is a brilliant EV but cannot afford to throw loads of money at a car and worry if this happens again we will be massively out of pocket again. Its the misdirection and lies from Head Office this time that really dissapointed the offers to find cars to upgrade us to, when never happened the cant be bothered and having to case for any scrap of info.

SO the best outcome from this will be if we persude them to let us stay in the loan car for 6 months (We will then sue them for the depreciation in our car from what its worth now till then. Bearing in mind we could have sold it now for £29k easily (Probably £30k and a bit privately) but beign. fair the WBAC and Motoway offers), so there it ends for now,

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
how many miles did you put on the loaner? I'd say something like 40p per mile is fair for your "use" of it, how does it look if you add that cost on top of their offer?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how many miles did you put on the loaner? I'd say something like 40p per mile is fair for your "use" of it, how does it look if you add that cost on top of their offer?
We are doing the same in the loaner as we do in our own car about 1000 a week, We were told its not an issue use the loan car as you would your own, 40p mile thats crazy our lifetime costs on EV have been below 10p a mile.

Would expect any mileage consideration to be like excess mileage on a lease so about 10p a mile

Buy=t personally dont see why this should factor

They sold a product, the product failed, they have a backlog to repair it they should leave you in the same situation as if you had the product.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,740 Posts
How about you say ' this offer is clearly insufficient but we'll take it under duress now but we're going to claim off you for the difference for our consequential losses due to you supplying a faulty car and refusing to repair it within a resonable time or without inconveniencing us significantly' This way you can buy another EV but you don't let hyundai get away with their low offer.

It gets you out of the current stale mate and gives you enough money to get something else.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So they’re arguing over £1,300 worth of valuation on your current car?

Interesting that in either case they want you to just go away and never buy a Hyundai again.

In unrelated news we signed up for an Ioniq 5 this week. :)
Glad to hear, am sure you will love the Ioniq5

Yep they have no movement, and keep telling us this is a massive favor and well over its real value despite the SAC screenshots etc

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about you say ' this offer is clearly insufficient but we'll take it under duress now but we're going to claim off you for the difference for our consequential losses due to you supplying a faulty car and refusing to repair it within a resonable time or without inconveniencing us significantly' This way you can buy another EV but you don't let hyundai get away with their low offer.

It gets you out of the current stale mate and gives you enough money to get something else.
Yeah, may work our legal advice was not to do that as despite the clear duress it puts you on the back foot, not sure why but they felt we need to not accept

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So they’re arguing over £1,300 worth of valuation on your current car?

Interesting that in either case they want you to just go away and never buy a Hyundai again.

In unrelated news we signed up for an Ioniq 5 this week. :)
Yes I get the feeling its a fairly much a bugger off dont buy another.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

Basically. Our car will be off the road now for 6 months or more, they wont confirm or even offer any estimate of time.. Its been 6 weeks now already

While we are currently using one of their loan Konas they are pushing for that to end.

They have put a firm final offer to us of £26900 (£4100 less than we paid for it 5 months ago)

View attachment 150632

We have returned that we are not happy with those solutions and want to stay in the loan car until ours is fixed, they are talking to their legal dept and will get back to us, but they seem to feel they have made a fair offer and if we dont accept it tough see you in court.

I am sure that if we take it to court with the Screenshots from WBAC and The fact to get back into a similar age and milage car to what we had will cost us at least £5k over what they have offered will be an easy win, but that of course leaves us out of pocket for many months, and probably have to go back to ICE as cant afford to throw another £30k at another EV while we sort this out.

What I think we can 100% say from this is that our love for Hyundai is well and truly over. (As a company that is), Still think the Kona is a brilliant EV but cannot afford to throw loads of money at a car and worry if this happens again we will be massively out of pocket again. Its the misdirection and lies from Head Office this time that really dissapointed the offers to find cars to upgrade us to, when never happened the cant be bothered and having to case for any scrap of info.

SO the best outcome from this will be if we persude them to let us stay in the loan car for 6 months (We will then sue them for the depreciation in our car from what its worth now till then. Bearing in mind we could have sold it now for £29k easily (Probably £30k and a bit privately) but beign. fair the WBAC and Motoway offers), so there it ends for now,
Whilst you will get plenty of opinions on here I really think you need to get some proper legal advice. Citizens Advice have useful guidance and templates for some legal complaints. The SMMT also have a role but in my experience they favour the car manufacturers over the owners.

IANAL but I would be surprised if they would ever agree to you waiting for your car back - more likely they just want to sell it off and it will get scrapped for parts.

I think your best option is to argue that the offer they have made is not enough, and you want a realistic settlement. You cannot expect to be better off than you were but equally you should not be worse off. Used car prices are high at the moment, and the settlement should reflect that. A polite but firm letter clearly spelling out why their offer is unacceptable and what it should be.

This will probably be contentious but if for example your car had 10k miles on it and you have now done 10k miles in the loan car I suspect a settlement based on current market value of your car with 20k miles on it is probably the best offer you will get.

·
Registered
73 Posts

View attachment 150632

We have one of the original 2018 Kona Electrics, and yesterday I received not just one, but two copies of the same letter saying that they were still intending to replace the HV battery and that batteries were starting to become available. It went on to say that I would be contacted when it was my turn. So far so good. Then it clarified that I could expect to be contacted at some point...between October 2021 and October 2022.
So, that narrows it down then.
I'm intending to wait this one out.
I don't need the app, or the bells and whistles that come with the newer model, and I trust that when the battery eventually does get replaced, I will have perhaps a 5 year old car with a brand new battery. In other words, as good as a new car.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whilst you will get plenty of opinions on here I really think you need to get some proper legal advice. Citizens Advice have useful guidance and templates for some legal complaints. The SMMT also have a role but in my experience they favour the car manufacturers over the owners.

