Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Kona Saga, it draws to a close. (Or not who knows)

48K views 483 replies 69 participants last post by  mikeiow 
It’s more the style.

It’s pretty much the same width as a Tesla Model Y or ID.4.

Something like 5 cm wider than a Zoe.

Certainly we found it fine on the test drive, or rather my wife did.
It’s 16cm wider than a Zoe. The Ioniq 5 is 5cm wider than a mondeo. It’s a seriously fat car.
The Kona is such a good size I can see why Stageshoot really just wants one that works.

Maybe I've been lucky over the last 48years, but never had any reliability problems with any vehicle other than due to wear and tear.

Finding I am stranded somewhere, which could be in the middle of nowhere (Scottish Highlands) would be the last straw, although now I am wiser thanks to the forums, I wouldn't ever buy a Korean EV.

Build quality of most vehicles has declined over the years so now they are built to last the warranty period if that.

It isn't good enough for owners to have to rely on a warranty, they should not need to, and when they do, there is no excuse for not keeping parts in stock locally.
Sorry to say it but the "don't build 'em like they used to" really is nonsense. Everything has always been built to a price. I'm old enough to have had a few cars and the only car I've ever owned that didn't suffer from a component or build quality failure was a Toyota... and I only kept that a year.

Skoda Fabia - failed turbo at 2 years and 18k miles
Mondeo mk4 - premature DMF failure at 6 years and 50k miles
Mondeo mk3 - significant premature corrosion - back doors rotted through due to incorrect sealant used
Cavalier mk3 - significant premature corrosion - car needed welding up at 6 years old
Vectra mk1 - significant premature corrosion - read door strikers basically started to fall off - wouldn't cover under corrosion warranty because all car manufacturers are awful
Ka mk1 - Damn thing was rusting out of the showroom
Fiesta mk6 - myriad engine electrical problems
Xantia - back door leaks nobody seemed able to fix
C3 - body computer problems, door lock issues
e-niro - PTC heater failure

These are just the failures that shouldn't have occurred. Whilst it's frustrating we're still seeing some of these issues, especially given some manufacturers (Toyota being one) have shown how to build things properly, and to last, it just isn't true that things used to be better.

I am surprised nobody seems to be using AGM 12v batteries, that's what Toyota switched to and they don't have any issues reported.

<edit> also had a Skoda Fabia that didn't give me any issues but it was utterly dreadful and I didn't keep it very long.
<further edit> there are many more cars and issues I could list but they were more to do with previous neglect. Can't complain the engine's gone south if the previous owner never changed the oil :(

Yeah Halifax is a bugger.. £25k limit on Faster Payments (Total Per Day) unless made in branch then up to £250k. Debit Cards limited to £25k max per day. So would have had to split payments over several days, probably would have been easier than the hassle in bank. Seems like in Yorkshire they don't believe anyone would spend £40k on a car.

Despite me standing next to Vicky trying to make the transfer and seeing our ID< they were trying to convince her she was falling for a "Dating Scam" and buying and being conned into buying something expensive for someone, I do appreciate banks have to check customers are secure doing a transaction, but being bullied by three separate staff members to the point of tears and openly being told you are a gullible silly girl.. Really not on.. She has had the account 30 years but is insistant will be moving it today.
Can recommend Nationwide. They've been excellent, and the banking app is pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.