Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
461 - 480 of 484 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,740 Posts
Yeah Halifax is a bugger.. £25k limit on Faster Payments (Total Per Day) unless made in branch then up to £250k. Debit Cards limited to £25k max per day. So would have had to split payments over several days, probably would have been easier than the hassle in bank. Seems like in Yorkshire they don't believe anyone would spend £40k on a car.

Despite me standing next to Vicky trying to make the transfer and seeing our ID< they were trying to convince her she was falling for a "Dating Scam" and buying and being conned into buying something expensive for someone, I do appreciate banks have to check customers are secure doing a transaction, but being bullied by three separate staff members to the point of tears and openly being told you are a gullible silly girl.. Really not on.. She has had the account 30 years but is insistant will be moving it today.

Banks have to be careful. There are a lot of scammers out there. They shouldn't be so rude as to upset a customer. There may have been a string of frauds in their branch that looked just like your Vicky's transaction.

My bank transfer page has something along the lines of 'we think you're being scammed so tick here to say you're not' which I assume absolves them of any duty to repay actual victims of an actual scam. It appears for many transactions I do so I think banks are doing a good job of trying to avoid responsibility. Not all banks have signed up to the name checking facility which reduces fraud either.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
Just done the 60 miles home, have a 300 miler to London and back tonight.

First impressions, for a low spec car its spectacular, Remember I have not seen an EV6 in the flesh till picking it up. Very well equipped and I think the next level in comfort.

It did 3.5 m/kw on way home Vicky driving the Kona behind got 4.5 so as expected about 1 mile per kwh down.

Will no doubt post more thoughts and comparisons in the future if you dont mind,.. Dont want to bore you all

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant Hood

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Automobile pedal

Car Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Grille

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,823 Posts
It did 3.5 m/kw on way home Vicky driving the Kona behind got 4.5 so as expected about 1 mile per kwh down.
Slipstreaming behind you. Nicely done!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It is a pity they do not offer those seat sin the higher spec models as I really hated the suede seat on offer - one of the things that stopped me going for the EV6.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
Yeah Halifax is a bugger.. £25k limit on Faster Payments (Total Per Day) unless made in branch then up to £250k. Debit Cards limited to £25k max per day. So would have had to split payments over several days, probably would have been easier than the hassle in bank. Seems like in Yorkshire they don't believe anyone would spend £40k on a car.

Despite me standing next to Vicky trying to make the transfer and seeing our ID< they were trying to convince her she was falling for a "Dating Scam" and buying and being conned into buying something expensive for someone, I do appreciate banks have to check customers are secure doing a transaction, but being bullied by three separate staff members to the point of tears and openly being told you are a gullible silly girl.. Really not on.. She has had the account 30 years but is insistant will be moving it today.
Can recommend Nationwide. They've been excellent, and the banking app is pretty good.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
OK I am smiling now.

First rapid charge. On a janky 50kw Rapid that only ever fed the Kona 44kw max

Pegged the charger at 50kw from 15% when I plugged in to 89%. It slowed Dow to 40kw at 90% and stayed there till I unplugged at 95%

Motorway monster what more can I say. Can't wait to get it on a faster rapid

Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive design Font

Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Automotive lighting Entertainment Audio equipment Gadget Font

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
940 Posts
Just done the 60 miles home, have a 300 miler to London and back tonight.

First impressions, for a low spec car its spectacular, Remember I have not seen an EV6 in the flesh till picking it up. Very well equipped and I think the next level in comfort.

Will no doubt post more thoughts and comparisons in the future if you dont mind,.. Dont want to bore you all
That's one fugly car. And look how big it is. No good for you on those narrow english roads. I'll come over there and swap it for an e-Niro, which suits you better and will take that red piece of crap from your hands. Oh, the Niro is LHD but I guess you won't mind, do you?

·
Registered
Kona Electric
23 Posts
Glad it's finally been resolved, but it should have been sorted a lot earlier.

They really were shooting themselves repeatedly in both feet, especially given that this thread alone has been read by many potential customers who may well now be having second thoughts. I wouldn't mind betting that the true cost to them is a few multiples of the money they are now paying out.

Maybe they will learn from this and behave a bit more reasonably in future.
I really do wonder, though, how much they will actually have lost. Some people may have been put off by this thread, but Hyundai seem to be able to sell every car they are able to deliver at the moment, with punters (including me) prepared to wait months for their new cars to arrive - I ordered mid-August, and I've still got 2 weeks to go! - so on that basis I doubt the negative publicity will have had any noticeable impact in terms of lost sales. Lost reputation is more difficult to evaluate and to quantify, but again I doubt it will have done significant damage. We in here are the anoraks who take the trouble to read this sort of thing. Most punters will read a few press reviews (mainly glowing, from the ones I have seen) and perhaps take a test drive, and make their decision on what car to buy based on that, and what they can actually afford!. In my opinion, so long as Stageshoot's remains a rarity, an outlier, then I think the actual damage done will to Hyundai have been imperceptible.