IANAL but I would be surprised if they would ever agree to you waiting for your car back - more likely they just want to sell it off and it will get scrapped for parts.

I think your best option is to argue that the offer they have made is not enough, and you want a realistic settlement. You cannot expect to be better off than you were but equally you should not be worse off. Used car prices are high at the moment, and the settlement should reflect that. A polite but firm letter clearly spelling out why their offer is unacceptable and what it should be.

This will probably be contentious but if for example your car had 10k miles on it and you have now done 10k miles in the loan car I suspect a settlement based on current market value of your car with 20k miles on it is probably the best offer you will get.
Yes we do have a lawyer behind us, advice is they need to put us in a situation where we are no worse off, in other words to be in a car of same age and mileage as we had at the moment thats not possible for less than £33k due to the high retail prices. So being fair we were looking at taking a loss of a £1k or so but not £4100, that would leave us nowhere near trade price of a similar car let alone being able to buy it,

Hyundai seem to feel its not their fault EV prices are stable/rising and are devaluing the car as if it was an ICE which you could step into cheaply and easily.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We have one of the original 2018 Kona Electrics, and yesterday I received not just one, but two copies of the same letter saying that they were still intending to replace the HV battery and that batteries were starting to become available. It went on to say that I would be contacted when it was my turn. So far so good. Then it clarified that I could expect to be contacted at some point...between October 2021 and October 2022.
So, that narrows it down then.
I'm intending to wait this one out.
I don't need the app, or the bells and whistles that come with the newer model, and I trust that when the battery eventually does get replaced, I will have perhaps a 5 year old car with a brand new battery. In other words, as good as a new car.
Oh, and I forgot ot add that they say the replacement of the battery will take only about 5 days :)
We shall see.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
Really does make a mockery of their 5 year warranty.

“If it breaks a little, we’ll try and fix it. If it breaks a lot, you’re on your own”.

Now just add some petrol to this bin fire, here’s an older model with 25k miles for £29,295:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109067047657
Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

Stands to reason that they should actually give you the money to out and buy an equivalent car, not a trade in price.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

“If it breaks a little, we’ll try and fix it. If it breaks a lot, you’re on your own”.

Now just add some petrol to this bin fire, here’s an older model with 25k miles for £29,295:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109067047657 View attachment 150635

Stands to reason that they should actually give you the money to out and buy an equivalent car, not a trade in price.
See thats the way I think, you supplied it, its broke get me another not better not worse but as similar as you can.. or fix mine. Simple logic, insurance works that way this should be the same

I am not looking for betterment I am looking to get back to where I was, any betterment and I am happy to pay for it.

With their offer of £26.9 I would be lucky to find a 2018 PSE With 30k miles on it. Let alone a 1 year old one.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts

I think that's exactly it. They do not want to support someone with a 1,000 miles/week habit, and their "cost of the warranty claims to them" calculations are based on the "average" owner doing nearer to 7,000 miles per year (around 1/7 of your total). At present I don't think that many cars (whatever fuel or manufacturer) are resilient enough to make a 100,000 miles / 5 year warranty affordable to the importer, and the costs and bad publicity that you will regularly inflict on them is not worth the bother. They can sell their full UK allocation of EVs easily to people who will do a fraction of your mileage and hence claim nothing like as often.

There is an argument that they should only offer trade in price, and WBAC have a reputation for pushing down on the price after making a high initial offer but I agree that their current position is unfair.

So in summary, I think that they want you to leave with a "I'll never buy another" attitude towards them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Very sad .. but as discussed elsewhere, I'm feeling the same (but for different reasons). I can't remember dealing with a company like this before. Something feels broke at a corporate level.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that's exactly it. They do not want to support someone with a 1,000 miles/week habit, and their "cost of the warranty claims to them" calculations are based on the "average" owner doing nearer to 7,000 miles per year (around 1/7 of your total). At present I don't think that many cars (whatever fuel or manufacturer) are resilient enough to make a 100,000 miles / 5 year warranty affordable to the importer, and the costs and bad publicity that you will regularly inflict on them is not worth the bother. They can sell their full UK allocation of EVs easily to people who will do a fraction of your mileage and hence claim nothing like as often.

There is an argument that they should only offer trade in price, and WBAC have a reputation for pushing down on the price after making a high initial offer but I agree that their current position is unfair.

So in summary, I think that they want you to leave with a "I'll never buy another" attitude towards them.
Would agree if we were wearing them out, but this is a known fault thats affecting all of them and the costs to repair it seem to be down to LG for supplying faulty batteries, so surely the good publicity thing to do would to get it fixed and back ASAP without causing problems and worries for anyone considering one that if it does randomly fail its going to be a mare to sort out

And would agree on your point of the trade in offer, if the car could be fixed quickly at all.. And we were just moaning that it caused them a week or to to fix, but this is as bad as having the car written off in an accident there is no timescale for fixing it.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Also not related but if I disappear its not that I am fed up listening to the interesting points. its that Vickys Aunt just died she is getting back on the road to London now to look after her cousin who is deaf and with learning difficulties (She is his only family now)... So if she needs me I will be off as well to help..

So dont think I have flounced off not liking the counter points please.

1 - 20 of 484 Posts