Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I am looking to convert to EV life and I am having an internal battle over the Hyundai Kona and the MG ZS EV.

I have test driven the ZS EV and am awaiting one to arrive from the Elmo subscription company in order to fully test drive it for a month (as soon as they fix the damage the previous hirer left!). The price and the size of the ZS EV are hugely appealing, as well as the incredible panoramic sunroof. However, the range of the Kona and the reliability of the Hyundai brand are swaying me a little, so I am going to test drive a Kona tomorrow. If that goes well, I may considering hiring one for a month through ONTO as well.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has moved from the ZS to the Kona or vice versa and hear what they think.

I drive around 75 miles a day round trip to work almost exclusively on motorway/dual carriageway and I live in a flat with only on-street parking too, hoping to be reliant on work charging. Some days fast chargers aren't available at work, so through my ZS subscription I am keen to find out if I can rely on granny charging.

I need the car to be capable of carrying a full complement of people, as well as dogs in the boot, so I am nervous about the Konas smaller size. I have thought about the E-Niro, but that is just slightly out of my price range. So it's between the ZS or the Kona.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
A month in each will be the best selection tool. But as a general rule, in your situation, with no home charger, a 75 miles per day minimum drive pattern by motorway, winter and summer, and possibly unreliable work access, then a longer range car will most likely be the factor that tips it that way as it offers so much more flexibility. The MG would absolutely need a daily charge to avoid difficulties but the Kona would not need such discipline.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A month in the spring is very different to a month in the winter. If you're happy to drive at 60-65 at times and accept that 100 miles might be just about the limit in the worst conditions then the ZS is really great value. It's much bigger than the Kona but the worse efficiency and smaller battery mean the range is about half.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,132 Posts
I’ve not been in the MG, but the Kona is small, I found. Not sure I’d it say it was really up to "carrying a full complement of people, as well as dogs [plural] in the boot".

Shorter range and lower efficiency can be effectively addressed by just charging a bit more often. There isn’t really any way at all to fix a lack of human/canine passenger space.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
557 Posts
Your commute sounds too far to rely on granny charging if the work charging access isn't possible, with either EV.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
481 Posts
I have a ZS EV and found that it averages more than 3 miles to a kWh in winter and it is better the longer the journey because the battery consumes power warming up over the first 10 miles. So you will need to replenish 20 to 25 kWh a day. That is approximately 8 hours charging. The Kona is more efficient and will achieve maybe 3.5 miles per kWh. I have driven both cars and whilst I agree the Kona is a bit more polished it was noisy from the rear suspension. I couldn’t justify the extra £12k to myself but of course there are now used cars about. Your speed on the motorway will of course affect the range, if you regularly run into heavy traffic and cruise at 65 mph rather than errr 75 mph the range will be much better. You will certainly find it a far more relaxing journey in an EV.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,650 Posts
Have you checked the “toys treats”……heated seats, remote control heating, sat nav traffic real time ?

Some of those may not be essential but be aware you don’t assume the MG has what the Kona has.
Remote pre heat on demand was one of the major swingers for me to the Kona.

Range wise over a 75mile round trip are there no 50kw Rapids where 15 mins in the morning ( or eve if was in use) would be a useful winter top up? That could plus for the MG smaller range. Zap-Map, PlugShare —— have a good via them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out Bjorn Nylands "Teslabjorn" channel on Youtube. He owns a ZS in Thailand, and has performed many tests on the Kona.
Ahh thank you very much for this, I love this guys banana box challenges but didn't make the connection he would do reviews of them both! I bet Teslabjorn knows all about winter range living in Norway.

