Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given we are expecting around 15k miles per year we have asked for a quotation on service costs for three years. So that's four services at 10k miles each. The costs are
yr1 £55
yr2 £167
yr3 £55
yr4 £662 (includes complete battery coolant replacement).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Seems to me that Year 4 is an excuse to enable Service Departments to recover some lost revenue due to EV’s requiring a lot less work.

It will be interesting to see if this Service Schedule is forced retrospectively on 2019 Owners. If it is, then as a low mileage user, I would still feel obliged to comply, in order to maintain the Battery Warranty.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
That’s nuts to force a coolant change early at 2 years.

It should really be age based.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Seems to me that Year 4 is an excuse to enable Service Departments to recover some lost revenue due to EV’s requiring a lot less work.

It will be interesting to see if this Service Schedule is forced retrospectively on 2019 Owners. If it is, then as a low mileage user, I would still feel obliged to comply, in order to maintain the Battery Warranty.
I asked today when mine was having its 60k service. The service desk called head office abbd were told its not retrospective to the earlier cars and they don't need it changed till 100k miles or 10 years and the cost for it is £375 Inc the 10 year service

So it would seem the change is a major moneymnaker for them at double the cost and more than twice the frequency on the new cars

·
Registered
103 Posts
Similar to the 2019 Model except the Battery Coolant Replacement is not till 100k (Year 10)
In the USA, coolant replacement for the 2019 model is not until 120k miles.. It's weird that the service intervals are longer on the US model..
In the USA, we can do our own servicing and still keep our warranty. The only time that they can reject a warranty claim is if they can prove that lack of servicing caused a particular issue.
I'm at 23500 miles so far (in 8 months of ownership) and my total service cost was US$40 for the cabin air filter.. I did do all the checks and tire rotation myself, so no additional cost for that.
Found a generic cabin filter for under US$10, so future cabin air filter changes will only cost me about $10..

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
In the USA, coolant replacement for the 2019 model is not until 120k miles.. It's weird that the service intervals are longer on the US model..
In the USA, we can do our own servicing and still keep our warranty. The only time that they can reject a warranty claim is if they can prove that lack of servicing caused a particular issue.
I'm at 23500 miles so far (in 8 months of ownership) and my total service cost was US$40 for the cabin air filter.. I did do all the checks and tire rotation myself, so no additional cost for that.
Found a generic cabin filter for under US$10, so future cabin air filter changes will only cost me about $10..
Same re warranty in the UK, they cant reject a warranty claim due to the servicing not being done, only if they can prove that not doing the servicing let to the fault. And in the UK any garage can do the service as use as they use genuine parts

As for costs so far its been Zero as the first 60k miles of servicing was provided free by Hyundai.. Going forward I will probably let them do the 20k services that involve brake fluid and cabin filters but miss the 10k visual inspection ones.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Same re warranty in the UK, they cant reject a warranty claim due to the servicing not being done, only if they can prove that not doing the servicing let to the fault. And in the UK any garage can do the service as use as they use genuine parts

As for costs so far its been Zero as the first 60k miles of servicing was provided free by Hyundai.. Going forward I will probably let them do the 20k services that involve brake fluid and cabin filters but miss the 10k visual inspection ones.
Brake fluid is an inspection item in the US.. I don't see anything in the Maintenance schedule that would indicate requiring a change of the brake fluid in normal driving conditions..

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Brake fluid is an inspection item in the US.. I don't see anything in the Maintenance schedule that would indicate requiring a change of the brake fluid in normal driving conditions..
Yes there are a lot of strange differences,

Here is the list of what they do on the UK Services and when (2018 and 2019 cars) seems its changed for 2020 cars

And here are the items on limited mileage warranty excluded from the full 5 years no miles limit

·
Registered
176 Posts
Came on here for research..I am about to collect a Kia Soul EV (I know this is the Hyundai forum!) but asked and have received information now about service costs (as they did not know at the point of me ordering). Just wanted to see what the Hyundai guys are being charged. I am taken aback and not a little peed off by how expensive the Kia servicing is. One of the points about EVs are that they are more expensive to buy up front but cheaper running costs help to alleviate the purchase price over time. I own and have run an EV already for over 3 years (i3). I know Hyundai/Kia are sister brands but even so..

Initial 3 year service pack: £529 -reading the details the first 2 services are literally inspection. Then this now famous motor/inverter coolant change at Year 3. Was at 10 years on the Kona pre 2019.Same battery in the Kona...?! But then this cycle pretty much repeats every 3 years with minor services costing £118 and 4th year/40,000 mile service costing £278 and 60,000/6 year service costing £493. And lest we forget these are still ANNUAL services which seems excessive also for an EV. Not serviced an ICE car that often for years.Following the manufacturer schedule.

Bugger me this is as expensive as ICE or diesel cars. And they are now replacing coolant every 3 years...
So count yourselves lucky. How many owners actually know about these service costs on their Hyundai and Kia EVs?

All the manufacturers seem to be colluding on ensuring high "servicing" costs to keep things just the same as their ICE models, and they seem to be succeeding. These high prices just become "normal" over time. This is obvious price goughing in my opinion.

May well cancel just on principle and wait it out for a few months before discounts become available and the servicing packs are thrown in for free. Always happens eventually. It may be a long wait but in Pandemic times and recession coming, no major loss to me. There should be plenty of choice of EVs over the coming months. Will have a think about what to do.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I complained at my first service and they deleted the cabin filter change, dropped $230 to $130. They worked on the car for well over an hour with software updates included and I consider that 130 reasonable given the shop rate is around 90/hr.
I would need all the sign-offs to maintain my various warranties, no consumer protection here unless I pay for a lawyer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I asked today when mine was having its 60k service. The service desk called head office abbd were told its not retrospective to the earlier cars and they don't need it changed till 100k miles or 10 years and the cost for it is £375 Inc the 10 year service

So it would seem the change is a major moneymnaker for them at double the cost and more than twice the frequency on the new cars
The change might be legitimate. It appears the green coolant in 2019 and earlier models is just conventional antifreeze and the blue coolant in 2020 models is a special low conductivity concoction that water cannot be added. Its part no. 00232-19091 and retails for around $84 US dollars per gallon. I am not sure of the coolant system capacity but its probably at least a couple of gallons. I suspect the switch to the new coolant is prevent a catastrophic short circuit if a leak occurs or perhaps decrease the risk of thermal runaway if the battery is damaged in a collision. Anyways it would seem the new coolant is less durable or is hydrophilic and requires a more frequent change schedule.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find it interesting the interval is differing in different countries, in the US, it is 10 years or 120,000 miles. The rest are inspect, except the cabin air filter which is replace and tire rotation, which is do this like you normally would every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is coolant, just about anywhere should be able to change it out, but you might have to call to make sure they have the right stuff in stock.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's unknown as of yet how easy it is to bleed the cooling system. As for brake fluid, being DOT3 or 4, not changing it every few years is not a good plan given how complicated and therefore expensive the braking system is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts