Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having become frustrated with having to tell passengers how to open their doors, I decided I should label the door open buttons.
I did not like the various stickers I had seen before but was browsing on Amazon last night and came across what looked like a neat solution. Clear stickers with the words Open Door. I ordered them and installed today.
They are clear and stick on very well and look professional, imho.
There are options for the size and wording.
Worth the £8 to stop passengers pulling the emergency handles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought these a couple of months ago. They're bloody expensive for what they are but definitely a necessity. Like you I was getting tired of telling passengers how to open the door and I was constantly worried that they would pull the emergency lever.

Funnily enough, even though the stickers are clearly labelled, some passengers still struggle to open the door. Sigh.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've had these for a fair while, work fine :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
£8 for these!
not sure who is slower, the buyer of these for that money or the passengers who need detailed instructions.
I have never had anyone who didn't understand "press the top button and push!"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
£8 for these!
not sure who is slower, the buyer of these for that money or the passengers who need detailed instructions.
There is no need to be insulting. A forum should be friendly and civil. You are calling me, my passengers and the two other people that posted that they installed, “slow”.
Even when I say “press the top button and push” some people still naturally reach for the emergency release handle.
I would rather pay £8 to reduce the chances of a passenger pulling on the emergency door releases and causing damage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
£8 for these!
So you're saying you had to give your passengers instructions on how to open the door?

·
Registered
141 Posts
So you're saying you had to give your passengers instructions on how to open the door?
Yes, I do. Not sure why that is such a surprise.

For people who have never been in a Tesla and are used to traditional door handles, then of course they're going to be a bit befuddled. I certainly was the first time I sat in one. I had to fumble around for a bit and I naturally went for the handle unaware that a button existed! The Tesla sales person stopped me just in time and showed me the location of the button as it's not immediately obvious. She said she's had to tell this to practically everyone who test drove it for the first time.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,879 Posts
Yes, I do. Not sure why that is such a surprise.

For people who have never been in a Tesla and are used to traditional door handles, then of course they're going to be a bit befuddled. I certainly was the first time I sat in one. I had to fumble around for a bit and I naturally went for the handle unaware that a button existed! The Tesla sales person stopped me just in time and showed me the location of the button as it's not immediately obvious. She said she's had to tell this to practically everyone who test drove it for the first time.
Agreed. I've had to tell people how to open the door..It's not surprising and is not a big deal, is it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Tesla sales person stopped me just in time and showed me the location of the button as it's not immediately obvious. She said she's had to tell this to practically everyone who test drove it for the first time.
Tesla should label them, in the meantime maybe someone could make labels that you can buy :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The exterior door handles are bad enough, but I never realised that opening a car door from inside could be made quite so perversely awkward!
Does anyone really think these anti-ergonomic touches are an improvement on traditional design?
:LOL:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tesla should label them, in the meantime maybe someone could make labels that you can buy :D
The good news is that the labels that I stuck on the button has stopped people from pulling the handle. Sometimes I watch them silently and see how long it takes for them to figure out that the sticker is the door release button. Some of my friends got it straight away, others were confused about the location of the button, not realising that the label IS the button haha.

phproxy said:
Agreed. I've had to tell people how to open the door..It's not surprising and is not a big deal, is it?
Not at all... until they pull the handle and break the door :D

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,879 Posts
The exterior door handles are bad enough, but I never realised that opening a car door from inside could be made quite so perversely awkward!
Does anyone really think these anti-ergonomic touches are an improvement on traditional design?
Well you usually have to pull a handle and then push the door, now you push a button and push the door. So no worse, imo

·
Registered
903 Posts
There's at least functional reasoning behind the design - ie that the interior button allows the car to drop the window before it unlatches the door, and the external handle is flush and aero-friendly without the complexity (and issues) that come with a presenting design like the Model S. The 3 exterior handles aren't significantly different to a number of other cars (fiat barchetta, Lexus LC, Aston Martin DB9, etc).

I personally find no issue at all with using them having had the car a while, and actually find other cars inside door handles more of a faff than getting out of the 3 (where's it's very natural to swing the door open with the big grab handle having the release button fall neatly to thumb, rather than in other cars trying to pull the handle and push the door simultaneously (a somewhat awkward action that we've all got used to over the years and thus do without a second thought)). So yes, I find the interior release an improvement and the exterior is one that is easy enough to get used to that it requires no second thought yet seems preferable to complex stuff like the I-pace, model S, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no need to be insulting. A forum should be friendly and civil.
No offence meant and I am sorry if I came across that way. Stickers are an OK idea if there is such a struggle with explaining to your passengers - my 2 observations were:
a) I haven't found it hard to explain in less than 30 seconds to a number of folks over last 9 months and b) paying £8 for tiny stickers seemed like extortion. Both of the observations are very personal to my circumstances / my passengers and may not apply to others...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can see the point of these stickers, but yes, they do seem way overpriced for what they are. Think I'd more tempted to try getting a lifetimes supply of clear labels for £11 and then get busy with a scalpel!
Other sizes exist!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts