Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Even after nearly 2 years, there's still nothing that really comes close other than the sister cars from Kia (e-Niro and Soul). If they could just smooth out the jittery ride and add sound-proofing in, I'd keep it for years. As it is, I have my eye on on the Mercedes EQA in early 2021, maybe...

Reactions: tanelv

·
Registered
343 Posts
Interesting thing to me is that I am perhaps MORE nervous of moving to a new brand with their first EV.

We have loved the Kona, but I had put a deposit down on the VW iD.3, just because by then (a year ago!) it felt it might be a good time to change.
Of course as the specs came out, & I realised the range will likely be lower for the 1st Edition, I realised I had expected to have ALL the bells & whistles on that 1st Edition model, & was setting myself up for disappointment. I also have concerns over how good their s/w quality will be. Probably absolutely fine, but I've decided I'll let others be the guinea pigs for that!

We cancelled our place in the queue last night.

In reality, with the (lack of) miles going on with Sparky, we may keep him for a few years. Don't especially note a jittery ride.....the other little foibles we have grown to live with (startup procedure: lane departure OFF, auto-hold ON !!)

Maybe the next swap will be my old XC60 (which we do love, and is also doing near-zero miles now!)....maybe for a Model Y: I do admire the Tesla long distance charging infrastructure - we need the Volvo (or replacement) to be up to longer runs for holidays....who knows, perhaps we would go ALL-electric😇

·
Registered
371 Posts
Interesting thing to me is that I am perhaps MORE nervous of moving to a new brand with their first EV.

We have loved the Kona, but I had put a deposit down on the VW iD.3, just because by then (a year ago!) it felt it might be a good time to change.
Of course as the specs came out, & I realised the range will likely be lower for the 1st Edition, I realised I had expected to have ALL the bells & whistles on that 1st Edition model, & was setting myself up for disappointment. I also have concerns over how good their s/w quality will be. Probably absolutely fine, but I've decided I'll let others be the guinea pigs for that!

We cancelled our place in the queue last night.

In reality, with the (lack of) miles going on with Sparky, we may keep him for a few years. Don't especially note a jittery ride.....the other little foibles we have grown to live with (startup procedure: lane departure OFF, auto-hold ON !!)

Maybe the next swap will be my old XC60 (which we do love, and is also doing near-zero miles now!)....maybe for a Model Y: I do admire the Tesla long distance charging infrastructure - we need the Volvo (or replacement) to be up to longer runs for holidays....who knows, perhaps we would go ALL-electric😇
Johnny Smith on Fully Charged said he doesn't like to use the term "game changer", but when he reviewed the Kona Electric, he said he had to say it was a game changer. I had an Ioniq for 18 months while I waited for the Kona to become readily available. I nearly went for the Tesla Model 3, but realised it would be over the top for my modest needs. As for the charging infrastructure, once I'd set the payment filter on Zap-Map to contactless only, I've had no issues with the Instavolt, Engenie, Shell, and BP networks.
The one foible I've got used to now is the ghost braking from the smart cruise control.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
We've now gone completely EV, with the wife getting a Zoe 40kWh run-out model last Autumn. The ride is so much nicer than the Kona - quieter, smoother, much more settled. The Kona feels like a jumpy toy car in comparison on anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces. And my previous car, the Ampera... well, that was akin to an S-class, so I guess it's unfair to compare it to that!

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Link to actual report. Not sure why 3rd party sites deserve traffic?
In small cars, Zoe beat off Mini and Pug which surprised me too...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Johnny Smith on Fully Charged said he doesn't like to use the term "game changer", but when he reviewed the Kona Electric, he said he had to say it was a game changer. I had an Ioniq for 18 months while I waited for the Kona to become readily available. I nearly went for the Tesla Model 3, but realised it would be over the top for my modest needs. As for the charging infrastructure, once I'd set the payment filter on Zap-Map to contactless only, I've had no issues with the Instavolt, Engenie, Shell, and BP networks.
The one foible I've got used to now is the ghost braking from the smart cruise control.
Hi Mike - I'm deciding between the Ioniq and the Kona right now. What was your reason for moving to the Kona?

I'm leaning towards the Kona, main concern is the small boot size, and the lease cost is £100 more per month than the Ioniq.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Mike - I'm deciding between the Ioniq and the Kona right now. What was your reason for moving to the Kona?

I'm leaning towards the Kona, main concern is the small boot size, and the lease cost is £100 more per month than the Ioniq.
Hi. Mike was the guy I was replying to. I'm Alan, and the main reason was the range, although I rarely had any issues with the Ioniq charging (A couple of non functioning chargers which I had to phone a help desk). I have family who live 115 miles away and so a trip involved a stop for charging on the way there and on the way back. Now I can do it without stopping once. :)

Also, I drive all over Somerset at a moments notice rescuing hedgehogs for a rescue centre in Cheddar, so the greater range means I can just go without having to plan charging stops like I used to. The boot in the Kona is smaller than the Ioniq, however there is a lot of space under the floor if you take out the molded trays.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
We've now gone completely EV, with the wife getting a Zoe 40kWh run-out model last Autumn. The ride is so much nicer than the Kona - quieter, smoother, much more settled. The Kona feels like a jumpy toy car in comparison on anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces. And my previous car, the Ampera... well, that was akin to an S-class, so I guess it's unfair to compare it to that!
Yes having an Ampera spoiled me too! It was the most comfortable car I have ever owned and would have bought the next one if it had come to the UK. Revolutionary design, criminally under-appreciated by most of the world (and GM).

Fortunately I then had a Leaf 30 which made me appreciate the Kona all the more and forgive its slightly enthusiastic ride. Enjoyed the Leaf but Kona is so much better in every respect (but definitely not as luxurious as Ampera).

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The boot in the Kona is smaller than the Ioniq, however there is a lot of space under the floor if you take out the molded trays.
The space under is huge, imo. I'd love to have a measure on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's almost as much as above!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts