1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model X 100D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, mildly amusing first post.

Hello!

Lady insists that she can charge her VW ID.4 at the Leeds Supercharger as it has the right connector.
My wife says that it is unlikely as it is not a Tesla.
The cable won't reach to the drivers side of her car, so starts tugging it.
My wife says that she shouldn't really be doing that, and that it won't make any difference, and that the cable not reaching is indicative that it isn't going to work.
She says that she'll just get it nearer and that will do it.
While trying to move forward to reposition, car lurches dangerously forward!
She then reverses, and pushes her tow-bar into the Supercharger, leaning it back a little.
She finally manages to connect the cable. She can't understand why it isn't charging as things have lit up in the car, but not on the Supercharger (not sure what she means by this?).
My wife points out that the Supercharger probably won't recognise her vehicle.
Eventually she appears to accept that it is not going to charge, and moves her vehicle allowing us to start charging.
She "parks" her car out of the way.

Fortunately the Supercharger was still operational.

Images are of the vehicle, and the pushed back Supercharger:

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 Tesla Model X 100D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the current differentiators in favour of Tesla is the charging infrastructure.
Not long after we got ours, we took it to the Costa Del Sol in order to test the charging infrastructure. It was impressive.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
209 Posts
I mean, even if it still works she’s still caused criminal damage and left the scene without leaving her details for the owner.

If someone reversed in to my garden fence and left it at that angle I’d be pretty pissed off!

Some people are really frustrating; they spend their life making assumptions about how everything is and then treat it as fact. This person definitely sounds like one of them, not even listening to reason when someone who clearly knows the true facts tries to tell her about it.

Welcome to the forum btw!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I mean, even if it still works she’s still caused criminal damage and left the scene without leaving her details for the owner.

If someone reversed in to my garden fence and left it at that angle I’d be pretty pissed off!

Some people are really frustrating; they spend their life making assumptions about how everything is and then treat it as fact. This person definitely sounds like one of them, not even listening to reason when someone who clearly knows the true facts tries to tell her about it.

Welcome to the forum btw!
It’s not criminal damage calm down 😂

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Did the dealer say
" you can charge it at any public charger "
" you can charge it at some Tesla charge Points" ( ie the non Teslsa locked type2s)

A lot of dealer sales people have never taken an EV they sell and tried charging it, and sometimes key words get missed / misheard during the sale pitch

Must admit I am not a fan of these " oh we'll just chuck the charge port behind a front wheel" setups
Shurely it's easier to design in on the nose, or the very rear ?

Reactions: mad_rich

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
99 Posts
I do wonder how often people get caught out though that don’t know. My Kona quite happily tells me to visit the Tesla Supercharger on the services near me for a charge… it completely ignores the PodPoint rapid at Tesco, and it preferences the Tesla over the Ecotricity next to them 🤷🏼‍♂️ I obv know better but for a new EV owner I could see that being confusing

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
209 Posts
It’s not criminal damage calm down 😂
I’m no lawyer, but…

Section 1(1) Criminal Damage Act 1971 - A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another, intending to destroy or damage any such property, or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged, shall be guilty of an offence.

Also, Under the Road Traffic Act (1988): "If you’re driving a motorised vehicle and are involved in an accident which causes damage or injury to another person, vehicle, property or animal, you must stop and give your vehicle registration along with your name and address to 'anyone with reasonable grounds to be asking for those details'."

Motorists also are obliged to give their name and address to anyone else involved, as well as passing on details to insurance companies.

So needless to say she has likely broken a law. But I’ll just calm down because some anonymous person told me to on an Internet forum.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,974 Posts
I’m no lawyer, but…

Section 1(1) Criminal Damage Act 1971 - A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another, intending to destroy or damage any such property, or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged, shall be guilty of an offence.

Also, Under the Road Traffic Act (1988): "If you’re driving a motorised vehicle and are involved in an accident which causes damage or injury to another person, vehicle, property or animal, you must stop and give your vehicle registration along with your name and address to 'anyone with reasonable grounds to be asking for those details'."

Motorists also are obliged to give their name and address to anyone else involved, as well as passing on details to insurance companies.

So needless to say she has likely broken a law. But I’ll just calm down because some anonymous person told me to on an Internet forum.
No, don't calm down. You're correct it is criminal damage.

Sadly EVs have become so popular with the 'want to be seen to be eco' crowd that this kind of thing has become a regular occurrence. So many people seem to have absolutely no clue how to use their ridiculously expensive new car that clearly has to be used differently to petrol/diesel cars!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,974 Posts
The fact that the charge cables aren't long enough to reach the charge port is a blow for Elon's plans to open up access to the Supercharger network to all otherwise compatible vehicles.
Not as much of a blow as other manufacturers not being willing to pay for it though, presumably.

I agree that it's pretty dumb to put the charge ports just behind the front wheel. Literally the most inaccessible location on the vehicle! Right at the front or at the back somewhere is much more sensible.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
1 - 20 of 37 Posts