As regards my own view, yes, I have read this entire saga, and find it very disturbing, especially as I did not find the story until after I had placed my order. However, after some serious reflection, my take on it goes something like this:-

First, my wife is on her second Hyundai (an ix20), and on the basis of the two cars so far I have confidence in Hyundai's engineering and manufacturing standards - they may not be the most dynamic cars around, but they are solidly engineered and well screwed together.

Second, any vehicle being sold in the numbers that the Kona has been is going to have the odd problem, and on that basis I can give them - until my experience persuades me otherwise! - the benefit of the doubt. In a sense this is like reading the review scores on Amazon. If there are many 4- and 5-star reviews, one need not be too perturbed by the odd 1-star.

Third, I factor in that for car manufacturers, the changeover from ICE to BEV requires some serious changes in culture, attitude and approach. These changes must occur top to bottom, in all departments of the company, and so far as I can tell all traditional car manufacturers are struggling, to a greater or lesser extent, to get those changes fully made. Clearly Hyundai have some catching-up to do in some aspects of this process, in my experience with my dealer they seem to be coping well with others, and I do believe that all the necessary changes will occur over time. In the meantime Stageshoot is the visible collateral damage of their failures so far. Whilst the failings his case have highlighted within Hyundai UK are certainly concerning, his difficulties are very much related to his particular vehicle use case, which is very different from my own.

Taking these considerations into account, and accepting that I am to some extent taking a risk based upon my assessment (but this is still early days of modern EV technology so far as most manufacturers are concerned, so there are risks in going with any BEV, particularly one in the middle to lower segment of the market like the Kona). I note Stageshoot's experience, but still look forward to taking delivery of my Kona with confidence. I'll let you know if I get proved wrong!

My wholehearted thanks to Stageshoot for laying out his story here in such detail, and I sincerely hope he will soon be able to move on and put that nightmare behind him.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
I really do wonder, though, how much they will actually have lost. Some people may have been put off by this thread, but Hyundai seem to be able to sell every car they are able to deliver at the moment, with punters (including me) prepared to wait months for their new cars to arrive - I ordered mid-August, and I've still got 2 weeks to go! - so on that basis I doubt the negative publicity will have had any noticeable impact in terms of lost sales. Lost reputation is more difficult to evaluate and to quantify, but again I doubt it will have done significant damage. We in here are the anoraks who take the trouble to read this sort of thing. Most punters will read a few press reviews (mainly glowing, from the ones I have seen) and perhaps take a test drive, and make their decision on what car to buy based on that, and what they can actually afford!. In my opinion, so long as Stageshoot's remains a rarity, an outlier, then I think the actual damage done will to Hyundai have been imperceptible.

As regards my own view, yes, I have read this entire saga, and find it very disturbing, especially as I did not find the story until after I had placed my order. However, after some serious reflection, my take on it goes something like this:-

First, my wife is on her second Hyundai (an ix20), and on the basis of the two cars so far I have confidence in Hyundai's engineering and manufacturing standards - they may not be the most dynamic cars around, but they are solidly engineered and well screwed together.

Second, any vehicle being sold in the numbers that the Kona has been is going to have the odd problem, and on that basis I can give them - until my experience persuades me otherwise! - the benefit of the doubt. In a sense this is like reading the review scores on Amazon. If there are many 4- and 5-star reviews, one need not be too perturbed by the odd 1-star.

Third, I factor in that for car manufacturers, the changeover from ICE to BEV requires some serious changes in culture, attitude and approach. These changes must occur top to bottom, in all departments of the company, and so far as I can tell all traditional car manufacturers are struggling, to a greater or lesser extent, to get those changes fully made. Clearly Hyundai have some catching-up to do in some aspects of this process, in my experience with my dealer they seem to be coping well with others, and I do believe that all the necessary changes will occur over time. In the meantime Stageshoot is the visible collateral damage of their failures so far. Whilst the failings his case have highlighted within Hyundai UK are certainly concerning, his difficulties are very much related to his particular vehicle use case, which is very different from my own.

Taking these considerations into account, and accepting that I am to some extent taking a risk based upon my assessment (but this is still early days of modern EV technology so far as most manufacturers are concerned, so there are risks in going with any BEV, particularly one in the middle to lower segment of the market like the Kona). I note Stageshoot's experience, but still look forward to taking delivery of my Kona with confidence. I'll let you know if I get proved wrong!