A month in each will be the best selection tool. But as a general rule, in your situation, with no home charger, a 75 miles per day minimum drive pattern by motorway, winter and summer, and possibly unreliable work access, then a longer range car will most likely be the factor that tips it that way as it offers so much more flexibility. The MG would absolutely need a daily charge to avoid difficulties but the Kona would not need such discipline.
A month in the spring is very different to a month in the winter. If you're happy to drive at 60-65 at times and accept that 100 miles might be just about the limit in the worst conditions then the ZS is really great value. It's much bigger than the Kona but the worse efficiency and smaller battery mean the range is about half.
Your commute sounds too far to rely on granny charging if the work charging access isn't possible, with either EV.
Shorter range and lower efficiency can be effectively addressed by just charging a bit more often.
Range wise over a 75mile round trip are there no 50kw Rapids where 15 mins in the morning ( or eve if was in use) would be a useful winter top up? That could plus for the MG smaller range. Zap-Map, PlugShare —— have a good via them.
I have a ZS EV and found that it averages more than 3 miles to a kWh in winter and it is better the longer the journey because the battery consumes power warming up over the first 10 miles. So you will need to replenish 20 to 25 kWh a day. That is approximately 8 hours charging. The Kona is more efficient and will achieve maybe 3.5 miles per kWh.
Thanks for all the info. At work I will definitely have access to a granny charger every day, it's just the fast charger that will require negotiation between colleagues. I want to test whether the 8 hour shift time is enough to replenish what I use daily with a granny charge, as Brian G says. Or I will not quite make it and each day I lose a bit more range.

I understand that it becomes a lifestyle and if I had the ZS, my life would just fit around its range. However, the flexibility of not needing to charge it every day, especially in winter, does appeal to me.

The 15 min morning rapid idea is a good one to take into account. There is a bp pulse rapid next to the gym I am considering becoming a member of and seeing as I only believe in using a gym during the winter, maybe that could be a great combination. At least it appears the ZS would definitely do my commute, even on the worst of winter days.

There are lots of free chargers in my town too and I would definitely start shopping at/going to places that offer it to graze as much as I can.

I’ve not been in the MG, but the Kona is small, I found. Not sure I’d it say it was really up to "carrying a full complement of people, as well as dogs [plural] in the boot".

There isn’t really any way at all to fix a lack of human/canine passenger space.
Have you considered the MG 5 Estate, more room ? and a better range.
Space is quite a big thing for me. My current ICE is a 56 BMW X3 which has been used lots of times as a bus, a moving van, and a dump truck and I very much enjoy having those abilities all the time. So maybe when I see the Kona today I will be put off by its smaller size.

As I have said in another thread, I'd love to have something small like a Renault Zoe for my commute, if there was fast and affordable access to an SUV-style car for a few hours or a weekend at a moment's notice. But currently, the hire/subscription model isn't there yet, so I definitely need a permanent SUV-style car.

I did check out the MG5 and it was a great drive, but I didn't like that the driver's seat was flat on the floor, leaving anyone sat behind me little leg room and absolutely no toe room! Also, as I will be getting the car on lease, lease costs for the MG5 and Kona are relatively similar, so I would be swayed to the range and gizmo's in the Kona. I haven't ruled the MG5 out and maybe I will go for it in the end because it is almost exactly in the middle of the capabilites.

If I could, I would combine the MG5's range and dashboard set up with the ZS size and toys. But then, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it haha!

(Also, it's so annyoying the ZS doesn't have a battery percentage!)

The MG is a lot of car for your money, its the Dacia of the EV world. It has a strong following, as has the Kona. It is less polished however than the Kona,
I have driven both cars and whilst I agree the Kona is a bit more polished it was noisy from the rear suspension. I couldn’t justify the extra £12k to myself but of course there are now used cars about. Your speed on the motorway will of course affect the range, if you regularly run into heavy traffic and cruise at 65 mph rather than errr 75 mph the range will be much better. You will certainly find it a far more relaxing journey in an EV.
Have you checked the “toys treats”……heated seats, remote control heating, sat nav traffic real time ?

Some of those may not be essential but be aware you don’t assume the MG has what the Kona has.
Remote pre heat on demand was one of the major swingers for me to the Kona.
I have been looking into all of the "toys" on the cars and I understand the Kona will be much better equipped in that realm. Having said that, I liked what I saw when I test drove the ZS and as far as a satnav goes, I will likely carry on using google/zap-map for any directions anyway. My only 'minimum' was some form of cruise control, and they all have that, so I am happy.