My wholehearted thanks to Stageshoot for laying out his story here in such detail, and I sincerely hope he will soon be able to move on and put that nightmare behind him.
I agree the Kona is a great car and I for one would have another. Please don't think I am knocking the Kona

It's just the mushroom treatment is what I object to.

I won't get into a long rant tonight as there is a free Gin bar I need to get back to before Vicky drinks it dry...

Pitty me driving so no gin for me just a very sozzled wife. There was a Whiskey bar around the corner as well sob...

World Purple Architecture Public space City

·
Registered
782 Posts

I have to admit, my local dealership have looked after me very well so far. When others were having issues with the updates not being applied correctly (again, see Stageshoots horrendous treatment on that), they performed the updates correctly and swiftly. They investigated the rattle from the drive train and changed the reduction gear assembly. When the 12 Volt battery died, they diagnosed that I needed a new battery, ordered it and fitted it the next day. The car is in today for detailed analysis of the intermittent Bluelink connection, where they have arranged for an EV loaner. Speak as I find, I can't really fault them.

Oh, and I still love the Kona. :)

·
Registered
Kona Electric
23 Posts
I agree the Kona is a great car and I for one would have another. Please don't think I am knocking the Kona
I don't. You have been careful all the way through to make clear that your beef is with Hyundai, not with the car. Like I said, thanks for the tale, and I really hope you enjoy the EV6 - it looks like a great car.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't. You have been careful all the way through to make clear that your beef is with Hyundai, not with the car. Like I said, thanks for the tale, and I really hope you enjoy the EV6 - it looks like a great car.
I also really liked the KONA but the Hyundai customer service (SIC) and especially the Executive Team were woefully inadequate.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Also, forgot to say that the generous warranty covers all of these faults (which is just as well). :)

·
Registered
Kona Electric
23 Posts
I also really liked the KONA but the Hyundai customer service (SIC) and especially the Executive Team were woefully inadequate.
Thank you.

I have to say that in some fifty-something years of motoring I have with one exceptionally ever had cause to interact with dealers, not manufacturers or importers. (The one exception, 40+ years ago, was Volkswagon, who screwed me over a new car order that they had accepted but then failed to build.) And my Hyundai dealer so far has been excellent - something of a contrast with some I have encountered! I do accept, though, that in regard specifically to EVs my only contact has been with the sales staff - who have been professional and knowledgeable - and that how their technicians cope with EVs is as yet a blank page! I am to some extent reassured on that front by the knowledge that they already have several years' experience with EVs - they committed BEVs with the original Ioniq - and by the enthusiasm of the saleswoman I have been dealing with. If she were not backed up by a competent technical staff then I very much doubt she would be displaying the same attitude.

And so yes, I hear, note, and appreciate the comments in here, and through those I am forearmed should problems arise. I like to think I am not walking into this blindly, but rather would like, if I can, to avoid pre-judging anything. I make my own assessments, but remain open-minded. Like most things in life, it's a gamble which I undertake after assessing the risks. If it works, then I'm ahead - and if it goes wrong then I'm happy to accept that I will have no-one to blame but myself! :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thank you.

I have to say that in some fifty-something years of motoring I have with one exceptionally ever had cause to interact with dealers, not manufacturers or importers. (The one exception, 40+ years ago, was Volkswagon, who screwed me over a new car order that they had accepted but then failed to build.) And my Hyundai dealer so far has been excellent - something of a contrast with some I have encountered! I do accept, though, that in regard specifically to EVs my only contact has been with the sales staff - who have been professional and knowledgeable - and that how their technicians cope with EVs is as yet a blank page! I am to some extent reassured on that front by the knowledge that they already have several years' experience with EVs - they committed BEVs with the original Ioniq - and by the enthusiasm of the saleswoman I have been dealing with. If she were not backed up by a competent technical staff then I very much doubt she would be displaying the same attitude.

And so yes, I hear, note, and appreciate the comments in here, and through those I am forearmed should problems arise. I like to think I am not walking into this blindly, but rather would like, if I can, to avoid pre-judging anything. I make my own assessments, but remain open-minded. Like most things in life, it's a gamble which I undertake after assessing the risks. If it works, then I'm ahead - and if it goes wrong then I'm happy to accept that I will have no-one to blame but myself! :)
Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Works for me. :)

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 · (Edited)
Coming up on 1000 miles in Kia now. So will do a head to head comparison soon in a separate thread

Yes there are some things the Kona does better.

But this faster charging is giving me heartburn. Parked for lunch ran (well ran is an overstatement) to M&S for some Sushi. Got back to car and had to neck it at record speed as charge was finishing. In the Kona I would have had desert and time for emails.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

461 - 480 of 484 Posts