And as mentioned, I think what the ZS has, is amazing for the money, even with its quirky way of doing things.

Thanks for all the info so far. I will let you know my thoughts after test driving the Kona today.

·
3,132 Posts
At work I will definitely have access to a granny charger every day, it's just the fast charger that will require negotiation between colleagues. I want to test whether the 8 hour shift time is enough to replenish what I use daily with a granny charge
I would use ABRP and put in a week’s worth of commuting (ie home address - work - home - work - home and so on)…but then also go into the setting for each 'work' waypoint and enter the granny charging details (ie ~2kW for 8 hours).

Then increase the 'reference consumption' setting by at least 10% (they build a 10% safety margin into the reference consumption).

Enter the weather conditions, speed settings etc to your choosing then see what it says.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
The combination of a realistic 150 miles car, a 75 miles commute, and 'possibly' only able to add 50 miles at work with a 13 amp three-pin charger would do my 'ed in.

Day 1 - leave home with 100%. Arrive with 50% and add 25%. Get home with 75%
Day 2 - leave home with 75%. Arrive with 25% and add 25%. Get home with 50%
Day 3 - leave home with 50% and worry. Deffo need the 7kW charger at work and still only get home with 50%.
Day 4 - Repeat day 3 and realise that I made a bad mistake.
Day 5 - Visit dealer to negotiate return of car and purchase of a 250 miles range car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,897 Posts
Don't even bother with the MG. It's too short range. Better to get the Kona. No home or decent work charging is a recipe for misery and getting stranded.

You'd either need somewhere to charge at home a few times a week with the MG or guaranteed charging at work at 7kw whenever you needed (probably every day in winter to be sure).

Even with the Kona it's setting yourself up to having a rough time.

You need to find more places to charge than just work. Supermarket or destination charging. If it's the only car that will also be used at weekends then that's another reason to wait for a better workplace charging or some on street charging at home.

If you have a second car you can take to work then it's less risk if you return too low to get back to work and don't have the time to fill up again before going back to work.

·
3,132 Posts
Just an example, but… if we take 'home' as Theydon Bois and 'work' to be Sawston that’s 37 miles up the motorway/dual carriageway to work, then 37 miles home (a round trip of 74 miles).

Link to plan:
Of course, in less favourable conditions it would become tighter - but then lower traffic speeds may go some way to off-setting the weather impact. And of course, a full or nearly full charge would be needed each weekend. This is assuming a 5 day commute.

·
3,132 Posts
If we say it’s 0°C all week long, with a constant 5mph head wind in both directions, and is always raining, then ABRP reckons you’d need one 20 min rapid charge during the week.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
Actually, on reflection, you might make it work with a 150 miles car but probably only with permanent access to the work 6 kW charger or frequent visits to a Rapid every other day. But I wouldn't risk it and would live with fewer litres in the boot in exchange for a 250 miles range car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
@LightningBolt , It would be great to check if there are any public slow chargers near your place. Or any plans council has to build the infrastructure.
Having a place to charge overnight would be ideal for you!

I'm passionate about EVs and personally I would like to see as many of us as possible switching to EVs. When I drop kids to school and smell the fumes from 30 cars idling near by to drop other kids it makes me dizzy. Or at local train station at 6pm - the smell or diesel is intoxicating.

However, short range car with long commute and no easy / convenient way to charge it may be difficult for long term. You will initially love it. You will go to rapids, you will try charge point at supermarkets, etc...You will get yourself something to do while you are charging (there is always something to watch on youtube, netfilx, read the book, write that email...)

But a year (or two) down the line you may get tired of it. Winter, rain - you will have to stop for top up on motorway when you are rushing to get back home. You will think of pretext to go to supermarket only to charge the car. Or gym, or...
Having reliable public charger for overnight or work is a game changer if you commute daily. Or at least long range car (Tesla?).

Last week I read an article about I-pace owner who typically commutes between 150 - 500mi (round-trip) for clients / site visits. He cannot rely that every client has a charger. The initial excitement wore off and two years later he went back to diesel :(
That illustrates wrong car choice to fit his driving pattern.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts